OT - Favorite childhood board game/activity | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT - Favorite childhood board game/activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
I also played most of these games mentioned, however, playing ARMY with my friends was always fun! We used the entire neighborhood as the battlefield. I was captured once but snuck out the bathroom window and made an escape.

Reaction Score
We played "Stretch", which involved throwing a jack knife at the opponent's feet and (s)he'd have to move his foot to that location. Sooner or later the loser would fall over. Also "Hit the Bat" where you would self-hit to an outfield. If someone caught it you would lose your turn. If someone fielded it (s)he'd have to bowl it in the street and try to hit your laid down bat, though if it bounced and you caught it you'd maintain your turn. We were street urchins in an upscale town (West Hartford). For board games I loved Clue because for some reason I usually won. Now with grandchildren it's endless Candyland....sigh.

Sounds like we were in the same neighborhood, but in different states. Mine was in North Jersey, not far from Tony Soprano's house. Great to hear mention of those two games. "Stretch" is a one of the variants of "Mumblety-Peg". We played in the sand by the river; in our game the loser had to get the peg out of the sand with his teeth. I loved "hit the bat". And , because of lack of numbers, we played a lot of one-o'cat and two o'cat.

Last edited:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
All this talk of childhood games reminds me; our "guardian" here in Guatemala(a "guardian" is a sort of combination gardener, handy man, gopher, security person, etc.) has four charming kids, age 2-13 whom we have become quite fond of. I have been trying, through my kids back in the States, to find for them some creative playthings, such as Legos, Lincoln logs, etc., but with no success. These things just don't seem to show up at yard sales, and the ones I have looked at on ebay all seem to be, not the old-time, multi-purpose stuff that you could use your imagination on, but instead to be dedicated projects tied to movies, tv shows, etc. If any of y'all happen to have any stuff like this pr similar lying around in attics or basements, I would be glad to pay a reasonable amount and of course pay for shipping. If you do have anything like this that you no longer have a use for, please pm me. Thanks in advance.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Risk was a favorite board game when I was young. However, with my friends, the game was rarely played to completion. It seemed the unhappy party would create an "earthquake" that spelled the end of the game. Slot cars were also popular. Aurora HO scale. Chess as a late teen then Bridge in my 20's.

Great avatar pic!!

Reaction Score
Before there were those fancy backgammon sets, they used to print backgammon layouts on the back of the checker/chess boards. After we got bored with checkers we tried to figure out the game. It took me a while to find out how to play it (after several trips to the library because there was no internet). If the game rules were in the box with the checkers, we lost them, because everyone knew how how to play checkers. I also played most of the other games mentioned, like monopoly, parchesi and chinese checkers. The other game I liked that I didn't notice mentioned here, was "Go to the Head of the Class". Our favorite family game was "Life", because everyone in the family could play, they had those neat little cars with pink and blue peg "people". And everyone loved to bet on the wheel... for some reason 4 & 7 were always the favorite numbers.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Before there were those fancy backgammon sets, they used to print backgammon layouts on the back of the checker/chess boards. After we got bored with checkers we tried to figure out the game. It took me a while to find out how to play it (after several trips to the library because there was no internet). If the game rules were in the box with the checkers, we lost them, because everyone knew how how to play checkers. I also played most of the other games mentioned, like monopoly, parchesi and chinese checkers. The other game I liked that I didn't notice mentioned here, was "Go to the Head of the Class". Our favorite family game was "Life", because everyone in the family could play, they had those neat little cars with pink and blue peg "people". And everyone loved to bet on the wheel... for some reason 4 & 7 were always the favorite numbers.
Well 7 is by far the best number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits