DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
for me it was Connect Four, Checkers and Trouble
Trouble.png

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not necessarily a board game, but we played a lot of strip poker when I was in elementary school. :cool:

Reaction Score
Trouble.png
The Fox and hens--drawn on the bottom of a kitchen knife and fork drawer played with buttons. No money spent on wasteful things .

Reaction Score
Ants in your Pants
Don't Break the Ice
Candyland
Battle Ship
Parcheesi (always played with my great grandmother)

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Well, growing up before all those board games, we could play "ducks fly," or marbles on the dirt floor of the cabin, but mostly someone would read to us from "Oliver Twist" or "Great Expectations" until the tallow candle burned all the way down.

~*Jen*~

Mommy to the Mini Mojo Keeper
Reaction Score
Mini Chick loves Trouble. She has a Scooby Doo version. When she first got it, she had trouble saying "Scooby" so it was "Goofy Doo."

We didn't play a lot of board games when I was growing up. Which is odd because I'm such a gamer now. I love Trivial Pursuit, Logo, Scene It, Monopoly, Life, Sorry, Clue, Outburst, Scattergories, Yahtzee, Rummy, War, Egyptian Rat Screw, Euchre, Risk, Axis and Allies, backgammon... we do a game night most Friday nights. Have the in-laws over. Play a couple games with Mini Chick. Send her to bed. Play a few more games with just the adults.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Ants in your Pants
Don't Break the Ice
Candyland
Battle Ship
Parcheesi (always played with my great grandmother)
wow... dont break the ice, I learned of this game as a adult... love it

Reaction Score
Played all the usual board games and was always playing baseball, football, or basketball, but I have two that are probably different. My brother and I made up a baseball game that could be played with dice. Roll the dice to see what the pitch was, then roll again for the outcome. We played an entire 154 game schedule for both NL and AL, back when each was 8 teams...kept stats for everything...Batting Averages, RBIs, HRs, ERA...everything. He was a Cubs fan so he did the NL and I was a Yankee fan so I did the AL. We'd play the same games that were actually being played in the majors that day.

The other one was a racing game using a chalk outline on the basement floor and a toy roulette wheel. Grew up going to the races at Riverside so we used that as a starting point. Bought some 1940 Ford model kits and modified them to look like the cars that ran at Riverside..took off the fenders, and used the running boards for fenders, and some of the plastic connectors to create custom exhausts then painted the cars to look like our favorite drivers...Jocko Maggiacomo, Dick Dixon, Bill Greco and others. The track was numbered like the roulette wheel and we'd take turns spinning the wheel to see how far the car moved...advancing to the number that came up. Spinning the same number twice in row was big because that was a complete lap. We culminated the season with a 500 lapper just like Riverside. Don't remember how many other guys in the neighborhood were involved but it got pretty big.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
RISK

CLUE

STRATEGO

Occasionally, "LIFE"

My brother always liked SORRY but I didn't really get into it much.

MONOPOLY sometimes, but invariably someone would get bored and quit, and others would lose interest.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
RISK

CLUE

STRATEGO

Occasionally, "LIFE"

My brother always liked SORRY but I didn't really get into it much.

MONOPOLY sometimes, but invariably someone would get bored and quit, and others would lose interest.
I agree... Monopoly gets complicated and boring as the game goes on especially if someone bought up Park Ave/Place. I didnt care for Sorry as well... recently learned about the "sliding" part of the game

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Played all the usual board games and was always playing baseball, football, or basketball, but I have two that are probably different. My brother and I made up a baseball game that could be played with dice. Roll the dice to see what the pitch was, then roll again for the outcome. We played an entire 154 game schedule for both NL and AL, back when each was 8 teams...kept stats for everything...Batting Averages, RBIs, HRs, ERA...everything. He was a Cubs fan so he did the NL and I was a Yankee fan so I did the AL. We'd play the same games that were actually being played in the majors that day.

The other one was a racing game using a chalk outline on the basement floor and a toy roulette wheel. Grew up going to the races at Riverside so we used that as a starting point. Bought some 1940 Ford model kits and modified them to look like the cars that ran at Riverside..took off the fenders, and used the running boards for fenders, and some of the plastic connectors to create custom exhausts then painted the cars to look like our favorite drivers...Jocko Maggiacomo, Dick Dixon, Bill Greco and others. The track was numbered like the roulette wheel and we'd take turns spinning the wheel to see how far the car moved...advancing to the number that came up. Spinning the same number twice in row was big because that was a complete lap. We culminated the season with a 500 lapper just like Riverside. Don't remember how many other guys in the neighborhood were involved but it got pretty big.
very creative... could've become the "Parker Brothers"

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
We used to draw grids on pieces of paper to play battleship. Aircraft carrier was 5 squares, Battleship 4, destroyer 3, cruiser 2 and submarine 1. Draw a big enough grid and you could play for hours. I also loved playing chess with my dad. I was probably in the first or second grade when he taught me and it took me until eighth or ninth grade to beat him for the first time. I remember the mixed emotions I had beating him for the first time. I was overjoyed and sad at the same time.

Reaction Score
I played tons of hoop, but was never able to throw the ball in the ocean from the beach. Monopoly until Risk, which became the game, along with "Strat-o-matic" baseball.

Reaction Score
I used to play almost all the ones mentioned here.

When I was older (in college), my stepfather taught me something he and his family had made up, called the "Dictionary Game." You needed at least 3 people, the more the better. One person (the leader for that round) would choose a word from the dictionary that all the players admitted they did NOT know the definition for. Then, everybody made up 3 definitions for the word and wrote them on slips of paper. The leader made up 2 definitions, and also wrote the real definition. Then the leader would collect all the definitions and read them out loud. Once all of them were read, everyone would write down their guess as to the correct definition.

Of course, guessing the right definition was only a small part of the fun. Most of it was in making up definitions, some of them hysterical, and the leader of that round trying to read them out loud without laughing. We had such a great time with that!

Reaction Score
Trouble.png
The Game of Life
Candyland
Electric Football (A fairly obscure game. Anyone remember it?)
AllStar Baseball

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Game of Life
Candyland
AllStar Baseball
LOVED electric football! You knew who were the fast guys, who always turn left or right, etc. Great stuff.
This was my set:
ElectricFootball1.jpg

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Whoever mentioned Parchesi - yes, at my grandmothers where I would stay some Friday nights. Also card games, I think mostly Pinochle. Grandma would get 2 neighbors in the apartment house over - her sister and one of 2 more distant relatives (4 of 5 apartments on the floor were lived in by relatives, and when Aunt Carrie passed the tradition was maintained as yet another relative moved in) so there would be 4 players. Very fun times with old ladies that were more fun than you would think.

At home, I didn't play much, but I had some really old games that were my Dad's from his youth, he was born in 1908 and I was born in the 50's. Used to play with them and a couple of baseball games that I think dated to the late 40's - early 50's, definitely not quite my age. Also did have a couple of plastic games whose names I forget, one had hands that you slapped and the other little plastic discs that your opponent couldn't see but tried to drop by pulling little pins.

Reaction Score
Played many board games and was also bored by many games. Also liked " Dictionary" but used variable rules. How many points were awarded for the correct definition was based on how many other people also got it correct. We also gave points for the funnest definition as well, so if you didn't know the word you could try to also win using wit. If you thought that others were going to get the definition right it was a better tactic to try to get points for humor.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The Game of Life
Candyland
AllStar Baseball
CandyLand was cool

Reaction Score
LOVED electric football! You knew who were the fast guys, who always turn left or right, etc. Great stuff.
This was my set:
ElectricFootball1.jpg
Some just went around in circles. LOL.

Reaction Score
My mom taught my brother, sister and I Pinochle and cribbage. We also played scrabble...That was like UConn vs Houston and my mom was UConn.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
When I was really young, it was Chutes and Ladders, Candyland, and SORRY.
Then Monopoly, Clue, Life, Pay Day
Checkers, and Chess on occasion.
Electronic Football and baseball, plus Magic vs. Jordan.
There was a phase of Mask and G.I. Joe somewhere in there.
When we got into cards, it was Go Fish, Crazy 8's, War, and later 500 Rummy (loved me some 500 Rummy).
I got an updated version of strat-o-matic baseball that carried me through my early teens.
Po-Ke-No for pennies while vacationing in Lake Winnipesaukee. My brother and I used to bet each other on games as Fun Spot as well.
Finally poker or some sort or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01