OT: Moving to Georgia | The Boneyard

OT: Moving to Georgia

Reaction Score
Hello All:

My wife and I are moving to Georgia.

As some of you know, my wife is from Georgia and went to UGA.

We're looking at either Atlanta or Athens.

I know there are some Boneyarders who either live, or have connections to, the area.

Anything you'd like to share about real estate/jobs/culture etc. I'd love to hear it.

-Guapo

Reaction Score
Hello All:

I know there are some Boneyarders who either live, or have connections to, the area.

Anything you'd like to share about real estate/jobs/culture etc. I'd love to hear it.

-Guapo
My wife works with Piedmont Healthcare, and we live in Buckhead just north of midtown Atlanta. Give me an IM with some particulars...

Reaction Score
I'm in Alpharetta. Athens to Atlanta is a pretty big swing. You can PM me and I can share what I know...

Reaction Score
Hello All:

-Guapo
Do you already have a job? I live in Edgewood which is a neighborhood in Atlanta and like it as normally don't have to deal with traffic. Weather is nice except for this winter being a little bit colder than normal with snow storms and grey days. I'm actually thinking of moving to St. Pete now as I need warmer weather as I get older and Atlanta is a little on the boring side as far as night life(not talking about clubs). I also like a more walkable city like ST. Pete as Atlanta isn't pedestrian friendly at all. Little or no sidewalks in the suburbs. Also, not sure if you have kids(I don't) but you might have to send your kids to Private school as the public ones aren't good except in the Norther Suburbs.

Reaction Score
Marietta native here. If you have a choice, I would definitely lean toward Athens. That keeps you away from the traffic mess. You can’t even go anywhere on a weekend fast. A really awesome town out that way is Madison, closer to I-20...small town but close enough to the big city. You obviously know the people and culture if you’re married to one. Down to earth, laid-back and friendly except when in the car. I recommend picking up a tennis racket if your subdivision has courts...ALTA is a blast on weekends...a little exercise and then a little more beer before Noon.

The one thing that I missed growing up down there was a sense of community. Whether it was in CT or PA now...I love the 4th of July parades, Halloween parade, small town events that I give my kids up here. As an example, I went to a high school that had 3,000 students...my class had 800. I didn’t know half of my graduating class. So, if you can find a great niche that avoids the congestion, I’d recommend it. But, really, it depends on your current life stage...kids, no kids, etc.

You’ll absolutely love the access to anything and everything - from restaurants to concerts and such. And you’ll love the longer daylight hours...it is further West and pushes the edge of the Eastern timeline...the sun is out until 10 in the Summer. And the weather in the fall, winter and spring is pretty awesome.

Enjoy!

Reaction Score
Marietta native here. If you have a choice, I would definitely lean toward Athens. That keeps you away from the traffic mess. You can’t even go anywhere on a weekend fast. A really awesome town out that way is Madison, closer to I-20...small town but close enough to the big city. You obviously know the people and culture if you’re married to one. Down to earth, laid-back and friendly except when in the car. I recommend picking up a tennis racket if your subdivision has courts...ALTA is a blast on weekends...a little exercise and then a little more beer before Noon.

The one thing that I missed growing up down there was a sense of community. Whether it was in CT or PA now...I love the 4th of July parades, Halloween parade, small town events that I give my kids up here. As an example, I went to a high school that had 3,000 students...my class had 800. I didn’t know half of my graduating class. So, if you can find a great niche that avoids the congestion, I’d recommend it. But, really, it depends on your current life stage...kids, no kids, etc.

You’ll absolutely love the access to anything and everything - from restaurants to concerts and such. And you’ll love the longer daylight hours...it is further West and pushes the edge of the Eastern timeline...the sun is out until 10 in the Summer. And the weather in the fall, winter and spring is pretty awesome.

Enjoy!
Yeah, but it is really day and night the decision. I mean Atlanta has a lot more entertainment even with dull night life than anything Athens can offer. Also, it is starting to get very diverse in Atlanta and the suburbs which you won't really find out in Athens. Also, you have to remember most jobs are in Atlanta so unless he is going to be a teacher Athens might not work. It really is a decision of preference. If he desires a slower, not diverse area than Athens. If not than I would choose the ATL. Both have plusses and minuses. I of course can't live anywhere but a city but I like to be near the action and life. While Atlanta is big it really isn't at all dense so it isn't like you won't have your personal space living here.

Reaction Score
Wow, thank everyone for all these responses!

For those who offered to IM, I really appreciate it. We'll be in touch.

Some more details; we're in our mid-late 20's, we don't have kids and don't plan to have them in the very near future. Therefore, we'd be willing to look into buying in some more "currently gentrifying" areas of Atlanta where maybe the schools aren't quite so great.

Just to be clear re: Athens, we aren't talking about commuting to Atlanta from there.

The appeal is we love the town, the size, culture etc. We were married there. My wife has connections to Zaxby's and their corporate HQ is located in Athens and my in laws have a tailgate house in town. You can get a lot of bang for your buck living there or Watkinsville. It's just a matter of being able to find gainful employment out there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Some more details; we're in our mid-late 20's, we don't have kids and don't plan to have them in the very near future. Therefore, we'd be willing to look into buying in some more "currently gentrifying" areas of Atlanta where maybe the schools aren't quite so great.

Just to be clear re: Athens, we aren't talking about commuting to Atlanta from there.

The appeal is we love the town, the size, culture etc. We were married there. My wife has connections to Zaxby's and their corporate HQ is located in Athens and my in laws have a tailgate house in town. You can get a lot of bang for your buck living there or Watkinsville. It's just a matter of being able to find gainful employment out there.
Feel free to reach out to me in an IM since I live in one of those gentrifying areas of Atlanta in Edgewood. We have a nice couple who are in their 20's and I just helped the husband on his federal background check for a job at Georgia Tech. Not sure of your budget but there are still a few houses on the east side of atlanta that you can get a good deal on. The west side is just starting the gentrification we have already seen so depending on your budget you might have to search over there.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

If you're mid 20s and looking to be in ATL proper, Reynoldstown and Cabbagetown are both hip but not outrageous. Little 5 points is supposed to be cool, and then Edgewood is reasonable as well (at least as far as I know). Spots like Buckhead and Paces Ferry are much more expensive.

Reaction Score
If you're mid 20s and looking to be in ATL proper, Reynoldstown and Cabbagetown are both hip but not outrageous. Little 5 points is supposed to be cool, and then Edgewood is reasonable as well (at least as far as I know). Spots like Buckhead and Paces Ferry are much more expensive.
Reynoldstown. Kirkwood, and Cabbagetown are getting outrageous. Edgewood and East Atlanta are the last neighborhoods on the east side of the city where you can get a good deal.

Reaction Score

Zaxby’s is my favorite. I too much of a coward to pull the trigger (and really enjoy my current career), but I’d love to bring that franchise to PA. It’s getting closer - has reached Winchester, VA.

Reaction Score
OP have you thought about buying a 2 bedroom condo in the Old Fourth Ward. It is a great area with the belt line and all the cool shops and restaurants and great place to exercise and walk. I know my wife and I who have no kids miss moving from there but we wanted to own a house in the city so we decided to move to Edgewood which is only a mile a way.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
My wife works with Piedmont Healthcare, and we live in Buckhead just north of midtown Atlanta. Give me an IM with some particulars...
My son lived in Buckhead.Very nice. He worked Atlanta, Athens and now in Savannah. For good he says. My wife retires is July, I am giving her an ultimatum. We move to Georgia.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
What the hell is an IM?[
An instant message for kids like OTP and me who grew up on AOL Instant Messenger
For Kids? Depending what kind of message boards or chat room you go to, there rooms that are age specific. There are many older people who IM.

Reaction Score
Buckhead here. Lived here a long time, feel free to PM me. Where 3rd bass lives is happening, but now runover with hollywood doofuses. Scote is a very connected dude in that area, we all can get together to watch a game sometime. I wouldn't recommend Buckhead. 3rd has some other good suggestions. I like Brookhaven/Chamblee as well as an upcoming area north of town. Uber / Lyft changed everything in Atlanta. It's not pedestrian or driving friendly but if you want to go out, just catch an uber anywhere. It's really inexpensive if you live anywhere in the perimeter area.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
For up and coming nieighnorhoods I'd recommend the Bluffs. Get some Bang for your buck. Perfect for a young couple.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
People I know who live in Atlanta love it. But those who work in he area say traffic is the worst. Like horrible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom