OT: Frontier Internet question | The Boneyard

OT: Frontier Internet question

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Anyone get Internet and TV from Frontier? Are you happy with it?

Reaction Score
Family members have internet and phone from Frontier, and internet is terrible. I've been pushing for them to bundle all 3 services with Comcast.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

NO. The worst service we have ever had with any provider we've ever dealt with. We signed on as AT&T Uverse and everything worked fine. Once Frontier took over we have had sporadic outages ever since. Internet speeds are all over the map too. Very unpredictable. HD TV reception can be shaky too. Lots of "tiling" at times. Not just TV and Internet outages but the phone as well. They have every excuse you can imagine. Check their Facebook page and read the complaints. Despite their claims there are also lots of problems with their service people showing up on time. We have to put up with it because I signed up for a 2 year deal. Can't wait for September to roll around so I can go back to Cox. Never had any issues with them (Except price)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The worst is Charter, but I have never heard good things about frontier either.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
NO. The worst service we have ever had with any provider we've ever dealt with. We signed on as AT&T Uverse and everything worked fine. Once Frontier took over we have had sporadic outages ever since. Internet speeds are all over the map too. Very unpredictable. HD TV reception can be shaky too. Lots of "tiling" at times. Not just TV and Internet outages but the phone as well. They have every excuse you can imagine. Check their Facebook page and read the complaints. Despite their claims there are also lots of problems with their service people showing up on time. We have to put up with it because I signed up for a 2 year deal. Can't wait for September to roll around so I can go back to Cox. Never had any issues with them (Except price)
Tiling... I had that years ago and it was caused by splinting cable wires. They were replaced and everything worked like a charm from that day forward
2259574099_a0cc768911.jpg

Reaction Score
Internet has been very good for me. TV has sporadic outages. I had Comcast five years ago. Simply the worst. Frontier is better.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
We have Cox for cable and Internet now, with not many problems. But it costs a LOT.

Reaction Score
Had Comcast for 16 years.. It seems like once a year the cable box crapped out and had to be replaced. Every time you heard thunder, the cable went out.
Replaced with ATT Uverse. Constant problems for a year. TV quit on a regular basis.
They finally ironed out the problems.
Moved to Florida and got Verizon Fios. Worked great until bought out by Frontier.
No ON DEMMAND for the better part of a month.

ATT had the best service when called. It takes an act of god to get a technician with the other services.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
My father and brother in Branford have terrible issues with Frontier, too. On top of bad quality both have had issues with overbilling and cost.

Reaction Score
Frontier took over for Verizon here. So far everything is OK with me but some of my friends have had problems.

Reaction Score

Agree, AT&T was good but once Frontier took over it has gotten bad. I keep loosing my tv reception. This has been going on for about a year and they can't seem to know what the problem is. Every time you call them takes a long time on hold and they want you to go though there 45 to 1 hr. procedure to reset everything. They want you to try it for a couple of days then call back. Then the same 1 hr on the phone and the same problem. AT&T was great. Most of my neighbors have dropped them too.

Reaction Score
In Connecticut I had AT&T U-Verse (phone, tv, internet) in my home, and U-Verse internet in my office. Both were sold to Frontier, and I continue to have Frontier in both locations. No problems to report. Our transition was seamless.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Loved my AT&T Uverse in FL, hate my Charter in CT - their technology appears to have stopped being updated about 10 years ago. I am hoping with the merger I might get an upgrade to Time Warner technology at least. Strongly considering cutting my cable down to just internet and getting Direct TV.

Reaction Score
Loved my AT&T Uverse in FL, hate my Charter in CT - their technology appears to have stopped being updated about 10 years ago. I am hoping with the merger I might get an upgrade to Time Warner technology at least. Strongly considering cutting my cable down to just internet and getting Direct TV.
I have Direct, and had it 10 year (stupidly transferred to Dish for 8 mo) and it is 99 percent available storms between me and the Satellite cause occasional problem. But man has never made the perfect device or system.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
We have Cox for cable and Internet now, with not many problems. But it costs a LOT.

Nan: This is what caused us to switch from Cox to begin with. The promo deal ran out and the regular price was crazy. They always say to speak to a supervisor retention manager. I did that and got nowhere. They called my bluff about cancelling so I did. I just wish AT&T had stayed in CT. As a way to get Cox to give you a "deal" you may have to switch to get a better price but if you do it don't take a LONG deal from Frontier. Take a short one. Then when you want to go back to Cox you CAN get a promo deal again. Then take the LONGEST one you can get (LOL). It's such a pain to switch though swapping out all the cable boxes etc....

More info: If you have an Amazon Fire the app for Frontier will not work. The contour app for Cox does work on the Fire though. If you have a Apple or Android device it has to be a pretty new one for the Frontier apps to work as well. Support is awful.

Reaction Score
Agree, AT&T was good but once Frontier took over it has gotten bad. I keep loosing my tv reception. This has been going on for about a year and they can't seem to know what the problem is. Every time you call them takes a long time on hold and they want you to go though there 45 to 1 hr. procedure to reset everything. They want you to try it for a couple of days then call back. Then the same 1 hr on the phone and the same problem. AT&T was great. Most of my neighbors have dropped them too.
same with me.....in a way I can understand that the majority of problems are fixed by the reset, but the phone representatives don't have enough experience to decipher when to send a technician to the house, so they make you jump through hoops figuring you have no idea what is going on hence the added aggravation. Frontier absorbed a system they knew very little about and while there are still some old ATT guys on their workforce, there aren't enough savy ones to make a difference. The Uverse system is a weird combination of old copper wires and fiber optic cable...and there have been two major updates since Frontier took over.

Reaction Score
Have Frontier for internet always have outages from an hour to a couple of days. Horrible service...

Reaction Score
Have Frontier for internet always have outages from an hour to a couple of days. Horrible service...
Bernie, Hugh, Anna or golf--each has a Mulligan. Frontier tells you everything--they are out in the hinter land without having the technology of TODAY. Even Oklahoma was considered the Frontier--but you can get good TV, phone, Satellite there.. They are no longer Frontier!!

Reaction Score
I too am a former AT&T Uverse customer, and the switch to Frontier was a nightmare in 2014! I switched back to Comcast in December of 2014 because Frontier services were constantly out for days on end. And not just some services, but all of them! Thanks to Comcast's refusal to carry the YES network (yep, Yankees fan), I switched back to Frontier after the Final Four. I must admit the tech has gotten better--they finally figured out they were over their heads with the TV technology, and swapped it out to Vantage. Decent, but not AT&T decent; and their on-demand stuff leaves much to be desired. Getting the right package installed with Frontier was nightmarish, as usual. Without a doubt the worst customer service on the planet! I finally figured out the best way to deal with them is via on-line chat, that finally rectified all my problems with the install. It's unfortunate you can order Frontier services via the internet, because the phone crew have absolutely no idea what services their company provides! All in all relatively satisfied despite the fact they lied, and changed the phone number I've have for 35-years. The sacrifices I make for Yankees baseball. ;)

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Frontier's service quality and customer service are God awful. I have real estate holdings in southwestern Ct and my commercial office tenants are all switching to Optimum (Cablevision) for the improved Internet bandwidth. I recently attempted to order (2) basic "POTS" lines ("plain old telephone service") from Frontier to support a fire alarm system linked directly to the Fire Dept. in a small residential multi-tenant building. You are required to have an actual phone line and not cable because they continue to work in case of a power outage. Three 45 minute calls later, bouncing between departments and getting dropped after two failed 45 minute investments of time...I finally got my order in.

I have Optimum at home and both products and customer service are quite good, but they're expensive once you're out of their introductory promos.

However, it could be worse...you could live in England and have NTL"

NTL: Trying to Get Connected

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have Direct, and had it 10 year (stupidly transferred to Dish for 8 mo) and it is 99 percent available storms between me and the Satellite cause occasional problem. But man has never made the perfect device or system.

I should have opened my mail before bragging. I had a 10 percent increase in my bill, I tried to find out via their website--it has been changed. It will no longer tell me what each package costs --I have to call a sales person to find out--no chat-call.
Things I once could check on the internet--I can't. I can look at my generalized bill, which tells me only how much they want. Ah, the world merry go round of changing business..

Reaction Score
I upgraded my Frontier from 12 to 18 MBPS, but the best Speed Test result is 11.9. Frontier Tech Support said that the best I can expect is 70% of 18 MBPS. I was getting 11.4 when I had the 12 MBPS service!

I had Comcast triple play for one month, but had no internet connection for 16 days. Tech support was unable to resolve the problem so I cancelled the services. My Home Theater Installer told me that the wiring in my building is bad and good luck getting their technician to fix it.

What can I do to get decent internet service? I am in Hartford.

Reaction Score
So glad there's no Frontier in this part of the state. Have heard horror stories from relatives.

Reaction Score
Nan, as with a lot of the above commenters, we also had AT&T for years and had very little issues. But since Frontier has taken over, we also have found that our internet service changes on a daily and even an hourly basis. It is terrible and their customer service is even worse. Lucky for us we have Direct TV, it may cost a little more but the only time I have had issues watching a UCONN game is when it is broadcasted by the PAC12 Network. But then you always have Watch ESPN. My suggestion, if possible stay away from Frontier.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom