OT: Good news for the USMNT game at The Rent | The Boneyard

OT: Good news for the USMNT game at The Rent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Landon Donovan has been included in the 23-man roster for the US Soccer team's Gold Cup campaign. This adds some star power to what is expected to be a B-team level squad. The complete roster is expected to be announced shortly.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Hoping Dolo and Boca also make the roster along with some of the fringe WC hopefuls. (Beckerman and Klistjen don't count).

A bit concerned that as the third game both US and CR will have locked up the group and we get the bench 'B' players.

I was pissed last time, the top players were eating wings in the suites.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Boca is done for the USMNT. Too old. It is a nice combination of players here. Should be fun to see. The rent is a perfect size venue for good games for US soccer and the area is not too Central American. Keep putting up good crowds and it will keep in the rotation of getting games.

Reaction Score
Boca is done for the USMNT. Too old. It is a nice combination of players here. Should be fun to see. The rent is a perfect size venue for good games for US soccer and the area is not too Central American. Keep putting up good crowds and it will keep in the rotation of getting games.
Hope that's the case, but i have my doubts with all the soccer specific stadiums that have recently been built.

Reaction Score
True, but I think the Seattle crowd showed that 40k is a nice number for that. Most new stadiums are 20k. US soccer is also wising up and not doing stupid things like playing Honduras is Chicago anymore. Good size, good pitch outside of football season, and a relative lack of Central Americans makes Hartford look good.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
True, but I think the Seattle crowd showed that 40k is a nice number for that. Most new stadiums are 20k. US soccer is also wising up and not doing stupid things like playing Honduras is Chicago anymore. Good size, good pitch outside of football season, and a relative lack of Central Americans makes Hartford look good.

It was almost full for that friendly just before the last World Cup. My fear is that we are pencilled in for the "last warm-up game before the World Cup slot" and that's it. The team plays the game and spends the next day at ESPN. Been that way for thr last 2 cycles.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Roster looks a little weak at midfield. Curious if JK will field a 4-2-3-1 as he has in qualifiers or go straight 4-4-2 with LD/Gomez as forwards.

Not sure how that helps LD assimilate to the new style.

I know the EPL rest/camps dictate the roster, but it would have been nice to see Goodson and Cameron get more run at DC and DMC.

I could see a legit XI

Hamid
Orozco-Gooch-Goodson-Beasley
Cameron-Torres
LD-Holden-Gomez
Wondo (rather see Boyd here)

As it is, I think Beckerman takes the second HM, and possibly a swap of Torres and Holden.

Reaction Score
Any doubt after the Panama game what Landon Donovan brings to this team? Pace, ball skills, playmaker, finisher. Takes us from a grinding slightly above average team to a challenger for top spot in regionals and potentially in the conversation to advance in a WC stage. Without him????

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
LD even in his current form is the third best player in the national pool. Last night was a good showing and gives JK the space needed to bring him back for the next round of qualifiers. That said, despite the two goals it wasn't all rosy for LD.

First half, he struggled playing the wing in the 4-2-3-1, it wasn't until they switched to the 4-4-2 that he took off. Partly explained by the lack of quality in the rest of the squad and their lack of play down his side, but his touch and pace and defense looked off early. It will be something to watch going forward. Both his goals came from positions that he won't be in come WC time. He'll be on the wing because the Dempsey/Altidore partnership up top is too important. LD needs to play the LAM (bumping Fabian Johnson and creating a smallish defensive partnership with Beasley) or RAM (bumping Zusi and pairing with the most unsettled position on the squad, Right Back). He'll need to show he can perform out there.

I have few doubts that he wiil and I always felt he was going to make the WC roster if healthy, but their are some things he needs to work on before then. #1 is his attitude. His comments pregame about taking it day-by-day are not what the team wants to hear. The team is being built on aggressive and tougher play. This rec soccer, participation trophy DNA that has gripped US Soccer for decades isn't going to work.

The big winner from last night and potentially the gold cup is Holden. Bradley and (for the moment, Jones) hold the central midfield spots. Cameron is making inroads as Jones backup, but so far no one has emerged to backup Bradley. Since both are subject to card accumulation, this is a good sign. None of the other from the Pupu platter of suck deserves to make the WC. (Kljestan, Torres, Corona, Castillo, Beckerman, Bedoya, Edu), maybe Torres as the last man but, I wouldn't pick him. Gooch looked really good in the air and stepping in front of attackers to break up passes, but his ball control and lack of speed don't bode well for a spot in JK's build from the back system. He has been inactive for a long time, so he's not completely out of the picture. Goodson to me is still challenging for a starting spot in central defense (to me it's still a weak back 4 and completely wide open, though Beasley seems to have locked down the LB spot at the moment.) Gomez will find his way onto the roster, Shea will not except as a developmental end of the bench spot, he lacks quality on the ball and with LD, Gomez, and Fabian available for LAM, he's the odd man out.

So a year out from Brazil, here are the spots that are locked up for the 23 man roster. I only have 5 locks to start.

GK: Howard (Guzan) -TBD....(best guess at the 2018 backup to Guzan)
LD: Beasley - TBD...... Best remaining options (T. Chandler, Parkhurst, Lichaj)
CD: (Gonzalez) - TBD - TBD...... Best remaining options (Cameron, Onyewu, Bocanegra)
CD: (Besler) (Goodson)
RD: TBD - TBD - (Cameron) ...... Best remaining options (Cheruldolo, Parkhurst, Spector, Chandler) Oy, what a mess!
HM: (Jones)(Cameron)
M: Bradley - TBD.....Best remaining options (Holden, Williams)
LAM: (F. Johnson)(Donovan)
CAM: Dempsey
RAM: (Donovon)(Zusi)
ST: Altidore (Gomez) - TBD.....(I expect Eddie Johnson but would rather see Boyd in this spot to ride the bench)

likely 8 spots still up for grabs (6 that might see the field). Best guess for those 8 are:

Parkhurst (I don't see Chandler committing to the US)
Bocanegra (yes, due to lack of options and Onyewu's lack of speed, the Capt. get the player/coach seat on the bench)
Cherundolo (another oldie, zero at RB now and no depth in the back four (Evans, Demerit, Pearce, Castillo, yeesh!)
Spector (loses his spot if Chandler commits, but I think he's the best of rest)
Holden
Williams (Torres could steal this spot or one of the D, but I have him just out)
E. Johnson (as utility attacking mid/striker)
(3rd GK, it doesn't matter)

Reaction Score
May take awhile to digest but thanks for the performance and depth chart review. Should be interesting as it comes into form.

Reaction Score
Cameron and Besler would be our best central pairing, but I do not think we will see that unless Stoke sell one of their CB's and Cameron is given the chance to start there.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Cameron and Besler would be our best central pairing, but I do not think we will see that unless Stoke sell one of their CB's and Cameron is given the chance to start there.

So far no one in CD has consistently distinguished themselves. The 4 younger guys have all had good and bad moments. I don't see a reason for all the love Gonzalez is getting. He's been beat on the trap a lot. If he solves that maybe he is No. 1 but that's a big leak in his game that had led to a lot of goals.

Cameron I think is going to be a utility sub for the reasons you cite. He has a chance to displace Jones at defensive midfield. I one consistent thing I have seen from the squad this year is that they do noticeably better when one DM sits in front on the back 4 in a defensive posture allowing the other M to move forward. Jones likes to range forward or alternate with Bradley. Cameron and to the same point Beckerman have stayed home with better results.

Reaction Score
Anyone know how ticket sales are doing for this match?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Hoping Dolo and Boca also make the roster along with some of the fringe WC hopefuls. (Beckerman and Klistjen don't count).

A bit concerned that as the third game both US and CR will have locked up the group and we get the bench 'B' players.

I was pissed last time, the top players were eating wings in the suites.

Boca initially included, then dropped. Last I heard.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Seattle has such a great soccer following. Portland too. We've got capacity out East and play a lot of soccer, but don't quite draw the numbers that they do in the Northwest. MLS games are packed out there.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Roster looks a little weak at midfield. Curious if JK will field a 4-2-3-1 as he has in qualifiers or go straight 4-4-2 with LD/Gomez as forwards.

Not sure how that helps LD assimilate to the new style.

I know the EPL rest/camps dictate the roster, but it would have been nice to see Goodson and Cameron get more run at DC and DMC.

I could see a legit XI

Hamid
Orozco-Gooch-Goodson-Beasley
Cameron-Torres
LD-Holden-Gomez
Wondo (rather see Boyd here)

As it is, I think Beckerman takes the second HM, and possibly a swap of Torres and Holden.

Landon just needs to get a run at this point. Got to shake off the rust.

Can't believe Gooch is making the trip. Can he still walk?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I have few doubts that he wiil and I always felt he was going to make the WC roster if healthy, but their are some things he needs to work on before then. #1 is his attitude. His comments pregame about taking it day-by-day are not what the team wants to hear. The team is being built on aggressive and tougher play. This rec soccer, participation trophy DNA that has gripped US Soccer for decades isn't going to work.

The big winner from last night and potentially the gold cup is Holden. Bradley and (for the moment, Jones) hold the central midfield spots. Cameron is making inroads as Jones backup, but so far no one has emerged to backup Bradley. Since both are subject to card accumulation, this is a good sign. None of the other from the Pupu platter of suck deserves to make the WC. (Kljestan, Torres, Corona, Castillo, Beckerman, Bedoya, Edu), maybe Torres as the last man but, I wouldn't pick him. Gooch looked really good in the air and stepping in front of attackers to break up passes, but his ball control and lack of speed don't bode well for a spot in JK's build from the back system. He has been inactive for a long time, so he's not completely out of the picture. Goodson to me is still challenging for a starting spot in central defense (to me it's still a weak back 4 and completely wide open, though Beasley seems to have locked down the LB spot at the moment.) Gomez will find his way onto the roster, Shea will not except as a developmental end of the bench spot, he lacks quality on the ball and with LD, Gomez, and Fabian available for LAM, he's the odd man out.

Can't hold that quote against LD. That seems like generic athlete speak. Plus, he's still not in form, and the only way to get there is to grind it out day-by-day. I do wish he was more committed to being the best player he could be (ie staying in Europe), but that is in the past at this point.

Really excited to see how Jozy performs in this Cup (and in the EPL next season).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
For the World Cup 2014? Didn't think they picked the final squad. Or am I missing something?

I thought by "this" cup, you were talking about the Gold Cup.

Reaction Score
USA just destroyed Belize 6-1.

For those who show up for the early game in Hartford that day, do not expect much from Belize or Cuba. USA/Costa Rica should be a good one though.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I
USA just destroyed Belize 6-1.

For those who show up for the early game in Hartford that day, do not expect much from Belize or Cuba. USA/Costa Rica should be a good one though.

I couldn't find that game streaming at all. Was disappointed. How did Landon look?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom