OT: Francesa's Last Day | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Francesa's Last Day

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
To me, he will always be a good luck charm. I saw him walking around the outside of the Alamadome in SA before the 2004 FF games on Saturday, hours before the gates opened. I was looking to buy some tickets for my nephews, which I eventually did. We exchanged pleasantries. I'm not a big fan of sports talk radio so I can't say I've heard him on the air all that much in that role, but the few times I have I've had little problem with anything he's said. He's a St. John's homer but that's to be expected since he went to school there. Perhaps the best thing about him is with that accent, he screams dyed-in-the-wool New Yorker. He got things wrong from time to time, but he always did seen genuine. For those who think he's a blowhard, just about everybody in that business is. He will be missed.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Of course I had to check to see what longtime Francesa fan Phil Mushnick had to say about Mike's last day:

I’ll give Mike Francesa this: In my 44 years in this business, I have never dealt with, known or covered a more inexorably conceited, condescending, factually wrong, name-dropping, dissent-intolerant, megalomaniacal, pompous, boastful, hypocritical, self-entitled, self-anointed, self-delusional, unilaterally rude, humorless, imperious and dishonest person in the media. Other than that …

Reaction Score
Of course I had to check to see what longtime Francesa fan Phil Mushnick had to say about Mike's last day:

I’ll give Mike Francesa this: In my 44 years in this business, I have never dealt with, known or covered a more inexorably conceited, condescending, factually wrong, name-dropping, dissent-intolerant, megalomaniacal, pompous, boastful, hypocritical, self-entitled, self-anointed, self-delusional, unilaterally rude, humorless, imperious and dishonest person in the media. Other than that …

Friends forever?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

It is amazing Mushnick is employed still.

That industry collapsed and that’s the guy they kept?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Today is going to be awful with people just calling to thank him.

Wonder how he'll handle them all. He usually rushes through the mushy stuff from da cawlers.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A long-time neighbor to my parents hated Francesa with a passion, mostly because of the way he treated Rod Sellers. They were throwing a 60th birthday party for him the same night Mike was doing an autograph signing at Sports Haven that afternoon. Mike signed a headshot with a personalized birthday greeting for me, I stopped at Christmas Tree Shop and voila, I had what I figured would be the most memorable gift. Maybe I came in second. He son gave him a trip for the two of them to Ireland to watch a game with his two favorite college FB teams (Navy and Notre Dame).

Reaction Score

Mushnick is a curmudgeon. He'll find someone new to bitch about.. that's what he does best... at least Mike was entertaining...

Reaction Score
When dog retires everyone will be like " I thought he retired 10 years ago".

Apologies for going on a tangent, but, of the two of them, I never would have guessed that Russo would be the one to leave for a big contract and a national platform. Part of it was that's what it seemed like Francesa would desire more, but also that Russo regularly criticized athletes leaving their original teams for a bigger contract. He even said that, if he was Lebron James, he would have gone to college for 4 years. When it came time to make a decision, Russo did the same thing as the guys he judged harshly; he left for more money.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Apologies for going on a tangent, but, of the two of them, I never would have guessed that Russo would be the one to leave for a big contract and a national platform. Part of it was that's what it seemed like Francesa would desire more, but also that Russo regularly criticized athletes leaving their original teams for a bigger contract. He even said that, if he was Lebron James, he would have gone to college for 4 years. When it came time to make a decision, Russo did the same thing as the guys he judged harshly; he left for more money.

Except I bet way more than his ego, financially, was that he couldn't stand working with Mike anymore.

I have had satellite for awhile and basically only listen to Stern and then when Dog came on, him. So I like him, but I see why he annoys people.

I think he's get some ego, don't get me wrong, but he just wanted to get away from Mike, I think more than anything.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Unabashed fan. His blowhardiness was oftentimes contrived to provoke reaction. There were times when I just had to shut him off though.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
To da fans, I love you from da bottom of my hawt. Guhbye.

Call me a sap, but definitely feeling kinds sad right now.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
We will never him say Jobber Chamberlain again.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I was never a fan of his but I have to admit, it was sad because a chapter of my life ended too. I starting listening to Mike and The Mad Dog when they debuted in my freshmen year of college and listened ever since, basically because although I disliked him, he was still better than Michael Kaye or anyone else on at that time.
Mike now has plenty of time now to use his snow blowah. I'm going to listen to his 12 Days of Christmas in his honor. "And a piece of cork to put under the tree."

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Since he doesn't want to work everyday, I'd guess a weekly show on HBO or Showtime. He should've approached the FAN to do a weekly show. I'm also not excited about his replacements. I like Carlin but don't care for the other two. Three people in the studio is a lot. I honestly don't see them succeeding, so maybe Mike Francesa will return. If he wants to spend more time with his kids, they could let him do the show from his home.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom