OT: Cronin visiting UNLV | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Cronin visiting UNLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UNLV does have a feeder program. If they could find a competent coach they would be a high profile program almost instantly.

I think Cronin is a pretty good coach but it's staring to feel like Sendek at NC State.

Reaction Score
UNLV does have a feeder program. If they could find a competent coach they would be a high profile program almost instantly.

I think Cronin is a pretty good coach but it's staring to feel like Sendek at NC State.
That's an apt comparison, I think.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Bronco Mendenhall leaves BYU for P5 job.
Boneyard: That must mean BYU isn't going to a P5.

Mick Cronin (potentially) leaves Cincy for a NON-P5 job.
Boneyard: That must mean Cincy isn't going to a P5.

So if Jamie Dixon is talking to TCU, that means the B12 is about to hit the jackpot, right?

Reaction Score
Yeah but the MWC will always be a one bid league, SD st. just had a great season and got snubbed when they lost in the conference tourney.
They had 3 literally last year, and 2 the year before (one of which was a 4 seed), and 5 the year before that.

SDSU didn't make it this year because they didn't beat anyone out of conference.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
Cincy is a dump with bad sports teams.
I grew up in CT and have lived in Cincy for 20 years. If you think Cincy is a dump you obviously never spent any time here. The schools are better and housing is much cheaper. I'm hard pressed to give Ct an advantage over SW Ohio except for skiing, the sound and Italian food.

Reaction Score
I grew up in CT and have lived in Cincy for 20 years. If you think Cincy is a dump you obviously never spent any time here. The schools are better and housing is much cheaper. I'm hard pressed to give Ct an advantage over SW Ohio except for skiing, the sound and Italian food.
don't forget the college basketball teams!

Reaction Score
They had 3 literally last year, and 2 the year before (one of which was a 4 seed), and 5 the year before that.

SDSU didn't make it this year because they didn't beat anyone out of conference.

No, they had one last year-Wyoming and one the year before SD st.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Without question the worst thing about Cincinnati is you have to go to Kentucky to get on an airplane.

Reaction Score
No, they had one last year-Wyoming and one the year before SD st.
Not trying to be a jerk, but you know this is Google-able, right? And I did that before I posted, right?

I'll stop at 2011. But from 2011-2015, they got at least 2 schools, and as many as 5, with seeds as high as a 2.

2015 NCAA tournament
8 San Diego State
11 Boise State
12 Wyoming

2014 NCAA tournament
4 San Diego State
7 New Mexico

2013 NCAA tournament
3 New Mexico
5 UNLV
7 San Diego State
8 Colorado State
13 Boise State

2012 NCAA tournament
5 New Mexico
6 San Diego State
6 UNLV
11 Colorado State

2011 NCAA tournament
2 San Diego State
3 BYU*
8 UNLV

----------------------
*in WCC now.

Reaction Score
Not trying to be a jerk, but you know this is Google-able, right? And I did that before I posted, right?

I'll stop at 2011. But from 2011-2015, they got at least 2 schools, and as many as 5, with seeds as high as a 2.

2015 NCAA tournament
8 San Diego State
11 Boise State
12 Wyoming

2014 NCAA tournament
4 San Diego State
7 New Mexico

2013 NCAA tournament
3 New Mexico
5 UNLV
7 San Diego State
8 Colorado State
13 Boise State

2012 NCAA tournament
5 New Mexico
6 San Diego State
6 UNLV
11 Colorado State

2011 NCAA tournament
2 San Diego State
3 BYU*
8 UNLV

----------------------
*in WCC now.

LOL, my bad

Uconnrick

Reaction Score
Without question the worst thing about Cincinnati is you have to go to Kentucky to get on an airplane.
Locals don't use that airport due to the brutally high cost to fly in and out. We go to Dayton which is very similar to Bradley.

Reaction Score
Locals don't use that airport due to the brutally high cost to fly in and out. We go to Dayton which is very similar to Bradley.
Dayton Flyers, ba da, bum! ;)

And, Vegas is a crap hole of epic proportions! So what, they have no state income tax. Ya pay one way or another, and desert living blows! As CAHusky rightfully knows, at least Reno's close to incredible outdoors activities. Vegas, desert, more desert, and blah excuses for nice suburbs. Get in, get the phark out ... maybe like a curmudgeonly, leprechaun of a coach shooting for a career life raft, $ grab, or some blow.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
He wouldn't be the first to believe his pot of gold is in Vegas. Damn leprechaun.

If true, I am guesing this is leverage to make Cincy give him a raise.
Could be a roundabout way to South Bend for the leprechaun job.

Reaction Score
Been there plenty of times unfortunately. Been to Vegas tons too. I'd live in Vegas 50x over Cincy.

Reaction Score
I'm the complete opposite and have spent a lot of time in both places. Vegas is a transient place which is hot as h.ll in the summer and nasty.Fun to visit for a bachelor party, but over the long haul it's not a great place to live. I think Cronin has a radio show tomorrow out of Cincy so if he's on it, you can kind of judge the worth of the fact he was going on a plane to Vegas. The guy they fired(Dave Rice) was a UNLV alum and honestly not a bad coach. He recruited pretty well there particularly given it's a mwest school. I suspect he may land somewhere else.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's all over TMZ. Mick Cronin is a coked-up, skirt-chasing party animal After Dark
Leprechaun-3-1995_thumb2.jpg

http://i2./blog.epixhd.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/leprechaun-3-still-7.jpg
Lol - You've been on a roll lately.

Last edited:

Uconnrick

Reaction Score
Been there plenty of times unfortunately. Been to Vegas tons too. I'd live in Vegas 50x over Cincy.
If I was single I might agree with you. With a family, no freaking way!

Reaction Score
Money talks, and if the rumors are true that the boosters are UNLV are willing to back up the Brinks truck to bring in a coach, I could see Cronin making the move from Cincy to UNLV. One other underrated aspect is the number of AAU tournaments that occur in Vegas each summer, which would give Cronin access to a ton of recruits.

If it were me, I'd have no interest in leaving somewhere like Cincy to go to UNLV, but if the money is right, maybe?

Reaction Score
You can't blame him for wanting to get the hell away from Kevin Ollie as best he can. We know how superstitious we are as fans, if he's a superstitious coach, he might literally just need a change of scenery to keep his head in the coaching game. Had to have been a frustrating week for the team and its coach, so I think its weird knowing he has ties at Cinci, but maybe the guy just isn't ten toes in...

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
We need to have seance to get rid of everything that gave us bad mojo and toss it all into the fire. Maybe Mick got word of this and wanted to escape burning up.

Reaction Score
Money talks, and if the rumors are true that the boosters are UNLV are willing to back up the Brinks truck to bring in a coach, I could see Cronin making the move from Cincy to UNLV. One other underrated aspect is the number of AAU tournaments that occur in Vegas each summer, which would give Cronin access to a ton of recruits.

If it were me, I'd have no interest in leaving somewhere like Cincy to go to UNLV, but if the money is right, maybe?
But how much more would UNLV realistically pay Cronin? He's not a bad coach (basically Pastner Plus), but it's not like he guarantees increased success, especially considering how much he is already getting paid at Cinci that UNLV would need to top

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom