OT Cordcutting alternative to Sling | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT Cordcutting alternative to Sling

Reaction Score
There's an article in the Boston Globe today going through all the options for cord cutters and the pros and cons of each.

There’s a dizzying array of video streaming services to choose from. In general, subscription services such as Hulu and Netflix make the most sense for those who watch a lot of shows and movies, and for fans of original series.

Here’s an overview of options:

Cutting the cable TV cord? Here are some options - The Boston Globe

Not sure if you need to be a Globe subscriber to access this but if you can't read it let me know and I can PM you the whole article.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Another vote for PlayStation Vue. I'm paying $35/month and get ALL THE SPORTS CHANNELS. Even BeIN for soccer games which I can never watch.

The only channel I really miss is NESN. Here's hoping it shows up at some point.

+1 on Playstation Vue. It is awesome.

Reaction Score
I've been using Vue for 3-4 months because of the same issues with Sling. It's 1000x better.

Reaction Score
For the Vue guys, do you have issues with data consumption?

Reaction Score
For the Vue guys, do you have issues with data consumption?

I don't have a monthly cap on my data usage, and right now I'm at 214 GB. Though bear in mind, I also re-installed Windows on my laptop and re-downloaded a bunch of games, which probably contributed ~100 GB.

So... maybe?

Reaction Score
I have no problems with Sling. $45/month gets me Yes, FS1/2, NFL Network, Red Zone, a few ESPN (plus Watch ESPN and ESPN3), and a bunch of other lifestyle/entertainment channels (AMC, TBS, Nat Geo, Vice, etc, etc)

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
I have no problems with Sling. $45/month gets me Yes, FS1/2, NFL Network, Red Zone, a few ESPN (plus Watch ESPN and ESPN3), and a bunch of other lifestyle/entertainment channels (AMC, TBS, Nat Geo, Vice, etc, etc)

I've just had issues with the quality of Sling's stream. Never had that issue with PS Vue. If it is working for ya, don't change though.

Reaction Score
I've just had issues with the quality of Sling's stream. Never had that issue with PS Vue. If it is working for ya, don't change though.

Same, though my reason for switching was that Vue has a much better sports package.

Reaction Score

Agreed. For those saving money a Firestick or Roku (or Chromecast) is also much cheaper than a PS4.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Agreed. For those saving money a Firestick or Roku (or Chromecast) is also much cheaper than a PS4.

Are you talking about Vue? If so, it is available on Roku now.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
oh wow, I didn't know that, I thought it was only available through the PlayStation.

Yeah, Roku just got it about 3-4 months ago. Only other device I know of that has it are (Sony) smart TVs.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Haha, I wish I could help with that Boog. In general, I can help friends and family when someone is a new or previous subscriber and doing a triple play or quad (with home automation and home security). Especially on packages that include movies, I can usually get someone $40 or more discount per month and credits for switching over. I wish we had talked before you signed back up!

You aren't kidding... Our year long intro rate expired with Comcast, at the same time FIOS because available in my neighborhood. I just wanted Internet because I have DirecTV... called up Comcast and told them the intro offer from FIOS, they gave me a really great deal on the 150/10 plus basic cable for less than I was paying for just internet and less than I would have paid for FIOS. DirecTV is really just too expensive.

I may look at a combination of Vue (because I have two PS4s and a Roku) and the basic cable I get from Comcast now.

Reaction Score
Kids got a PS4 for Xmas, so thinking about Vue instead of cable now. Maybe I'm an "off my lawn" guy, but from the PS4 unit, I don't see how to access. Also try Hd controller is a PITA - no way am I going to use that to move around.

Any suggestions - it can't be as difficult as I'm making it.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Does Vue include any pay channels like HBO?

Reaction Score
Does Vue include any pay channels like HBO?
I have the core slim option at $35 a month, no HBO or Showtime. You'd need the Ultra Slim option at $65 a month to get those. I do get YES but with the new agreement with Comcast I'll need to reconsider going all-in with Comcast.
Channels

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I have the core slim option at $35 a month, no HBO or Showtime. You'd need the Ultra Slim option at $65 a month to get those. I do get YES but with the new agreement with Comcast I'll need to reconsider going all-in with Comcast.
Channels

Is this similar to Netflix or Hulu, where you can stream at any time, or is it like Charter , and shows have to be watched when broadcast?

Reaction Score
Is this similar to Netflix or Hulu, where you can stream at any time, or is it like Charter , and shows have to be watched when broadcast?
So far my experience with PSV is you get a schedule line-up and shows have to be watched when the are scheduled. There's no streaming of past shows, except they have added ABC and Fox on-demand for watching past shows. I don't know if streaming is available for HBO/Showtime since they're not in my package.

Reaction Score
did anyone sign up for the new directv now option. it is only available over the internet and have seen negative reviews about how the streaming buffers a lot. want to hear from you about it. I've been looking at the vue, sling, directv now just not sure what to do. need to get away from comcast

Reaction Score
I want to alert those who have a Directv that some of their 2 year commitments, the price changes after 1 year. Happened to me, went from $100 to 165 with HBO and sports package tv only. So it would cost $200 to buy out. I want YES, and all the UCONN channels plus HBO so maybe Sling is the way to go. These guys are pirates!

Reaction Score
I want to alert those who have a Directv that some of their 2 year commitments, the price changes after 1 year. Happened to me, went from $100 to 165 with HBO and sports package tv only. So it would cost $200 to buy out. I want YES, and all the UCONN channels plus HBO so maybe Sling is the way to go. These guys are pirates!

With directv now they have 100 channels for $35 plus HBO and Cinemax for $5 extra per month per channel. That $35 a month is for life if you sign up before monday.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
So far my experience with PSV is you get a schedule line-up and shows have to be watched when the are scheduled. There's no streaming of past shows, except they have added ABC and Fox on-demand for watching past shows. I don't know if streaming is available for HBO/Showtime since they're not in my package.

There is no "On demand" for past shows, but you can put shows in favorites and record them.

For HBO, just go sign up at HBO Now.

Reaction Score
I tried the free trial of PSVue tonight and I can't find network live (ABC, CBS, NBC, etc.). Urgh.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom