OT: "I could(n't) care less." | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: "I could(n't) care less."

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ain't she a sweet patootie---used often for a good looking girl (even if she was 50) half a century ago. Why is it
you can use BadASS for some player -but not kiss my ------(sweet patootie) A___!
You might get away with Arse.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I have to ask as you have made me curious, what prompted this thread? If just a random thought, than I guess "I couldn't care less"....

As I stated, some posters "lapsed into carelessness," and I didn't want to call them out for errant expression. (Lots of time between games, too.);)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
We all have malapropisms and grammatical errors that rub us the wrong way. The use of "could care less" is one of mine. The absolute worst for me, however, is when a kid talks about the opponents that he or she is "versing" that day. It's like finger nails scratching a chalkboard.

So I took a quick a look at a web urban dictionary and found this:

The verb form of the word "verses". It should be used like this: "Did you see that match? It was red verses blue!"

However more people use it the innocorect way: "Are you versing him later?" Let me just tell you all that THIS IS NOT A WORD. Its not even slang! Its just stupid!
Are you versing him later?
Its just me verses him.
Ill verse him for you!

Facepalm_statue1-1038x576.png
So does this mean you don't believe in the theory of multiverses?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As I stated, some posters "lapsed into carelessness," and I didn't want to call them out for errant expression. (Lots of time between games, too.);)
Ok, got it. I thought there was a specific, blatant irritant vs. general posters using it incorrectly. I was ready to have your back, however now knowing it's a general issue "I couldn't care....."

Reaction Score
I could care less when people use the phrase "I could care less" when they mean "I could not care less". It bugs the hell outta me.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
The ultimate expression of disdain -- total lack of interest -- is to state: "I couldn't care less" about it. Occasionally posters lapse into carelessness and state (mistakenly): "I could care less," which suggests that, yes, an ounce of concern still exists. However virtuous, it's not what the writer meant.

If this distinction remains confusing, next time you want to express your distaste for a topic, try something like this: "I don't give a rat's patootie if Coach__________ gets fired or not!";)

Thank you. Well said. This is also one of my many complaints about people butchering phrases. I'm no Bob Steele but in this day and age many people just have no clue.

Reaction Score
The ultimate expression of disdain -- total lack of interest -- is to state: "I couldn't care less" about it. Occasionally posters lapse into carelessness and state (mistakenly): "I could care less," which suggests that, yes, an ounce of concern still exists. However virtuous, it's not what the writer meant.

If this distinction remains confusing, next time you want to express your distaste for a topic, try something like this: "I don't give a rat's patootie if Coach__________ gets fired or not!";)
Or just sing it instead.:D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom