OT: Mizzou black football players taking a stand | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Mizzou black football players taking a stand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It is a little hard to follow along. I get the historical context stuff. Demanding more faculty of color? I guess they can show where faculty of color have been passed over for similarly qualified whites. To us who are far removed from the situation, read their demands list, it is still difficult to comprehend what will satisfy them short of firing the school president.

I'll be honest and say this is where I typically disagree with these protests. They bring issues to light which are important but they don't really bring solutions. It's tough because there is no way to reasonably expunge racism besides a culture change. My feeling is that they want a president who will at least acknowledge the past that Missouri has had and make steps to change the culture of the campus. What those steps might be are beyond my pay-grade but as a University President you have a duty to acknowledge the issues that all students deal with day in and day out. If racism is one of those things, you must do something to change the culture.

Reaction Score
The multiple "n" word instances and a swastika drawn with feces on a bathroom floor all within the first 3 months of the year.

I bet if you were surrounded by people of a different race than you in a part of the country that had multiple historical instances of oppression towards your racial demographic, them shouting slurs at you would be terrifying and unsettling.

I understand that. Why should the president lose his job? Did he endorse or ignore the behavior? That's where I'm lost. And their list of demands is kinda stupid.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I understand that. Why should the president lose his job? Did he endorse or ignore the behavior? That's where I'm lost. And their list of demands is kinda stupid.
He ignored it.

Bottom line, students should feel safe and things like swastikas are veiled threats. Maybe the president isn't responsible for every act of speech or violence on campus, but they should be responsible for a safe atmosphere. By not saying or doing anything for weeks, the president allowed the tension to escalate. Lack of leadership.

Reaction Score
Jimmy Serrano said:
What current situation? Getting called the "n" word from a pickup truck by a bunch of idiot rednecks?

You obviously have a computer. I'm sure it's equipped with Google. What is possibly preventing you from answering the question you keep repeating? Deadspin did a pretty exhaustive overview of the situation yesterday. Shouldn't be hard to find.

Separately, old white people complaining about young people of color taking a stand against racism will never cease to be entertaining.

Reaction Score
You obviously have a computer. I'm sure it's equipped with Google. What is possibly preventing you from answering the question you keep repeating? Deadspin did a pretty exhaustive overview of the situation yesterday. Shouldn't be hard to find.

Separately, old white people complaining about young people of color taking a stand against racism will never cease to be entertaining.
Yea old white people never lived thru racism. Good lord.

Reaction Score
You're out of your depth, sport.
I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean? You're telling people to "grow up" because they're aware of and sensitive to social issues in 2015, which the old and white demographic likes to ignore. You're probably voting for Trump, too.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean? You're telling people to "grow up" because they're aware of and sensitive to social issues in 2015, which the old and white demographic likes to ignore. You're probably voting for Trump, too.
Who the hell are you to say the old and white demographic likes to ignore social issues. I have to agree with Fishy regarding you being out of your depth.

Reaction Score
So are the white players not joining in on this? I don't know much about this story; just noticed the specifics of the OP

Reaction Score

Why don't you go yourself?

Reaction Score
How do you know if I'm old and white? And even if I was, aren't you generalizing and stereotyping? Irony much?

did I say you were?

Also, from Pew Research:

"The polling finds that older generations – Boomers and especially Silents – do not fully embrace diversity. Fewer in these groups see the increasing populations of Latinos and Asians, as well as more racial intermarriage, as changes for the better. For many Silents in particular, Obama himself may represent an unwelcome indicator of the way the face of America has changed. Feelings of “unease” with Obama, along with higher levels of anger, are the emotions that most differentiate the attitudes of Silents from those of the youngest generation."

A pretty roundabout way of saying old white people are still racist.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You're out of your depth, sport.
sport?

digging.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics