OT: Moving to Georgia | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Moving to Georgia

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
OP have you thought about buying a 2 bedroom condo in the Old Fourth Ward. It is a great area with the belt line and all the cool shops and restaurants and great place to exercise and walk. I know my wife and I who have no kids miss moving from there but we wanted to own a house in the city so we decided to move to Edgewood which is only a mile a way.

3rd...how are the "transitioning" neighborhoods for crime now? I had friends who lived in Kirkwood, and left about 5 years ago because of frequent break-ins in their neighborhood. Basically...as houses transitioned they became targets for those houses that hadn't transitioned.

I have lived in Roswell....Buckhead and now Midtown. Midtown has an insane amount of construction right now (West Peachtree and Spring Street) as they are finishing up the "Midtown Mile"...which is basically a work/live/play concept. While the construction is annoying right now...the walkability is great. It seems like every weekend there is some festival or event in Piedmont Park that you can walk to. And...the MARTA station gets you to the airport in 30 minutes. Living in Midtown almost eliminates the traffic issue. From my perspective, It's worth the extra investment to avoid the traffic aggravation.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wait, who said I was unemployed??

You just posted you need to find jobs there. Sort of takes Sea Isle out of the mix. It was a joke about $’s humblebrag. Relax.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You just posted you need to find jobs there. Sort of takes Sea Isle out of the mix. It was a joke about $’s humblebrag. Relax.
Take it easy on the guy. He's in a bind 'cause he's way behind and he is willin' to make a deal.

Reaction Score
Get your dental work taken care of before you move.
BS...my daughter and son-in-law have a great family practice in Smyrna, and you can get excellent specialty work done here. PM me for recommendations...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
BS...my daughter and son-in-law have a great family practice in Smyrna, and you can get excellent specialty work done here. PM me for recommendations...
August told me you were toothless?

Reaction Score
I live on the Beltline in Collier Hills. The area is being actively gentrified with condos at all price levels. Midtown is on a long term plan to go back to a walkable city with an eclectic population...drawing people back from the suburbs. Just to my west and south, the Western Addition is building out quickly. Probably where the best investments are in this part of town. We are right by Georgia Tech, so there is a college town ambiance, as well.

Reaction Score
Hello All:

My wife and I are moving to Georgia.

As some of you know, my wife is from Georgia and went to UGA.

We're looking at either Atlanta or Athens.

I know there are some Boneyarders who either live, or have connections to, the area.

Anything you'd like to share about real estate/jobs/culture etc. I'd love to hear it.

-Guapo

I graduated from UCONN in 08 and moved to Atlanta in 2010. I have lived in midtown, 4th ward, Buckhead, and recently bought a house in Acworth. DM me if you have any questions about the area.

Reaction Score
I live on the Beltline in Collier Hills. The area is being actively gentrified with condos at all price levels. Midtown is on a long term plan to go back to a walkable city with an eclectic population...drawing people back from the suburbs. Just to my west and south, the Western Addition is building out quickly. Probably where the best investments are in this part of town. We are right by Georgia Tech, so there is a college town ambiance, as well.

I worked at Tech from 2010-2015, live in Acworth now.... West midtown has come a long way in the last 5 years.

Reaction Score
In Atlanta, some of the "up and coming" places we've been looking at from afar are the Westview/Cascade Road area, East Atlanta (if there are any affordable places left), Bush Mtn/Venetian Hills/Oakland area, Sylvan Hills. Outside Atlanta proper, we seem to be interested in Hapeville and the East Lake area in Decatur.

We'd like to buy a house rather than a condo. We don't have kids and I don't think we're planning to in the very near future so school quality is not at the top of our list of things we're considering.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
An instant message for kids like OTP and me who grew up on AOL Instant Messenger

That's still what everyone calls it as far as I know. We use Skype at work all the time, and the verb is still "send me an IM"

Reaction Score
I just moved from CT. about 8 months ago and moved to Cobb County Acworth, GA. I absolutely love it, Atlanta is close enough that I go often, heck I even bought season tickets to the Falcons at the new stadium. Things are very affordable here. The best advice given was live close to where you work. There are a lot of great areas Atlantic Station, Peachtree City, Vinings etc. I moved to Cobb County for the school system since I have little ones.

Reaction Score
I live up in Cumming (Forsyth County) and work down in the Perimeter/Buckhead area. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions you might have.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My son lived in Buckhead.Very nice. He worked Atlanta, Athens and now in Savannah. For good he says. My wife retires is July, I am giving her an ultimatum. We move to Georgia.

Near Savannah I assume. Don't rule out South Carolina across the river. Way more retirement focused areas in between Hilton Head and Beaufort. Bluffton is booming. I was down in Savannah last week, still a beautiful city.

Reaction Score
Eat pizza everyday until you leave for Georgia because you will cry when you eat a pie they call pizza down there.

Atlanta area is great though. Have family that lives in sandy springs

Reaction Score
I'm so overwhelmed (in a good way) with all the responses. Thank you all so much!

I had no idea that there were so many 'yarders living down there. I knew @August_West and, obviously, @AtlantaHusky had some connection to Georgia, but I'm totally blown away.

Again, for all those who offered to D/IM, I will be in touch.

Our lease here in DC ends at the end of May, so the move will (hopefully) happen sometime around then, save for one of us getting a great gig and moving down sooner.

Reaction Score
Near Savannah I assume. Don't rule out South Carolina across the river. Way more retirement focused areas in between Hilton Head and Beaufort. Bluffton is booming. I was down in Savannah last week, still a beautiful city.

My father already told my mother they are moving to south Carolina when they retire. Can't go wrong with either

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I already live in DC.

The pizza is...

Less than great.
Have you been to We the Pizza? I thought it was decent and I'm about as pizza-snobby as they come.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I'm so overwhelmed (in a good way) with all the responses. Thank you all so much!

I had no idea that there were so many 'yarders living down there. I knew @August_West and, obviously, @AtlantaHusky had some connection to Georgia, but I'm totally blown away.

Our lease here in DC ends at the end of May, so the move will (hopefully) happen sometime around then, save for one of us getting a great gig and moving down sooner.

OK now I feel bad. You're too nice.

Don't take my previous advice and look at the Bluff's.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

you need @AtlHusky in this thread. We met up in Alpharetta a few months ago. @OneTrickPony and I met up in Dunwoody. Both incredibly great guys and extensive Hotlanta knowledge.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom