OT Cordcutting alternative to Sling | The Boneyard

OT Cordcutting alternative to Sling

Reaction Score
I was happy to cut the cord and go with Sling on my Fire TV. But the quality kind of sucked for me despite fiber to the home speeds. Recently a neighbor of mine that I turned on to Sling pointed me to PLAYVUE (PlayStation View) But it has apps for all devices including the Fire TV. Man is it way better than Sling. Picture is superior and no app crashing. Way more channels available. The largest package is only 45 bucks but the middle package for 35 has what I need (Fox sports and all ESPN, B10, SEC). Plus it has DVR capabilities and multi room is allowed. Hopefully it wont suck when the 30 day trial ends. Might be worth checking out if you have ever considered cutting the cord. At least it's a partial cut with no contracts.

Reaction Score
I just took on Sling last week and it kind of sucks. Lots of buffering/lagging and I'm trying to get them to refund me my prepaid 3 months. As enticing as the cord cutting is, at least in my town w/ Comcast, you've got to pay for a quality internet to have the streaming work effectively. But at that price with the streamer, you'd be better off just taking on a "bundle" and having quality cable.

Reaction Score
So far I'm finding this new service quality to be much more like a cable service. Sling was crap compared to this. I would give the free trial a whirl

Reaction Score
so maybe you know, Revrat... Is the Yes Network available? On the initial page where they show their plans it is there with fine print basically saying that channels differ based on your location. Then when you click on the "start your trial" page with the plans, it is gone. One of the only reasons for me to do this would be to be able to watch the Yankees.

Reaction Score
I have no problems or lag with Sling. I love the service. Note, we have Comcast with 9 Gig bandwidth on a Roku stick

Reaction Score
so maybe you know, Revrat... Is the Yes Network available? On the initial page where they show their plans it is there with fine print basically saying that channels differ based on your location. Then when you click on the "start your trial" page with the plans, it is gone. One of the only reasons for me to do this would be to be able to watch the Yankees.
I've had Playstation View since the start of MLB season when I cut the Comcast cord. I have the Yes network here in Connecticut...it might be a regional thing. I also got an over-the-air antenna for the occasional game on MYTV9, works great. The OTA HD quality is better than what I got from Comcast.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
I attempted to use Sling with an X Box1 and the experience was excruciating. This was prior to PSVue being available. I sold the X Box (I'm not a gamer) and bought a Tivo Bolt thinking I'd bail on Sling but...... the interface with the Bolt is flawless with all of the apps and I love the DVR function. You can record up to 4 programs at a time.
If your cutting the cord, Id suggest you check out the Bolt and avoid the X Box 1 as a multimedia machine.

Reaction Score
Another vote for PlayStation Vue. I'm paying $35/month and get ALL THE SPORTS CHANNELS. Even BeIN for soccer games which I can never watch.

The only channel I really miss is NESN. Here's hoping it shows up at some point.

Reaction Score

So from what I know (probably going Vue after the contract is up) is that Vue picks one local sports station per Market for the package. So i think the CT Market as a whole gets YES because that what the One it was deemed for our market. They do not split the CT Market so no SNY or NESN.

If you went to Springfield it would probably.

Reaction Score
I'm in CT so hopefully YES is there then... But no SNY? That blows for the UConn factor.

Reaction Score
I just took on Sling last week and it kind of sucks. Lots of buffering/lagging and I'm trying to get them to refund me my prepaid 3 months. As enticing as the cord cutting is, at least in my town w/ Comcast, you've got to pay for a quality internet to have the streaming work effectively. But at that price with the streamer, you'd be better off just taking on a "bundle" and having quality cable.

I'm in sales for Comcast so I always find these discussions interesting. It's all about personal preference and tolerance for inconveniences I guess. Despite having cable, I also use a Fire Stick and occasionally other devices just to stay well informed on all the options out there. For me, I prefer cable still, especially with the Comcast X1 platform. Cox now leases the X1 technology as well. If you're still using cable TV and have either Comcast or Cox, do yourself a big favor and upgrade to the X1 or Contour, the X1 upgrade should be free. From my experience, internet speed is crucial for streaming, a 75/5 speed or higher is recommended, 150/10 is ideal. I'm going to check out the Playstation Vue myself, thanks for the suggestion.

Reaction Score
Got an OTA antenna which gets me around 14 channels and Playstation vue for 29.99. Went from a 170 cable bill to a 100 which is for vue and High speed internet.

Reaction Score
I got DirecTV down to $50 a month, my yearly call to threaten cancellation always comes through.

Reaction Score
So I was legitimately interested in Vue until I actually tried to sign up for a trial and was greeted with error message after error message. Everything was invalid from my username, password, even zip code. I tried to use their chat feature and that crashed. So I called Comcast, they offered a really nice deal with no contract, and the cord will be plugged back in. I'm all for saving $$ obviously, but I'd still like to have some sort of quality at my disposable. Sling was pretty craptastic and Vue (from the enormous amounts of error messages via google) still has a lot to sort out. I will definitely revisit in the spring to see if there is another Yes provider.

Reaction Score
So I was legitimately interested in Vue until I actually tried to sign up for a trial and was greeted with error message after error message. Everything was invalid from my username, password, even zip code. I tried to use their chat feature and that crashed. So I called Comcast, they offered a really nice deal with no contract, and the cord will be plugged back in. I'm all for saving $$ obviously, but I'd still like to have some sort of quality at my disposable. Sling was pretty craptastic and Vue (from the enormous amounts of error messages via google) still has a lot to sort out. I will definitely revisit in the spring to see if there is another Yes provider.
Boog, you and me both! I've lost a lot of sales due to not having the YES network. I think there will be a lot of incentive for both sides to strike a deal by April. If anyone is going to switch back to Comcast I can most likely help you get a "Boneyard" discount, esp on triple plays.

Reaction Score
Funny boog because I had the same problems trying to sign up. I was using firefox as my browser and error messages kept coming up. I tried google chrome and the same happened. I then used microsoft edge web browser and my signup worked flawlessly. Vue is an awesome product. Looks perfect 1080 and streams smoothly. I will never go back to cox.

Reaction Score
I got DirecTV down to $50 a month, my yearly call to threaten cancellation always comes through.

Thats what I used to do, but ever since they got bought by ATT I felt like their customer service wasn't as good at retaining people. I went with comcast when my contract was up.

I'm saving about $50 a month for internet, phone, and cable. The directv genie is so much better than the X1 platform from comcast. I can't wait until the day when my contract is up and I can go back to directv.

Reaction Score
Funny boog because I had the same problems trying to sign up. I was using firefox as my browser and error messages kept coming up. I tried google chrome and the same happened. I then used microsoft edge web browser and my signup worked flawlessly. Vue is an awesome product. Looks perfect 1080 and streams smoothly. I will never go back to cox.

I just tried using Edge and got different error messages. I think the universe is trying to tell me something. Tentoes, any chance you can apply the "boneyard discount" to my current deal?

Reaction Score
I just tried using Edge and got different error messages. I think the universe is trying to tell me something. Tentoes, any chance you can apply the "boneyard discount" to my current deal?
Haha, I wish I could help with that Boog. In general, I can help friends and family when someone is a new or previous subscriber and doing a triple play or quad (with home automation and home security). Especially on packages that include movies, I can usually get someone $40 or more discount per month and credits for switching over. I wish we had talked before you signed back up!

Reaction Score
Haha, I wish I could help with that Boog. In general, I can help friends and family when someone is a new or previous subscriber and doing a triple play or quad (with home automation and home security). Especially on packages that include movies, I can usually get someone $40 or more discount per month and credits for switching over. I wish we had talked before you signed back up!

Sent you a "conversation..." Not sure how those even work, but I have a question for you! Thanks!

Reaction Score
I finally got Vue to work and it looks quite good so far. Much better quality than Sling and no lagging/buffering issues as of yet. There's still a slight "digital" vibe but it doesn't make you somewhat nauseous like Sling did. And for those of you in CT, it does have YES.

Reaction Score
I finally got Vue to work and it looks quite good so far.
Cool. Yes is definitely a regional add. Last week I fired up P-Vue and Yes was missing. Called customer service and got someone right away and he spoke fluent English! He knew right away what was going on--Comcast had moved my IP address location out of the regional area for Yes. Gave him my Hartford zip code and all was fixed. He said but was not sure that Yes is a regional add in CT, NY and NJ.

Reaction Score
Cool. Yes is definitely a regional add. Last week I fired up P-Vue and Yes was missing. Called customer service and got someone right away and he spoke fluent English! He knew right away what was going on--Comcast had moved my IP address location out of the regional area for Yes. Gave him my Hartford zip code and all was fixed. He said but was not sure that Yes is a regional add in CT, NY and NJ.

And something else to consider for those who are thinking of cutting the cord. While Vue looks quite good and I didn't have any lags or issues in the first day of my trial, it uses an a$$ton of data. So I checked with Comcast who I do my internet through and they told me there is a 300mb cap on data for the month. I'd imagine using Vue a decent amount would blow through the cap and all the $$ you saved by cutting the cord, would be repaid by your data overages. There are lots of threads on the interwebs about this issue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom