OT - Golf Travel Bags | The Boneyard

OT - Golf Travel Bags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I need to get an airline travel bag for my clubs. The big difference seems to be between hard-sided vs. soft-sided bags. Any recommendations?

Reaction Score
Dont get a soft one (or soft sided), the protection isnt there.
Ive seen too many guys clubs snap (especially at the hosel) because of mistreatment in travel.
it costs more, but the hard shell is 100% better

Reaction Score
I have a Tour Trek (Golfsmith brand) softsided travel bag. It has served me well since I bought it 5 years ago(I make a yearly trip to Myrtle Beach, and 1 other trip a year with the bag). One thing I STRONGLY recomend is buying the Club Glove Stiff Arm. It will prevent your driver being destroyed if your clubs get tossed during your trip.

S

storrsbred1

Another advantage to the hardshell is one can use extra space inside the shell like a suitcase.

However, it does have some disadvantages also. One is the weight and another is it is cumbersome. I have one and once when I got to my destination the only way I could fit it into the rental car was to put it kitty corner in the back seat and have someone sit on it/around it. Very uncomfortable. A third disadvantage is if you are going with others and they have golf bags also, it can be difficult to get all of them into a car.

Reaction Score
I've used a soft side bag for years, and never had any difficulty. As stated above, if you go this route get the stick that protects your driver, and pack warm up jackets and other clothes around the heads of the clubs to provide added protection.

Is it as safe as a hard side? Of course not. But I've probably made 20 flights with it, and haven't had an issue to date.

Reaction Score
I've had a soft side bag for years. Made about 10 or so trips with it. Never a problem. Always was able to stuff clothes in there as well.

Reaction Score
Been going to Myrtle Beach and Orlando for 12 years. Used a soft shell bag for 3 years, until the sombitches at Delta snapped my driver and kinked the shaft of my putter. Have used an SKB hard shell case ever since.

Hard shell cases can be a hassle in rental cars, past couple years I have had good luck shipping in advance to the resort.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hard shell. That's how the OJ got rid of the bloody knife.

Reaction Score
I've had a soft side bag for years. Made about 10 or so trips with it. Never a problem. Always was able to stuff clothes in there as well.
The clothes idea always worked, that was my move until the airlines started weighing everything. Then it wasn't worth stuffing it all in one bag. God Damm Bin Laden!!!!

Reaction Score
Didn't expect so many posts on this topic.... Perhaps a Boneyard golf tournament?????????

Reaction Score
I've always used soft side bags. 30+ trips. Never one problem. But I usually have priority status with the airlines. Maybe that helps with damage.

Reaction Score
Would recommend that you check out Fed Ex instead of using the airlines. I heard that they do a good job getting the clubs to you wherever you are.. Last time the airlines were a rip off and I had to sign a waiver that said that they would not pay for damages to the clubs.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Lot's of good opinions and options.

For me, bottom line is that if I have the room, I'm using the hard case. If I know I'm pinched, it's the soft bag and as much protection for the head as possible. The head is real sensitive and susceptible damage from direct impact.

Reaction Score
Lot's of good opinions and options.

For me, bottom line is that if I have the room, I'm using the hard case. If I know I'm pinched, it's the soft bag and as much protection for the head as possible. The head is real sensitive and susceptible damage from direct impact.

Are we still talking about golf bags here?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Are we still talking about golf bags here?

Yeah. Looking back at my post I went off on a bit of tangent and starting talking more about the clubs than travel bags.

But the main purpose of the travel bag is to protect what's inside of it. Some baggage handlers treat the equipment more roughly than others and the clubs- especially the driver can be sensitive.

My current driver has a 46 inch long shaft weighing 50 grams and has a 460cc head. Pretty top heavy. What might seem like a glancing blow to the head of the club can cause a lot of monetary damage. Gotta protect the equipment as best as possible.

Reaction Score
Yeah. Looking back at my post I went off on a bit of tangent and starting talking more about the clubs than travel bags.

But the main purpose of the travel bag is to protect what's inside of it. Some baggage handlers treat the equipment more roughly than others and the clubs- especially the driver can be sensitive.

My current driver has a 46 inch long shaft weighing 50 grams and has a 460cc head. Pretty top heavy. What might seem like a glancing blow to the head of the club can cause a lot of monetary damage. Gotta protect the equipment as best as possible.

You are so off base my friend. Read your prior post again and think double entendre. LOL.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Geez reading that I thought he did it on purpose and now that it's been pointed out he still doesn't realize it. Outstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom