OT: Derek Jeter | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Derek Jeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Some strange stuff in this thread. So he announces now. Huge distraction. Not. It wasn't for Rivera or the team last year. A few cutsie ceremonies and then they play ball. And ask players who played with and against him if they saw him as just a decent player who would have no attention if were to play in some backwater town. The guy is as clutch as they come. classy as they come, baseball savvy as they come, and professional as they come. The game would do very well to have such complementary players on every team. Even Sux fans should miss a guy like that, just like a Cal Ripken, even if he beats you sometimes. The bigger issue for the Yankees isn't that he's announced now, it's how will the SS position hold up this year.

Reaction Score
Lifelong Yankee fan... Jeter was so constantly labeled overrated, that he actually is underrated. What I mean is that he was never the offensive or defensive player that ARod, Nomar, and the other steroid SS of that era were and the media tried to make him seem like he was. But yet, he was the best all around player out of all of them. His offensive numbers, especially considering his no 'roid connection are fantastic for a SS. The gold gloves were a joke. But that's happened with other guys as well. There is no one you'd rather have up in clutch situation, no baserunner you'd rather have go 1st to 3rd or score from second, and no fielder who you weren't certain would make the crucial play. He made the most out of every situation he was in and even if it wasn't pretty, he always got the job done. It's amazing how many times he'd just inside out a ball into right field for a game tying/winning hit. It wasn't awe inspiring other than that he did it, again. As a leader, he was second to none in the respect afforded to him by fans and teammates. The idea that he was "merely" a complimentary player is bafflingly dumb. Even when he was surrounded by huge players, he was still the heart and soul AND most dangerous offensive player on those teams. The Yanks don't win 5 world series without him.

As for the pre-season announcement, I really don't think Jeter did it for the fanfare. He could care less about some victory tour. He did it so that he didn't have to answer the same damn question from the idiot media every single day (as Mo had to the year prior to his announcement). He did it so the Yankees wouldn't be caught scrambling to figure out his replacement. I don't think it was selfish. It was practical which is something Jeter has been a master of.

I'm not sure I'd go as far to say he's underrated, but the attention he got has definitely created quite a few idiots who would actually say he was a complementary players. He was one of the all-time great offensive shortstops and outside of a handful of decent seasons, he was generally somewhat bad to downright terrible in the field, but overall certainly worthy when he is inevitably voted in to the HOF.

Reaction Score
He hates over attention and adulation and always deflects his praise to other team mates, so I don't think he's going to do the Mariano tour. He's well deserved for the BBHOF and The Dating Hall of Fame. Wants to start a family so I guess that means "match.com".

Reaction Score
I'm curious, what does he mean to society?
He represents quality and excellence, all without controversy. In an era of bad guys on roids, he was a white knight. He always did things right, an without complaint. He represents a classy emissary of efficiency, and he's an ambassador for the game, the city, and the country. He was an idol to countless kids, like myself, and a damn good one at that.

Reaction Score
Jeter is old school. No bad news, strictly business and heck of a player. His post season accomplishments are legendary.

As far as a day in and day out player.....his effort is second to none. Much props to him!

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I'd go as far to say he's underrated, but the attention he got has definitely created quite a few idiots who would actually say he was a complementary players. He was one of the all-time great offensive shortstops and outside of a handful of decent seasons, he was generally somewhat bad to downright terrible in the field, but overall certainly worthy when he is inevitably voted in to the HOF.

Underrated in the sense that it became common practice to call him overrated and diminish just how good he was/is. I look at it like this. Growing up all I heard was how amazing Zeppelin was and being the I am I said, eh, i'll listen to something else then. Knowing that they were "so good" I stopped listening to them. Years later I went back and realized just how freaking good they were. In basketball terms, the same thing happened with Joe Dumars. For years, everybody who was anybody said he was underrated. And he was talked about so much as this underrated force that he actually became overrated. Did that make any sense? IDK it made sense to me.

Reaction Score
Underrated in the sense that it became common practice to call him overrated and diminish just how good he was/is. I look at it like this. Growing up all I heard was how amazing Zeppelin was and being the I am I said, eh, i'll listen to something else then. Knowing that they were "so good" I stopped listening to them. Years later I went back and realized just how freaking good they were. In basketball terms, the same thing happened with Joe Dumars. For years, everybody who was anybody said he was underrated. And he was talked about so much as this underrated force that he actually became overrated. Did that make any sense? IDK it made sense to me.
I understand you, but you can make that argument for literally every great player in sports. There will always be that subset who finds something to nitpick about them.

Reaction Score
He represents quality and excellence, all without controversy. In an era of bad guys on roids, he was a white knight. He always did things right, an without complaint. He represents a classy emissary of efficiency, and he's an ambassador for the game, the city, and the country. He was an idol to countless kids, like myself, and a damn good one at that.
I love Jeter but good lord you've put him above Mandela status.

Reaction Score
Seriously, what makes you think the Yankees will be terrible this season?

Reaction Score
Yeah... That's just the little kid in me talking. But he really does mean a lot to me and every other Yankee fan that saw this model of excellence play growing up. I'm sure, for you Sox fans, that anyone who saw Ted Williams growing up would say similar things. You know, besides the winning. And the class.

Reaction Score
As incredible of an offensive-force as he was, his contribution to pointing out how much of a joke the gold glove award is was equally as important. But in all seriousness, heck of a player.
Wow, where does that kinda remark come from. I don't think Derek Jeter gave himself gold gloves so for you to bring that up when responding to his retirement announcement after an illustrious and classy career is about bullcrap. He was in the most intense media market in the world for almost 20 years and conducted himself in a manner that brings honor and respect to himself and to the game of baseball. He put up some incredibly good numbers year after year and was an inspiration on and off the field for thousands if not millions of young kids and you gotta come up with gold glove crap. Unbelievable.

Reaction Score
Oh I won't miss him. I respect him greatly, no question about it, but there's not even one small part of me that isn't happy to see him and Mo go. I'm a baseball fan second, Sox fan first. (Just like I'm a CBB fan second, UConn fan first.)
Evidently you feel about Jeter the way I feel about Pedroia. A guy that comes to play everyday and gives you his all and doesn't quit. An opponent you always have to respect though maybe not like so much! Understandable!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Lifelong Yankee fan... Jeter was so constantly labeled overrated, that he actually is underrated. What I mean is that he was never the offensive or defensive player that ARod, Nomar, and the other steroid SS of that era were and the media tried to make him seem like he was. But yet, he was the best all around player out of all of them. His offensive numbers, especially considering his no 'roid connection are fantastic for a SS. The gold gloves were a joke. But that's happened with other guys as well. There is no one you'd rather have up in clutch situation, no baserunner you'd rather have go 1st to 3rd or score from second, and no fielder who you weren't certain would make the crucial play. He made the most out of every situation he was in and even if it wasn't pretty, he always got the job done. It's amazing how many times he'd just inside out a ball into right field for a game tying/winning hit. It wasn't awe inspiring other than that he did it, again. As a leader, he was second to none in the respect afforded to him by fans and teammates. The idea that he was "merely" a complimentary player is bafflingly dumb. Even when he was surrounded by huge players, he was still the heart and soul AND most dangerous offensive player on those teams. The Yanks don't win 5 world series without him.

Wait a minute, every single player in that era is suspect for PEDs imo. Doesn't have to be roids; it can be anything to help recovery. Look at Lance Armstrong. He wasn't jacked at all.

I've seen enough "squeaky clean" guys get busted in sports to not pull punches anymore. I'd guess that Jeter didn't use, but I wouldn't be surprised that he did. As it is for any player.

Reaction Score
Jeter - Over 162 game season average in his career 14HR, 79 RBI .312 BA 109 K's
Monster stats, really? And this is playing with some of the best offensive players of his era on his team
Are these superstar stats or complementary player stats? You tell me.
What would stats have been with a crappy team and surrounded by bums? Just sayin.
Okay over that period of time name me the other players who have more hits, runs and a higher batting average. I won't even bring up World Series titles or playoff stats.

Reaction Score
Jeter - Over 162 game season average in his career 14HR, 79 RBI .312 BA 109 K's
Monster stats, really? And this is playing with some of the best offensive players of his era on his team
Are these superstar stats or complementary player stats? You tell me.
What would stats have been with a crappy team and surrounded by bums? Just sayin.

This will probably come as a shock to you but shortstops that can provide offense are really valuable. He has a .381 OBP over more than 10,000 at bats. The only shortstop with more offensive WAR in his career retired 100 years ago

Reaction Score
This will probably come as a shock to you but shortstops that can provide offense are really valuable. He has a .381 OBP over more than 10,000 at bats. The only shortstop with more offensive WAR in his career retired 100 years ago
Honus Wagner? Pittsburgh Pirates 1897-1917?

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Funniest part is that he compared him to Babe Ruth! You couldn't find a worse role model for society. Fortunately, he didn't grow up in the age of information.

Jeter wasn't even on MJ's, Ruth's, and Manning Montana's level in terms of being an icon either.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Okay over that period of time name me the other players who have more hits, runs and a higher batting average. I won't even bring up World Series titles or playoff stats.

Jeter had longevity, but I would never have considered him the best player in baseball, in pretty much any of the years he played. Certified HOFer of course.

That tends to be the guys who make the hall. Players who can sustain it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom