OT: Francesa's Last Day | The Boneyard

OT: Francesa's Last Day

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Bittersweet day for any fellow Mongo's out there. Crazy 30 year run. Met him only once at Mohegan when he was doing a show back in 2010. We talked UConn hoops for a bit and I remember him chatting "dat Jeremy Lamb is gonna end up bein a nice little playah for you guys. Just see." Guess that call worked out.

I know a lot of people dislike him quite a bit, but I think if what you get from Mike is an arrogant blowhard, you're really missing the point. Guy is a legend and my work afternoon's just got a lot longer.

Side bar - the new WFAN lineup is going to suck. Boomer's show is boring without Carton, Joe and Evan I could take em or leave em (though Roberts is extremely knowledgeable), but Carlin, Bart Scott and the other lady I never heard of? Kay is going to run away with the afternoon drive time ratings.

Reaction Score
Bittersweet day for any fellow Mongo's out there. Crazy 30 year run. Met him only once at Mohegan when he was doing a show back in 2010. We talked UConn hoops for a bit and I remember him chatting "dat Jeremy Lamb is gonna end up bein a nice little playah for you guys. Just see." Guess that call worked out.

I know a lot of people dislike him quite a bit, but I think if what you get from Mike is an arrogant blowhard, you're really missing the point. Guy is a legend and my work afternoon's just got a lot longer.

Side bar - the new WFAN lineup is going to suck. Boomer's show is boring without Carton, Joe and Evan I could take em or leave em (though Roberts is extremely knowledgeable), but Carlin, Bart Scott and the other lady I never heard of? Kay is going to run away with the afternoon drive time ratings.
As much of a blowhard Mike is, I'm going to miss the guy. I've been listening to him since day 1 and he's been the voice of NY Sports for 30 years. How the heck can FAN put Bart Scott in the afternoon lineup. Are you kidding me. The guy was a nasty SOB to the media and fans when he played in Baltimore and NY. He is not a New Yorker and has no dog in the fight as a NY sports fans. My commute home just got a lot longer...

Reaction Score
Yep, I grew up with Mike and the Mad Dog and even though I think the show has suffered since their breakup, I still listen. I don't always agree with the guy and he can certainly be pretentious and a bully, but I will miss hearing him, his interviews, and those moments when he is truly on. As a Yankee fan, I have always enjoyed his knowledge of history and some of the insider tidbits he's provided. I have to admit while listening yesterday while running around, I thought it was pretty amazing just how many people called in to say thanks and give him kudos for 30 years of entertainment. You could feel there was genuine respect even from guests who had had issues.

As far as the future of WFAN, ugh, not sure what to say there. I still listen to Boomer every morning because it's on. I did not love Carton, but he brought some pizzazz to the morning drive. Boomer is boring as hell. I like Joe and Evan, although their schtick gets a little tired. The new trio is going to be pretty bad, though. I can't stand Michael Kay so I'm not sure where I'm going to turn now.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Have you listened to Kay? An equally arrogant blowhard with an unshakeable Yankee bias tint. It's one thing to publically say you're a fan, it's another when you're on their payroll. There's a trust issue there...

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Have you listened to Kay? An equally arrogant blowhard with an unshakeable Yankee bias tint. It's one thing to publically say you're a fan, it's another when you're on their payroll. There's a trust issue there...

I used to like Kay when he did radio with John Sterling way back. Ever since the Yankees made him the face of YES and with his radio career taking off his ego has just gotten out of control. I look forward to the Yankee games where he's not on nowadays.

There was/is something endearing about Francesa that Kay lacks. I think Mike's always been the same guy through the years where as Kay is trying to play a part and isn't genuine.

Reaction Score
I used to like Kay when he did radio with John Sterling way back. Ever since the Yankees made him the face of YES and with his radio career taking off his ego has just gotten out of control. I look forward to the Yankee games where he's not on nowadays.

There was/is something endearing about Francesa that Kay lacks. I think Mike's always been the same guy through the years where as Kay is trying to play a part and isn't genuine.
I agree that Kay is trying to play a part where Mike has always been the same guy. I can't listen to Kay... He is just a phony. Like Coach Cal said yesterday , Mike was never trying to take someone down, he was just being honest and himself...like it or not.

Reaction Score
I was starting college and read in the paper I could catch the Mets on 660am. Tuned in to Mike and the Maddog and was hooked.

Mike is a blowhard and a legend at the same time.

I mean how many times were you driving and said "Mike you absolutely said that "? It was part of what kept you tuned in!

Reaction Score
I plan to just watch old Francesa Youtube videos during the afternoons when I'm bored. Mike's absolutely a blowhard and contradicts himself somewhat frequently, but as a voice of the fan he does an excellent job. I also love that he never got himself into any of this faux outrage garbage you hear out of Bayless, Stephen A, et al. His opinions are sometimes wrong, sometimes contradictory, but unequivocally genuine. Mike's eruptions are so good and go viral so quick because they're true to how he, and the sports fan, actually feel. Fitting that he saved his best for last with last week's Eli rant. 100% genuine, and in touch with how Giants fans actually feel. These other idiots on TV and radio so often make up their outrage in an attempt to get clicks and views. Mike never makes it up. When the dust settles and those inside the Giants are willing to talk about it, I'm sure John Mara would eventually admit Mike's rants had a hand in the decision to fire McAdoo when it happened.

Reaction Score
I'm 29 and I've listened to Francesa since I was probably 6 or 7. He's been such a big part of my life that today will be tough. I thought yesterday's show was cool with people calling in as mystery guests. I've held off on satellite radio for a number of years, but once Mike is gone I honestly will have nothing left on terrestrial radio to convince myself to not pay the monthly cost of satellite. I think I'll start up a contract in January to see what else is out there.

Reaction Score
Never called in to his show, but have listened to Francesa since 1994. He and Dog were a great sports talk duo - seemed to keep each other in check and broke down sports like no other. (The one time I saw them in person was at Mohegan in 2003). When Mad Dog left in 2008 the show wasn't the same, but still was listenable and the place to go after an NFL football Sunday, regular season & playoffs, or during the baseball playoffs. And that first weekend of the NCAA tourney was a fun listen. Between him and his callers I could only take it in small doses because everything turned into an argument, but was still the go-to radio talk show for me. Will miss the big blowhard lol.

Reaction Score

Bring in the Shmooze!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Podcasts. That’s the only solution.

Reaction Score
30 year run ended 31 years too late. Can't stand him, but the ratings saw I am in the minority.

Reaction Score
Kay and that buffoon LaGreca are unlistenable.

Somers is the best.

WFAN has not made good talent additions - the era of WFAN as a must listen for NY sports news is over.

And man I don’t like Evan and Joe, put they’re now the best between 6a-6p.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Mike would say to YOU, "get loss your clewless, you know that, clewless! Goodbye, this is what happens when you give idiots telephones".

Go help an old lady cross da street, will ya?

Podcasts. That’s the only solution.

Any recommendations? When I had a longer subway commute I would listen to the Fangraphs' guys baseball podcasts, but that's about it.

Reaction Score

Any recommendations? When I had a longer subway commute I would listen to the Fangraphs' guys baseball podcasts, but that's about it.
Depends on interests but castbox app on android has some good variety.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I listen to Kornheiser every day.

Simmons depending on the topic.

SI sports media podcast.

Shutdown Fullcast (cfb)

Solid Verbal (cfb)

Men in Blazers (epl)

Poscast (Joe Posnanski and Michael Schur)

One shining podcast (cbb - Mark Titus)

Pardon my take depending on the guest

Reaction Score
When dog retires everyone will be like " I thought he retired 10 years ago".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom