OT: Good news for the USMNT game at The Rent | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Good news for the USMNT game at The Rent

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
So Wondo is only as good as the competition in the GC?

Wondo is having a great tourney so far, and it's mostly due to the competition, IMHO. It will be more interesting to see how he performs in the knockout stages, or in friendlies against stronger sides. Also, one has to consider that there are forwards with a great deal more talent in front of him (and that's not saying a heck of a lot from the US side, which is constantly struggling to find productive forwards!). But consider this; Altidore and one of Dempsey/Donovan are light years ahead of Wondo. One could argue that there are at least two or three other forwards that are noticeably better, including Eddie Johnson.

For Wondo's part, he is doing everything in his power to make sure his name is in the conversation and he's going to make it hard for Klinsmann to leave him off the squad. That's a good thing for the US...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Thinking a bit more about Beckerman's WC chances, there may be a need to have an extra DM. Jones has the most skill between him, Beckerman, and Cameron by a large margin. But, he is almost certain to miss one or more WC matches due to suspension as he is a card magnet and subject to outbursts. He also has a tendency to want to push forward, which would be great if that didn't keep Bradley, a much more dangerous attacking player, from pushing forward.

Ideally, these two would play off each other better with Jones favoring the defensive role all else being equal. This hasn't happened as well as it should. I suspect Jones doesn't feel the need to take a backseat to Bradley, and will tend to push forward when he shouldn't leaving an inexperienced defense exposed.

Since Bradley is no stranger to yellow card accumulation, the US could find itself a man or two down in central midfield. Now I think may of the attacking pieces are interchangeable, and you only need one of Jones, Cameron, or Bradley for the DM spot, but JK may think differently. Especially, if Cameron is the #1 backup in central defense. If that's the case I could possibly see JK using a combination of Beckerman and Holden to cover for one of the missing midfielders, but I think that's stretching things. Now ,a late injury to any of the other three will land Kyle a trip to Brazil.

I wildly disagree with your assessment that Jones is more talented than Beckerman or Cameron by a wide margin. The reason that Jones is on a big German club as well as the starting role for the US is that he is a brutal tackler on the defensive end. Your point about him being a yellow card magnet is also due to him being a brutal tackler on the defensive end. But the next creative, penetrating ball that I see Jones give will be the first one. Quite like you, I would prefer Bradley to be much more advanced and not have to spend half his day in the back. But he does so because Jones is seemingly incapable of building up the play with his feet.

Cameron has shown that he can do that in two games. I believe the Germany friendly was the one where he was ridiculously impressive. However, it should tell you everything that you need to know about Klinsmann that he didn't follow it up with a starting role in the very next WCQualifier. He is locked into Jones. Cameron's best chance at this point (like you pointed out) is to make the squad as a defender.

Having said that, I still think JK will add the third defensive midfielder to the squad, and I also agree with you that it will likely not be Edu. Maybe Kliestjan, although my God, I don't think much of him either...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But consider this; Altidore and one of Dempsey/Donovan are light years ahead of Wondo.

I don't know about light years. He's a scorer. Who has scored more goals over the last few year than Wando? In his present form he can be a useful player for this team.

Reaction Score
Wondo has done this against teams that are worse than your average MLS team. Good that he is doing it, and his first one yesterday was really nice, but my opinion of him has not really changed.

Jones is real good.

I am a Houston fan, Cameron is best at CD, no doubt in my mind.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I don't know about light years. He's a scorer. Who has scored more goals over the last few year than Wando? In his present form he can be a useful player for this team.

You mean before the last two games against Belize and Cuba??? Umm....it's not even close. Wondo has one US international goal outside of those games. If you are talking about club team soccer, I think that Dempsey's goals in the Premiership are a great deal more impressive than Wondo's against the MLS, even if I love the MLS.

I'm not saying Wondo can't be useful, don't get me wrong. What I'm saying is that he hasn't yet displayed the skill sets to displace any of those top three strikers...

Reaction Score
I wildly disagree with your assessment that Jones is more talented than Beckerman or Cameron by a wide margin. The reason that Jones is on a big German club as well as the starting role for the US is that he is a brutal tackler on the defensive end. Your point about him being a yellow card magnet is also due to him being a brutal tackler on the defensive end. But the next creative, penetrating ball that I see Jones give will be the first one. Quite like you, I would prefer Bradley to be much more advanced and not have to spend half his day in the back. But he does so because Jones is seemingly incapable of building up the play with his feet.

Cameron has shown that he can do that in two games. I believe the Germany friendly was the one where he was ridiculously impressive. However, it should tell you everything that you need to know about Klinsmann that he didn't follow it up with a starting role in the very next WCQualifier. He is locked into Jones. Cameron's best chance at this point (like you pointed out) is to make the squad as a defender.

Having said that, I still think JK will add the third defensive midfielder to the squad, and I also agree with you that it will likely not be Edu. Maybe Kliestjan, although my God, I don't think much of him either...

Jones is a starting CM on a champions league club ... probably one of the top 5 CM's in the BL. He has toned down the senseless tackles and yellow cards, and some of his long passes are top notch. I place him above Beckerman and Cameron by a very wide margin. Although I wish he would tone down the runs forward and give Bradley a chance to support the attack more often.

Where I disagree with Subba is Fabian Johnson. If Beasley maintains his form I could see Fabian as an option at LAM, and if Beasley falters he'll slide back with no trouble at all. He is a lock IMHO.

Great summaries by Subba and everyone else and great overall thread! Hope to see you guys Tuesday night!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Jones is a starting CM on a champions league club ... probably one of the top 5 CM's in the BL. He has toned down the senseless tackles and yellow cards, and some of his long passes are top notch. I place him above Beckerman and Cameron by a very wide margin. Although I wish he would tone down the runs forward and give Bradley a chance to support the attack more often.

Where I disagree with Subba is Fabian Johnson. If Beasley maintains his form I could see Fabian as an option at LAM, and if Beasley falters he'll slide back with no trouble at all. He is a lock IMHO.

Great summaries by Subba and everyone else and great overall thread! Hope to see you guys Tuesday night!

Jones is a better player who doesn't quite fit the culture of the US squad. In he BL he is still a mercurial player but has a lot more offensive responsibility than the US needs from him. He's a bit clumsy on the ball, but can run with it and does look to advance it. As Kgun said, steps on Bradley's game too much.

Beasley is the first choice LD aorn and it he shows he can handle the better attackers, I think he keeps it. He been the best defender this cycle though I realize it's not his natural position.

Fabian I think will make the team, but if LD is playing LAM, then Johnson isn't. It may be Johnson v. Zusi for a staring spot with LD taking the opposite wing. Lots of variables. There will be competition for all spots, both roster and starting, but we can read some of the tea leaves.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain to me a little more about Zusi? I haven't seen many of his games and he doesn't sport great numbers in CAPS. Seems to have nice skills, passing and crosses and average pace but not great. Is he just more solid in that particular position vs the other guys?

Reaction Score
Jones is a better player who doesn't quite fit the culture of the US squad. In he BL he is still a mercurial player but has a lot more offensive responsibility than the US needs from him. He's a bit clumsy on the ball, but can run with it and does look to advance it. As Kgun said, steps on Bradley's game too much.

Beasley is the first choice LD aorn and it he shows he can handle the better attackers, I think he keeps it. He been the best defender this cycle though I realize it's not his natural position.

Fabian I think will make the team, but if LD is playing LAM, then Johnson isn't. It may be Johnson v. Zusi for a staring spot with LD taking the opposite wing. Lots of variables. There will be competition for all spots, both roster and starting, but we can read some of the tea leaves.

There are 2 ways to look at all this speculation: what would we do? vs what would JK do? I think if LD warrants a spot then it will be at RAM. Zusi sits and Fabian plays the LAM because Fabian > Zusi ... but what JK does is anyone's guess ... ???

Reaction Score
I think a lot of it hinges on if cherundolo plays at RB. He'll need a lot less support than most of the others on the team. When LD plays a true wing he has one the best defensive support work rates out there. I'd say LD on the left and zusi on the right. Take FJ on team as he is so versatile. He plays LD, LM, and can switch right. He has a very good left but he actually is naturally right footed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'd like to throw this out to the board - It seems to me that Klinsman is everything we could have hoped for as head coach for the USMNT. He's changed the culture and style of the team for the better. They attack. He doesn't play favorites, he gives everyone a chance. "Stars" can't rest on their laurels, they have to work and produce to get PT. The players have responded in kind. Guys I have never heard of come in and contribute. It's exciting. Even though the team is through to the next round we will see their best effort tomorrow because the coach will insist upon it.

Reaction Score
I do NOT feel comfortable with Beasley at left back. 100x over I would rather see Johnson there.

I hope Dolo is recovered and back to his last year self. I have no idea what Chandler offers, or is willing to offer.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I'd like to throw this out to the board - It seems to me that Klinsman is everything we could have hoped for as head coach for the USMNT. He's changed the culture and style of the team for the better. They attack. He doesn't play favorites, he gives everyone a chance. "Stars" can't rest on their laurels, they have to work and produce to get PT. The players have responded in kind. Guys I have never heard of come in and contribute. It's exciting. Even though the team is through to the next round we will see their best effort tomorrow because the coach will insist upon it.

He's been good. Though I think he stays with certain guys too long and has favorites (Jones, Gonzalez). Not sure if that's for a legit reason or a knock. I guess we'll see.

I do NOT feel comfortable with Beasley at left back. 100x over I would rather see Johnson there.

I hope Dolo is recovered and back to his last year self. I have no idea what Chandler offers, or is willing to offer.

I was initially weary once it became a move of choice instead of desperation. But, has the speed, overlaps well, and holds the trap line at least as well as the other 3. He can be beaten on the flank and loses his mark occasionally, but there are bigger problems on defense so I'm OK if that's how it works out. If Johnson beats him out, that's fine too.

As for Johnson, he shows what a left footed winger can do on that side. Zusi has been consistent in delivering crosses from the right. I think LD starts on the side opposite whoever is in the better form among Johnson and Zusi or wherever side JK thinks LD has an advantage on the man marking him.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score

I winced when Beasley took the field at Azteca. But to his credit he hasn't played his way out of the position yet. A steady Beasley at LB can help shore up some other positions ... but I do agree his existence there may end if LD plays his way into the LAM role and Fabian gets moved back to LB.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I winced when Beasley took the field at Azteca. But to his credit he hasn't played his way out of the position yet. A steady Beasley at LB can help shore up some other positions ... but I do agree his existence there may end if LD plays his way into the LAM role and Fabian gets moved back to LB.

Still time but I think JK liked the look of Beasley playing with Johnson on the left But LD plays there too and also has chemistry with Beasley. If Cherundolo makes it back to start, that puts LD at RAM and its 2002 all over again.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score

Klinsmann and Vasquez have had their issues. I'm not sure what is more impressive? The recent US run ... or the recent struggles of the Mexicans. Maybe Philipp Lahm's book is the best thing to ever happen to Klinsmann and the US! :)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Anyone know how ticket sales are doing for this match?

Today's Courant article said that over 20,000 is expected. I'm hoping for 25K, but 20 is still more than the previous two US Gold Cup matches.

Reaction Score

There are a lot of factors in play. There is a greater presence of soccer on television recently than ever before in the U.S. Greater television exposure snowballs into greater interest, and there are many, many, many millions of immigrant populations of people in the USA, for whom soccer is their primary sport.

Tonight, the USA men's national soccer team has a chance to do something it's never done before, and that is win 8 straight international matches. I hope to see it happen, and I hope that we continue to see the winning.

Winning and television exposure - a very powerful combination. Klinsmann, deserves a ton of credit, for generating the kind of play that it takes. It also helps that Low (klinsmann's protégé) agreed to serve up a sacrificial lamb of a roster for the USA to begin this ride this year, back in June.

Costa Rica will want pay back, for that snow game back in the fall, even if it is Gold Cup, and WC qualifying this time.

Should be a fun match to watch, and a great way to get the tailgate gear cleaned up and primed for a few weeks from now.

Reaction Score
Watching on tv and I would say 25k easily. Looks link only the upper corners are empty.

Reaction Score
Is it wrong that I'd rather watch this (and I am) than the MLB All Star game?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wasn't easy to find Fox Soccer. If it's only 25k they did a hell of a job making it look full on television.

It's odd seeing Rentschler not look so gray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom