OT: Derek Jeter | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Derek Jeter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have no idea what you mean

Neither did I….LOL……happy hour started with a customer at 2 and ended just in time for the Husky game!

Think it had to do with you making fun of Jeter's GG and Pedroia's GG win over Cano this year…….because Cano was the better fielder and deserved it but the "people" like Pedey just like they liked Jeter back then! But don't hold me to it……...;)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Neither did I….LOL……happy hour started with a customer at 2 and ended just in time for the Husky game!

Think it had to do with you making fun of Jeter's GG and Pedroia's GG win over Cano this year…….because Cano was the better fielder and deserved it but the "people" like Pedey just like they liked Jeter back then! But don't hold me to it……...;)

C'mon, Mau. Pedey had a crazy good year and "deserved" it just as much; more, considering the numbers. In any other year, Cano gets it, no doubt.

What's the difference? Cano is not a Yankee why do you cae so much? ;)

Reaction Score

Well if it makes you feel better, I'm not a Red Sox fan, but I do understand the reasoning now haha. Though I will say, the advanced defensive metrics definitely don't agree with cano over pedroia

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Haters will be haters.
There once was 3 amazing great young shortstops. A-Rod was the "best". Boston fans thought Nomar was 2nd best. In hindsight it is clear who had the best, legitimate career.
As far as his defense, I will miss him going deep to the third base side and making that jump-throw to first.I will never forget the dive into foul territory against the Sox , the Jeter/Cano/Tex double play combo or (one of the greatest defensive plays) the "flip" against the As that turned that playoff around.
Every free agent who came to NY ultimately said something to the effect of " I knew Jeter was good, I didn't realize he was this good".

Reaction Score
Haters will be haters.
There once was 3 amazing great young shortstops. A-Rod was the "best". Boston fans thought Nomar was 2nd best. In hindsight it is clear who had the best, legitimate career.
As far as his defense, I will miss him going deep to the third base side and making that jump-throw to first.I will never forget the dive into foul territory against the Sox , the Jeter/Cano/Tex double play combo or (one of the greatest defensive plays) the "flip" against the As that turned that playoff around.
Every free agent who came to NY ultimately said something to the effect of " I knew Jeter was good, I didn't realize he was this good".
Good post. I agree with what you said. Sometime this year, Derek Jeter will pass Luis Aparicio for second place in games played at short stop. Only Omar Vizquel will have more but not by much. Shortstop is a skill position so to play that many games at that position is significant. The list of players behind him is impressive. Ozzie Smith, Cal Ripken, Luke Appling to name a few. I am a Red Sox fan and I would vote him into the Hall in a NY minute. The thing that I remember the most about him as a player was that he seemingly never killed a rally. He always would work a walk or punch one into right field. Still, I hate to see him go.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
It will also be the end of the era of the core 4. I always see it as 5 because Bernie came up just before them (and people have forgotten how good he was). But not a bad class from the farm system of a team known to be built on free agents. Bernie, Jorge, Andy, Mo and Derek. Two first-round HOFers and 3 guys that will fall a little short.

Reaction Score
Without Cal as the trailblazer, Jeter is a third baseman (probably should have moved over in 2004) and possibly not a HoFer because 3B is considered a power position, offensively.

Just stop. Do I think that Yankee fans overrate the guy? Sure. But find me a guy with 3000 hits at over .310 for his career who isn't in the Hall, regardless of position.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Just stop. Do I think that Yankee fans overrate the guy? Sure. But find me a guy with 3000 hits at over .310 for his career who isn't in the Hall, regardless of position.
Given only those criteria? Raphael Palmeiro and Pete Rose.

You're creating a strawman argument. Show me where I said Derek Jeter is not going in the Hall of Fame? I must have missed it.

My comment was about his "transcendence" or lack thereof. This is not a sad day. I was at Todd Helton Appreciation Day vs. the Red Sox last year. They flashed a whole bunch of teammates, coaches, and friends on their video board between innings, but I believe it was Clint Hurdle who quoted a better man than myself (Dr. Seuss), who said," Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

Yankee fans don't feel sorry for Jeter, just like Red Sox fans don't feel sorry for Ortiz and his wishes for an additional year or Pedro in 2005 when he wanted 4 more years. The guy has made roughly $250 million from baseball alone. Yankee fans feel sorry for themselves. They see diminished chances of living vicariously through the Empire. Jeter represented the last link to their glorious era from the mid 90's - late 00's. He's ready to pass the baton for the anchor leg and no one is ahead of him to take it. Cano left, Ellsbury is an outsider, and the upper levels of the farm system is pretty barren in comparison to the Stick Michael era of 20 years ago and the rest of MLB. Yankees' fans are searching for, but are scared they can't find, the answer for the next 20 years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Show me where I said Derek Jeter is not going in the Hall of Fame? I must have missed it..

Without Cal as the trailblazer, Jeter is a third baseman (probably should have moved over in 2004) and possibly not a HoFer because 3B is considered a power position, offensively.

I'm pretty sure you know exactly what he was saying. And picking two guys with HUGE black eyes on their record as evidence really doesn't do anything to dispel the opinion that Jeter would have been a HOFer regardless of position.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure you know exactly what he was saying. And picking two guys with HUGE black eyes on their record as evidence really doesn't do anything to dispel the opinion that Jeter would have been a HOFer regardless of position.

And I'm pretty sure I never said Jeter is not a HoFer.

Still waiting for someone to show me where I sate that Jeter is not a Hall of Famer. I said that without Ripken blazing the trail, He's a 3rd Baseman.

If given 3B for all or half of his career, Jeter may very well not have compiled the stats he did and possibly would not have attained HOF status. I never said Jeter is not a HOFer. He's not Don Mattingly. There is no argument there.

This is fun. How riled up can we get Yankee fans?

Reaction Score
And I'm pretty sure I never said Jeter is not a HoFer.

Still waiting for someone to show me where I sate that Jeter is not a Hall of Famer. I said that without Ripken blazing the trail, He's a 3rd Baseman.

If given 3B for all or half of his career, Jeter may very well not have compiled the stats he did and possibly would not have attained HOF status. I never said Jeter is not a HOFer. He's not Don Mattingly. There is no argument there.

This is fun. How riled up can we get Yankee fans?

I'm not a Yankees fan, but no one ever accused you of saying he absolutely wasn't a HOFer. You inferred that. The original comment was in response to you saying he possibly wouldn't have been a HOFer. I'm also not really sure how had he been a 3B, he may not have compiled the stats he did.... Is it because he would have been playing a less strenuous position?

Husky25

Reaction Score
I'm not a Yankees fan, but no one ever accused you of saying he absolutely wasn't a HOFer. You inferred that. The original comment was in response to you saying he possibly wouldn't have been a HOFer. I'm also not really sure how had he been a 3B, he may not have compiled the stats he did.... Is it because he would have been playing a less strenuous position?

No, the original comment was in response to Jeter's transcendence (or lack thereof).

Every one of my posts explicitly states that Jeter is a HoFer and probably on the 1st ballot. The only time I mention the possibility otherwise was clearly a hypothetical based on revisionist history. That said, it is absolutely my opinion that if Ripken was not moved to shortstop in 1982 then Jeter would have been a 3rd baseman as well.

Now, excuse me. I have to go snowblow the driveway. :eek:

Reaction Score
No, the original comment was in response to Jeter's transcendence (or lack thereof).

Every one of my posts explicitly states that Jeter is a HoFer and probably on the 1st ballot. The only time I mention the possibility otherwise was clearly a hypothetical based on revisionist history. That said, it is absolutely my opinion that if Ripken was not moved to shortstop in 1982 then Jeter would have been a 3rd baseman as well.
Which still leads back to you saying that he potentially would not have been a HOFer, which is what Excalibur commented on. No one has accused of saying he absolutely isn't a HOFer. I'm not sure why you're so defensive about what you said.

Reaction Score
Well if it makes you feel better, I'm not a Red Sox fan, but I do understand the reasoning now haha. Though I will say, the advanced defensive metrics definitely don't agree with cano over pedroia

Well we won't get into metrics because they mean very little….Cano makes more impact plays look easy so metrics suck! Sorry…….it's not that close!

But who cares we have UConn basketball……...

Reaction Score
Funniest part is that he compared him to Babe Ruth! You couldn't find a worse role model for society. Fortunately, he didn't grow up in the age of information.

Jeter wasn't even on MJ's, Ruth's, and Manning Montana's level in terms of being an icon either.
Jeter is easily as much of an icon as Joe Montana. Joe Montana is known for being a winner and what does 5 World Series titles mean to you???? He was clutch and savvy and classy and made big plays and performed when the lights were the brightest. How different is that than Montana. I won't compare Jeter to the other guys because I concede their place in history but Montana? He played for a hell of a club with super skilled players at every position and a Hall Of Fame coach so it wasn't the toughest thing in the world and didn't his replacement do just as well? So maybe it was more the team and less Joe Montana, right?

Reaction Score
Well we won't get into metrics because they mean very little….Cano makes more impact plays look easy so metrics suck! Sorry…….it's not that close!

But who cares we have UConn basketball……...
And this is the thinking that led to gold gloves for Jeter... ;)

Reaction Score
Jeter is a HOFer, but don't kid yourself, he was not a good fielder.... at all.
Your remark suggests that he wasn't a decent fielder? That he was a liability? You are definitely out of wack on that. Look at his fielding percentage. Not too shabby. He had good range, not great range but played the pivot well. He's not going to go into the Hall Of Fame based on his glove but if he wasn't at least a pretty decent fielder, he probably wouldn't get in at all. He never hurt the team with his glove and I think he was an asset because with the middle of any infield being a key to any defense, didn't the Yankees win a bunch of pennants and World Series. Your suggesting that their defense sucked, then???? Who the hell was making plays for the Yankees? Then they got ARod and wouldn't put him at shortstop so as not to ruffle Jeter's feathers in your mind? I don't think the Yankees patronized Jeter so much that they would allow an inferior defensive player to botch up the middle of the infield when they had an All Star shortstop in ARod who could make so much of a difference playing that position. I'll concede ARod was a better shortstop but the difference between them wasn't so substantial that the Yankees would move Jeter to Third. That suggests Jeter was pretty good and that your opinion really doesn't seem to have a lot of validity.

Reaction Score
Your remark suggests that he wasn't a decent fielder? That he was a liability. You are definitely out of wack on that. Look at his fielding percentage. He had good range, not great range and played the pivot well. He's not going to go into the Hall Of Fame based on his glove but if he wasn't at least a pretty decent fielder, he probably wouldn't get in at all. He never hurt the team with his glove and I think he was an asset because the middle of the infield being a key to any defense, didn't the Yankees win a bunch of pennants and World Series. Your suggesting that their defense sucked, then???? Who the hell was making plays for the Yankees? Then they got ARod and wouldn't put him at shortstop so as not to ruffle Jeter's feathers. I don't think the Yankees patronized Jeter that much that they would allow an inferior defensive player to botch up the middle of the infield when they had an All Star shortstop in ARod who could make so much of a difference playing that position. I'll concede ARod was a better shortstop but the difference between them wasn't so substantial that the Yankees would move Jeter to Third. That suggests Jeter was pretty good and that your opinion really doesn't seem to have a lot of validity.

Once ARod started using his range was history….legs slower was no longer a SS although when he was he was damn good, younger years! BUt Jeter was good when young, admittedly some GG's were a farce but again they still play favorites on that award!

Reaction Score
I got nothing against Jeets, ("yeaaah Jeets") but this is a true statement that cannot be emphasized enough.
I don't think him winning a Golden Glove was a big joke. I've seen him make countless outstanding plays and though his range wasn't as substantial as a couple of other guys, he had an accurate arm, made the pivot well and had a quick release while always making plays in the clutch. Now if Papi was getting a Golden Glove, then we have to concede it's April Fools Day or something.

Reaction Score

And to continue this pointless discussion, neither of those guys have career averages of 310... Rose was barely over 300 and Palmeiro was around 290. I still don't understand your premise that if Jeter were a 3B and put up those stats that he wouldn't have been a HOF. It doesn't make sense. I could understand you comparing a catcher or Ozzie Smith or something like that. But anyone over 3000 hits (without enormous baggage) is or will be a hall of famer (despite my belief that Craig Biggio should not be one, but that's another pointless discussion for another time).

Reaction Score
I love Jeter but good lord you've put him above Mandela status.
Mandela played baseball?????? He's talking about baseball which was called America's pastime when I was growing up. You find so many players in so many sports getting adulation and a lot of them, most of them fall short of being a healthy image for kids to aspire to. Jeter isn't one of those guys who falls short. You never hear him being controversial, talking down anybody, raising a fuss, showing up umpires or managers. He's always carried himself well and to do that in the media center of the world, with a microphone constantly forced down your throat, he's been articulate, positive, hardworking and skilled for twenty years. There are others who've also been a role model on and off the field but not in a market like New York where your every move is under scrutiny 24/7. You've heard remarks from a lot of people that aren't Yankee groupies in the baseball community including the commissioner who've lauded his achievements on the field and that way he's represented himself, the Yankees and major baseball over these twenty years. This announcement should have been a time for people to show respect for the way he's played (hard) and for the positive role model he's been and not find some stupid knitpicking issues questioning whether he was absolutely the best defensive shortstop in the years that he was selected as Golden Glove. Those arguments should have been discussed then and not with him but with whoever votes for the Golden Glove. He's an amazingly well rounded ballplayer whose a credit to the game, period!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Jeter is easily as much of an icon as Joe Montana. Joe Montana is known for being a winner and what does 5 World Series titles mean to you???? He was clutch and savvy and classy and made big plays and performed when the lights were the brightest. How different is that than Montana. I won't compare Jeter to the other guys because I concede their place in history but Montana? He played for a hell of a club with super skilled players at every position and a Hall Of Fame coach so it wasn't the toughest thing in the world and didn't his replacement do just as well? So maybe it was more the team and less Joe Montana, right?

Eh, I just threw Montana in there, mainly because someone else tried sneaking Peyton Manning with that group. Which I thought was laughable. Whenever anyone talks best QB ever, Montana is usually the first name that comes up (whether it's correct or not).

Also, while they are both team sports, a quarterback is a hell of a lot more important to his team than any position in baseball. Any position in sports actually.

The 5 world series titles is good, no question. But I'd argue an individual's players importance to a title in baseball is less so than a sport like basketball or a position like quarterback in football.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Bill Walsh and Joe Montana created a brand new offensive philosophy for their time, portions of which are still used today. They transcend their sport. Joe Montana is in the conversation of the greatest player in the history of his game. Jeter does not transcend his sport and he is barely in the top ten in his own teams' history.

Disclaimer: Jeter will be elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
And to continue this pointless discussion, neither of those guys have career averages of 310... Rose was barely over 300 and Palmeiro was around 290. I still don't understand your premise that if Jeter were a 3B and put up those stats that he wouldn't have been a HOF. It doesn't make sense. I could understand you comparing a catcher or Ozzie Smith or something like that. But anyone over 3000 hits (without enormous baggage) is or will be a hall of famer (despite my belief that Craig Biggio should not be one, but that's another pointless discussion for another time).
Because typically, 3b is a power position, which is not Jeter's offensive game. It was not Boggs' game either and he is in the HoF, but that doesn't further my pointless view.

All of my posts continues to go back to the, "Jeter transcends..." comment that the OP made. How can he transcend? He wasn't the best of his era by a wide margin (No MVPs. A-Rod, Ripken and Larkin; Smith and Vizquel for defense all have a stake in the conversation) or first (Ripken. Before Ripken, SS before him were puny in comparison and defensive in nature).

Disclaimer: Jeter will be elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum.

Reaction Score
Your remark suggests that he wasn't a decent fielder? That he was a liability? You are definitely out of wack on that. Look at his fielding percentage. Not too shabby. He had good range, not great range but played the pivot well. He's not going to go into the Hall Of Fame based on his glove but if he wasn't at least a pretty decent fielder, he probably wouldn't get in at all. He never hurt the team with his glove and I think he was an asset because with the middle of any infield being a key to any defense, didn't the Yankees win a bunch of pennants and World Series. Your suggesting that their defense sucked, then???? Who the hell was making plays for the Yankees? Then they got ARod and wouldn't put him at shortstop so as not to ruffle Jeter's feathers in your mind? I don't think the Yankees patronized Jeter so much that they would allow an inferior defensive player to botch up the middle of the infield when they had an All Star shortstop in ARod who could make so much of a difference playing that position. I'll concede ARod was a better shortstop but the difference between them wasn't so substantial that the Yankees would move Jeter to Third. That suggests Jeter was pretty good and that your opinion really doesn't seem to have a lot of validity.

You know you can win a world series with a sub-par fielder on the team, right? And not to come across as obnoxious, but quoting fielding percentage as proof of his defensive ability is the same incredibly flawed thinking that leads to close-minded baseball writers selecting undeserving gold glove winners. He was sure handed when he got to the ball, but his range was consistently not good and trying to judge that over a career based on amateur observation is a total exercise in futility. Pretty much every advanced defensive metric shares a common negative view of Jeter's defense over the course of his career. And let's be honest, with over 3300 hits, a .380 career OBP and a .310 BA, he was getting in to the HOF regardless of his defense. Take a look at this post:
http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/44294/a-few-notes-on-derek-jeters-defense

You can argue that he wasn't that bad, fine, but there's really no legitimate argument that he wasn't a defensive liability over the course of his career. He was an incredibly valuable player and easily one of the best SSs of all time, but that value came from the bat, not the glove, but realistically it just really doesn't matter where the value comes from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom