OT: Mizzou black football players taking a stand | The Boneyard

OT: Mizzou black football players taking a stand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Missouri's black players have said they will not participate in any football related activities until the school President resigns. This is due to dissatisfaction in how the President has handled (or not handled) recent racial issues on campus. Mizzou plays BYU in 6 days.

Link

Reaction Score
Now this is awkward

195747.jpg

Poor marketing dude must be banging his head on the cinderblock wall in the football complex..

Reaction Score
Missouri's black players have said they will not participate in any football related activities until the school President resigns. This is due to dissatisfaction in how the President has handled (or not handled) recent racial issues on campus. Mizzou plays BYU in 6 days.

Link
I have seen this, but have not seen what the president has failed to address that has occured on campus. Anyone have a scoop?

Reaction Score
We are finally going to get an answer to the question: In the SEC who has more power: Football or University?

So, this will be fascinating.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
I just read the link. What's the players' beef with the President? That the car he was in as a passenger bumped a protestor? Or that racism exists on campus? If it's the latter, that's everywhere, so not sure what this is protesting? Did he do something?

Reaction Score
I just read the link. What's the players' beef with the President? That the car he was in as a passenger bumped a protestor? Or that racism exists on campus? If it's the latter, that's everywhere, so not sure what this is protesting? Did he do something?

In the meeting with the black student union, he plead ignorance to any issues.

I credit the players for putting things on the line. On the other hand, they shot too high with their demands. They could have had a win. The school isn't going to fire the President over this.

Also, the football coaches are overtly backing or supporting the players in their demand to have the President fired?

Say wha? I'm assuming that Pinkel is on his way out--but how will that reflect on his next job?

Reaction Score
In the meeting with the black student union, he plead ignorance to any issues.

I credit the players for putting things on the line. On the other hand, they shot too high with their demands. They could have had a win. The school isn't going to fire the President over this.

Also, the football coaches are overtly backing or supporting the players in their demand to have the President fired?

Say wha? I'm assuming that Pinkel is on his way out--but how will that reflect on his next job?
This was my read as well. Essentially the FB coach is saying the President gotta go. This is all very, very deep. Interesting to see how it shakes out

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

He's the president...when instances of racism happen on campus, it's his job to react accordingly/swiftly and to create measures to lessen instances of racism. Of course racism can't be totally eradicated, but plenty of things can be done to ensure that it isn't facilitated on college campuses.

Reaction Score
But according to the boneyard none of this is the responsibility of the president :rolleyes:

At least that's what they said when I mentioned I don't like Herbst

Reaction Score
Also, the football coaches are overtly backing or supporting the players in their demand to have the President fired? Say wha? I'm assuming that Pinkel is on his way out--but how will that reflect on his next job?

This was my read as well. Essentially the FB coach is saying the President gotta go. This is all very, very deep. Interesting to see how it shakes out

A cynical person would wonder whether he would take the same stand if they were 7-2 instead of 4-5? It's almost like he bought himself another year (at least) by taking this stance.

Reaction Score
A cynical person would wonder whether he would take the same stand if they were 7-2 instead of 4-5? It's almost like he bought himself another year (at least) by taking this stance.
Is Pinkell really on any sort of hot seat?? He has had the in the SEC title game multiple times in recent seasons. This is Missouri. For most of my life they have sucked. SEC title game for crying out loud.

Reaction Score
Is Pinkell really on any sort of hot seat?? He has had the in the SEC title game multiple times in recent seasons. This is Missouri. For most of my life they have sucked. SEC title game for crying out loud.

The "buying another year" comment was only based on the growing fan noise for 2015 - not from an AD perspective for 2016. I'm not saying he's wrong in his stance/support of his players but some wonder whether taking a forfeit would be in the cards if they had a better record?

Reaction Score
As Mizzou's most successful head coach in his 15th season and after coaching the Tigers to SEC East 1st place finishes the two prior seasons, typically it would appear to be a leap of assumption to think Pinkel's on his way out. Time will tell, but apparently Missouri's new AD arrived in Columbia earlier this year. For a school with limited success historically, perhaps the new guy has his own ideas regarding gridiron coaching.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
In their list of demands they want the president to publicly acknowledge his white privilege lol. President is in a no win situation. It was probably very difficult to figure out who actually yelled a racial slur out of a moving vehicle or drew a swastika on a construction site(btw isn't that more anti-semetic than it is racist?). I have read nothing that would lead me to believe there's a systemic racial problem at the university.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I was raised to be accountable, never make excuses, attack challenges head on, life is tough you're not a victim. Maybe I should raise my 2 young children to play the victim game, blame others, make lots of excuses; it seems to be working better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom