OT: "I could(n't) care less." | The Boneyard

OT: "I could(n't) care less."

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The ultimate expression of disdain -- total lack of interest -- is to state: "I couldn't care less" about it. Occasionally posters lapse into carelessness and state (mistakenly): "I could care less," which suggests that, yes, an ounce of concern still exists. However virtuous, it's not what the writer meant.

If this distinction remains confusing, next time you want to express your distaste for a topic, try something like this: "I don't give a rat's patootie if Coach__________ gets fired or not!";)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The ultimate expression of disdain -- total lack of interest -- is to state: "I couldn't care less" about it. Occasionally posters lapse into carelessness and state (mistakenly): "I could care less," which suggests that, yes, an ounce of concern still exists. However virtuous, it's not what the writer meant.

If this distinction remains confusing, next time you want to express your distaste for a topic, try something like this: "I don't give a rat's patootie if Coach__________ gets fired or not!";)
And once again, to your grammar lessons.......;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Tiger Woods consistently got the phrase wrong.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

I think most people have disdain even when they apply it correctly. They just don't realize the nonsensical nature when they say I couldn't care less.

Reaction Score
Following on Kib's point.

drives me nuts when someone says, it's impossible to underestimate the importance of....

Of course, it's possible to underestimate the importance of anything. You want to say it's impossible to overestimate it

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As someone who, "don't always speak or write good," I prefer focusing on whether the spoken or written word conforms with acceptable English lexicon, which is different than "proper grammar." Basically, my only hurdle is, "do I understand what you are trying to say?" If the answer is "yes" then I'm good.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We all have malapropisms and grammatical errors that rub us the wrong way. The use of "could care less" is one of mine. The absolute worst for me, however, is when a kid talks about the opponents that he or she is "versing" that day. It's like finger nails scratching a chalkboard.

So I took a quick a look at a web urban dictionary and found this:

The verb form of the word "verses". It should be used like this: "Did you see that match? It was red verses blue!"

However more people use it the innocorect way: "Are you versing him later?" Let me just tell you all that THIS IS NOT A WORD. Its not even slang! Its just stupid!
Are you versing him later?
Its just me verses him.
Ill verse him for you!

Facepalm_statue1-1038x576.png

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
"As linguist Steven Pinker points out in his book The Language Instinct (p. 377), the melodies and stresses in “I couldn’t care less” and “I could care less” are very different, and the positive version indicates youthful sarcasm: “By making an assertion that is manifestly false or accompanied by ostentatiously mannered intonation, one deliberately implies its opposite. A good paraphrase is, ‘Oh yeah, as if there was something in the world that I care less about.’ ”

Reaction Score

\

I couldn't care less if I died tomorrow! But with the rapidity of the changing of acceptable words and phrases those that are not thought proper today, probably will be widely accepted tomorrow. In the past 50 years so many words have changed to acceptable and have had meaning changes it boggles my minuscule brain. Gay comes immediately to me. Once when we said -we were young and gay--meant we were young and happy--today most would not use Gay in that manner. Once presently had an accepted meaning meant (among 2) in a little while--today it is accepted to mean currently.
So if you don't like a phrase or usage of a word--wait half a century and you'll like it.
I ask you--where is Bob Steele when we need him???

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"As linguist Steven Pinker points out in his book The Language Instinct (p. 377), the melodies and stresses in “I couldn’t care less” and “I could care less” are very different, and the positive version indicates youthful sarcasm: “By making an assertion that is manifestly false or accompanied by ostentatiously mannered intonation, one deliberately implies its opposite. A good paraphrase is, ‘Oh yeah, as if there was something in the world that I care less about.’ ”

Isn't it interesting even linguists and English Professors--while irritated with it's usage--know exactly it's meaning.
When that happens--the reason for the use of the English system has been completed--and communications has been achieved.. In my youth teachers and Professor and some parents were railing over the use of Ain't---ain't that so??

Reaction Score
We all have malapropisms and grammatical errors that rub us the wrong way. The use of "could care less" is one of mine. The absolute worst for me, however, is when a kid talks about the opponents that he or she is "versing" that day. It's like finger nails scratching a chalkboard.

So I took a quick a look at a web urban dictionary and found this:

The verb form of the word "verses". It should be used like this: "Did you see that match? It was red verses blue!"

However more people use it the innocorect way: "Are you versing him later?" Let me just tell you all that THIS IS NOT A WORD. Its not even slang! Its just stupid!
Are you versing him later?
Its just me verses him.
Ill verse him for you!

Facepalm_statue1-1038x576.png
Youse got it wrong--youse verses me--hass ben round for uh hun dred years or so--youse just din meat the rite people.
Thurdy thurd and Bleeker st youda fond dat.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Youse got it wrong--youse verses me--hass ben round for uh hun dred years or so--youse just din meat the rite people.
Thurdy thurd and Bleeker st youda fond dat.
It's versus, VERSUS, not verses!

[I know you know that. It's just a sore point.]

Reaction Score
I think most people have disdain even when they apply it correctly. They just don't realize the nonsensical nature when they say I couldn't care less.

IRREGARDLESS--you still understand what is being conveyed--communications has happened.

Reaction Score
Bags--it impossible to convey how I underestimate or under appreciate some comments (not yours). I
Usually say never say never--but never does come. As you have a BAG of memory
you'd know who said--Nothing is impossible under the sun.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
As someone who, "don't always speak or write good," I prefer focusing on whether the spoken or written word conforms with acceptable English lexicon, which is different than "proper grammar." Basically, my only hurdle is, "do I understand what you are trying to say?" If the answer is "yes" then I'm good.

I have relied on the vernacular myself for emphasis a couple times recently.

I suggested that our players "Play hard, play smart, have fun. . . and. . .don't nobody get hurt!"

And I reminded ND fans that ""Neither Diggins nor Novosel nor McBride nor Loyd ain't gonna walk in that door!";)

Reaction Score

You and me musta went to the same SKool. Perfect English is great in a Class room, even in Math courses--that's a learning environment. I expect proper usage and proper grandma in noose papers or on the tube (whatever that is)--but it ain't happening.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't understand 1/2 the things I want to understand and the 1/2 I understand I wish I didn't.

Reaction Score
Kib, you realize the original meaning of patootie was sland for sweet potatoe and was used to reference cute girl friend. She's one sweet patootie! This slang usage is making a come back, including in business. Patootie Parties | Cutie Patootie

Ain't she a sweet patootie---used often for a good looking girl (even if she was 50) half a century ago. Why is it
you can use BadASS for some player -but not kiss my ------(sweet patootie) A___!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

I will on occasion though when confronted with someone who "could care less", ask them, how much? I usually get a dumb look. "How much less could you care?"

Reaction Score
It's versus, VERSUS, not verses!

[I know you know that. It's just a sore point.]
The original quote was red verses blue--just used that which was given.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

I have to ask as you have made me curious, what prompted this thread? If just a random thought, than I guess "I couldn't care less"....

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Y'all can just relax cause Suri or whoever else runs these phone gadgets is making the call on whats put down ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom