OT: College BBall ratings for the entire season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: College BBall ratings for the entire season

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The funny part about this thread, and basically all the Big East bashing threads, is that none of you can make an affirmative case for why the AAC is a good league for UConn. None of you can make an affirmative case for how staying in a southern mid-major league gets UConn into a P5 conference. None of you have ever come up with a single idea of how UConn can come up with another nickel of revenue which it desperately needs.

You all seem to think that ragging on the Big East will make UConn's situation any better. I told you guys exactly what was going to happen months before it happened. I said UConn attendance was going to suffer from this schedule, and the AAC was not getting 5 teams in the dance. UConn basketball is having an incredible year, and attendance sucked. What happens if UConn has a rebuilding year?

Actually, it has been worse than I had thought, because I did not predict the seedings bloodbath on Selection Sunday.

Reaction Score
The funny part about this thread, and basically all the Big East bashing threads, is that none of you can make an affirmative case for why the AAC is a good league for UConn. None of you can make an affirmative case for how staying in a southern mid-major league gets UConn into a P5 conference. None of you have ever come up with a single idea of how UConn can come up with another nickel of revenue which it desperately needs.

You all seem to think that ragging on the Big East will make UConn's situation any better. I told you guys exactly what was going to happen months before it happened. I said UConn attendance was going to suffer from this schedule, and the AAC was not getting 5 teams in the dance. UConn basketball is having an incredible year, and attendance sucked. What happens if UConn has a rebuilding year?

Actually, it has been worse than I had thought, because I did not predict the seedings bloodbath on Selection Sunday.

Idk if you noticed, but we are almost singlehandedly driving MSG prices for Friday through the roof... I'd say that says a lot about our commitment to this program.

Reaction Score
Nelso is going to argue the chevy chase show was gaining momentum.
Man, I never liked Chevy Chase. Not in movies. Not on SNL. Just never did it for me.
But I tuned in to his 1st show, and I couldn't believe how bad it was and how unscripted it seemed. I really started to feel bad for the guy. Lord, it was the worst TV I have ever seen. Pat Sajak's foray into late night was 1000 times better, and that, while like watching paint dry, at least didn't make you sad.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Idk if you noticed, but we are almost singlehandedly driving MSG prices for Friday through the roof... I'd say that says a lot about our commitment to this program.

How does UConn get paid for MSG ticket prices on the secondary market? Can they pay Ollie with those?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

...and yet your alternative is to hitch to a train that's on fire, essentially abandon our football program, in return for a purse that isn't dramatically higher enough to warrant the faster drop into mediocrity. Before you admonish people for not offering an alternative - make sure your own suggestion makes sense - it doesn't.

Reaction Score
...and yet your alternative is to hitch to a train that's on fire, essentially abandon our football program, in return for a purse that isn't dramatically higher enough to warrant the faster drop into mediocrity. Before you admonish people for not offering an alternative - make sure your own suggestion makes sense - it doesn't.

But it does make sense just based on potential ticket sales alone. Which schedule will more fans be interested in and make borderline fans turn out to games?

Big East:
1. Georgetown
2. Villanova
3. St. John's
4. Seton Hall
5. Providence
6. Xavier
7. Creighton
8. Butler
9. Marquette
10. DePaul

AAC:
1. Tulsa
2. Tulane
3. Houston
4. Memphis
5. Cincy
6. SMU
7. Temple
8. East Carolina
9. UCF
10. USF

It's not even a comparison.

Reaction Score
But it does make sense just based on potential ticket sales alone. Which schedule will more fans be interested in and make borderline fans turn out to games?

Big East:
1. Georgetown
2. Villanova
3. St. John's
4. Seton Hall
5. Providence
6. Xavier
7. Creighton
8. Butler
9. Marquette
10. DePaul

AAC:
1. Tulsa
2. Tulane
3. Houston
4. Memphis
5. Cincy
6. SMU
7. Temple
8. East Carolina
9. UCF
10. USF

And if you rack and stack and then compare I would rather play every big east team over the AAC schools.

1. Georgetown over cincy
2. Nova over Memphis

Etc etc

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I have listed the arguments elsewhere, and they are irrefutable. Attack me all you want, but you can not make an affirmative case for the AAC, so you lose the argument. We KNOW that continued affiliation with a southern mid-major league is guaranteed failure for the athletic program GUARANTEED.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The funny part about this thread, and basically all the Big East bashing threads, is that none of you can make an affirmative case for why the AAC is a good league for UConn.

Football. C'mon man. Going Independent in football would crush the program.

1. No bowl tie-in (important if you remember a 9 win UCONN team did NOT get to a bowl game their first year in the Rent)
2. no guaranteed scheduling at a time when all of the P5 schools are talking expanding their conference schedules
3. related to #2 - no marquee games on the schedule
4. no TV because of #s 2 and 3
5. no money because of #4 because of #s 1, 2 and 3

A 12 game schedule would look something like this:
- UMASS (away)
- Buffalo (home)
- Ohio University (away)
- Southern Mississippi (home)
- Army (home)
Then 7 games against FCS opponents because we can't schedule anyone during conference play.

UCONN could go 12-0 with that schedule and still not have a single game sold out, televised or make a bowl game.

My advice to you (easier said than done) is to be patient. There is a 3-5 year plan in progress. We're entering year 2. Once football can be competitive again, UCONN will look much better in the eyes of CR world. Record Sweet 16 prices (higher than Final Four prices!) are showing that UCONN has significant presence in NYC. That's something P5 conferences want. Next step: get football back to bowl games and pack Yankee Stadium for the game against Army. Then all of this AAC vs Big East debate will be moot.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Football. C'mon man. Going Independent in football would crush the program.

1. No bowl tie-in (important if you remember a 9 win UCONN team did NOT get to a bowl game their first year in the Rent)
2. no guaranteed scheduling at a time when all of the P5 schools are talking expanding their conference schedules
3. related to #2 - no marquee games on the schedule
4. no TV because of #s 2 and 3
5. no money because of #4 because of #s 1, 2 and 3

A 12 game schedule would look something like this:
- UMASS (away)
- Buffalo (home)
- Ohio University (away)
- Southern Mississippi (home)
- Army (home)
Then 7 games against FCS opponents because we can't schedule anyone during conference play.

UCONN could go 12-0 with that schedule and still not have a single game sold out, televised or make a bowl game.

My advice to you (easier said than done) is to be patient. There is a 3-5 year plan in progress. We're entering year 2. Once football can be competitive again, UCONN will look much better in the eyes of CR world. Record Sweet 16 prices (higher than Final Four prices!) are showing that UCONN has significant presence in NYC. That's something P5 conferences want. Next step: get football back to bowl games and pack Yankee Stadium for the game against Army. Then all of this AAC vs Big East debate will be moot.

BYU has had no trouble scheduling as an independent. Yes, they are BYU and we are UConn, but with so many conferences eliminating or strongly discouraging games against FCS opponents, there are a lot of P5 schools looking for games.

With Louisville and Rutgers gone, along with WVU, Pitt and Syracuse previously, we don't have any marquee games. Some of those games you mentioned above would draw better than the games we are going to get, and the travel will kill us. You realize how expensive it is to put a field hockey team on a plane for every game they play?

The key to football independence is SNY and Fox. If we could get a 2-3 game contract for national games with Fox, and then get the rest on SNY, we would make more money and get better exposure than we will under the AAC/ESPN deal. We had 3 games that were Internet only last year. With home games on SNY, second tier P5 schools will schedule us to get on TV in New York instead of being Internet only or just local.

Get Army, Navy (I think it is 50/50 that Navy ever plays an AAC game, and that goes to 10/90 if anyone else leaves the AAC), Temple and UMass as every year games. Throw in a couple of MAC teams, then schedule the rest against P5 schools. That is essentially what BYU does in the west.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
BYU has had no trouble scheduling as an independent. Yes, they are BYU and we are UConn, but with so many conferences eliminating or strongly discouraging games against FCS opponents, there are a lot of P5 schools looking for games.

With Louisville and Rutgers gone, along with WVU, Pitt and Syracuse previously, we don't have any marquee games. Some of those games you mentioned above would draw better than the games we are going to get, and the travel will kill us. You realize how expensive it is to put a field hockey team on a plane for every game they play?

The key to football independence is SNY and Fox. If we could get a 2-3 game contract for national games with Fox, and then get the rest on SNY, we would make more money and get better exposure than we will under the AAC/ESPN deal. We had 3 games that were Internet only last year. With home games on SNY, second tier P5 schools will schedule us to get on TV in New York instead of being Internet only or just local.

Get Army, Navy (I think it is 50/50 that Navy ever plays an AAC game, and that goes to 10/90 if anyone else leaves the AAC), Temple and UMass as every year games. Throw in a couple of MAC teams, then schedule the rest against P5 schools. That is essentially what BYU does in the west.

Okay, the difference in opinion lies within the number of P5 games we think that we can schedule. You say half our schedule will be P5 games. I say 0-1 games per year (zero in most years). Look at how difficult it is for Warde to schedule P5 games now. BYU, Boise and Illinois. That's it. BYU and Boise aren't P5 but good series. Tennessee has been "postponed". Part of the problem is that not many big programs are going to come play at the Rent because it's too small. Michigan won't happen every year. P5 conferences are expanding and, thus, so will their in-conference schedules. That leaves less dates for them to schedule outside of their conference. A lot of P5 schools have rivalries with other OOC P5 schools (ex - Georgia vs Georgia Tech, Florida vs Florida St/Miami, Clemson vs South Carolina, Kentucky vs Louisville, Iowa vs Iowa St, etc) that they will want to continue on their OOC schedule. Couple all of this with the new playoff system and "strength of schedule" factors, schools are going to want to save their OOC dates for other P5 or G5 teams. Scheduling UCONN (whose strength of schedule against Temple, UMass, Army, Navy, etc would significantly drag down the weighting) would hurt playoff hopeful teams. And let's face it, EVERYONE thinks they are going to win in upcoming years. Schedules with Temple, UMass, and MAC teams just don't move the needle for UCONN fans. Get a ranked UCF or Cincinnati in here, and it is better. UCONN fans need to step up this year and sell out the Rent no matter who the opponent is, but this is what it is. The atmosphere for the game against Michigan is much different than the atmosphere for games against Temple and UMass.

That all said, I'm all for looking into a SNY/Fox TV contract. We all agree that UCONN needs to look for ways to increase revenue. You're right - field hockey, swimming, track, softball, etc relies on the revenue sports (football and basketball) to fund their expenses. No question UCONN got a raw deal with their AAC sentence. I happen to think that UCONN is on track and is positioning for a B1G invite...it's just going to take some time. Making drastic changes at this stage in the game would crush all of that. If UCONN is still stuck in the AAC in 2020 or beyond, then yeah, we need to re-evaluate. I just don't (maybe refuse to) believe that.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

BYU has a MAX of 4 P5 games booked for one year (2019 - Wisconsin, @UVA, USC, @Wazzu). That's with an obvious advantage of a bigger stadium, and a western location that encourages the league that has the least geographical P5 rivals (PAC12) to book them. They also have a natural P5 opponent that they can fall back on (Utah).

We have none of those things, outside maybe Rutgers as an opponent, and you're suggesting we can AVERAGE more than their MAX? ...and again, stop flipping and saying we need to justify AAC as viable. It still beats the pants off of this nonsense.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Big East:
1. Georgetown
2. Villanova
3. St. John's
4. Seton Hall
5. Providence
6. Xavier
7. Creighton
8. Butler
9. Marquette
10. DePaul

AAC:
1. Tulsa
2. Tulane
3. Houston
4. Memphis
5. Cincy
6. SMU
7. Temple
8. East Carolina
9. UCF
10. USF

It's not 1995. There is a lot of northeast historical bias in your belief that the current BE lineup is "no comparison" to the current AAC lineup. I would guess that nationally, the general public would find the BE and AAC equally unremarkable. Georgetown and Nova are the only two teams that I will miss UConn playing on that list. And...I would venture to guess that 10 years from now the AAC lineup of teams will be significantly better than the BE.

Of course I hope that UConn isn't amongst the AAC teams in 10 years.

Reaction Score

You live in a dream land if you think football independence is doable for UConn. If so many schools are clamoring to play us, why are we having so much trouble scheduling games with P5 teams? You think that suddenly gets easier if we're not in the AAC? You'd essentially be giving up on football permanently and reducing us to never, ever getting into a P5 conference. Glad you're not our AD.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
There are two things at play in this thread (and others).
1) Some posters lost the forest for the trees long ago. They don't know who they are, but everyone else does.
2) The AAC is not ideal, but the alternative shuts far too many doors to justify what is basically a nominal increase in revenue. The idea for UConn is not to stay in the AAC, but to put themselves in the best position to be picked out of it via actions they can actually control. This has chance of happening if Football is independent ranging somewhere between slim and none. Oh, and if UConn leaves the AAC, it loses all those credits and their share exit of the exit fee, further decreasing known future cash inflows.

I like that the administration is not saying much about conference realignment (like Cinci did a month ago). As long as the duck on the pond is moving, it is working tireless below the surface.

Recap of what we know:
1. UConn Foundation purchased a hosting house in W. HTFD
2. President hired the fundraiser, who had recently completed a $1 Billion (with a "B") endowment increase for Emory
3. Increased resources, as well as quantity and quality of faculty, in key non-administrative departments
4. Construction of a world class basketball practice facility
5. AD hired a Broyles Award Winner from a Blue Blood football program
6. Reaching the NCAA MBB Tournament Sweet Sixteen
7. Winning at least one national championship, with high potential for at least one more in the current year.
8. Maintaining recruit credibility

Am I missing something?

Reaction Score
And if you rack and stack and then compare I would rather play every big east team over the AAC schools.

1. Georgetown over cincy
2. Nova over Memphis

Etc etc

That was brilliant. You just clearly demonstrated that, if there was no such thing as NCAA football, our fans would rather play hoops and other sports in the Big East. Thank you so much for clearing that up.

Of course, UConn does play football, and even if it didn't there would be a fear as to whether basketball onlies will, 20 years from now, be positioned to play basketball at the top level.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There are two things at play in this thread (and others).
1) Some posters lost the forest for the trees long ago. They don't know who they are, but everyone else does.
2) The AAC is not ideal, but the alternative shuts far too many doors to justify what is basically a nominal increase in revenue. The idea for UConn is not to stay in the AAC, but to put themselves in the best position to be picked out of it via actions they can actually control. This has chance of happening if Football is independent ranging somewhere between slim and none. Oh, and if UConn leaves the AAC, it loses all those credits and their share exit of the exit fee, further decreasing known future cash inflows.

I like that the administration is not saying much about conference realignment (like Cinci did a month ago). As long as the duck on the pond is moving, it is working tireless below the surface.

Recap of what we know:
1. UConn Foundation purchased a hosting house in W. HTFD
2. President hired the fundraiser, who had recently completed a $1 Billion (with a "B") endowment increase for Emory
3. Increased resources, as well as quantity and quality of faculty, in key non-administrative departments
4. Construction of a world class basketball practice facility
5. AD hired a Broyles Award Winner from a Blue Blood football program
6. Reaching the NCAA MBB Tournament Sweet Sixteen
7. Winning at least one national championship, with high potential for at least one more in the current year.
8. Maintaining recruit credibility

Am I missing something?

1) You are arguing that UConn will gladly continue to lose millions on the athletic department indefinitely because...well, because.

2) We are already seeing the impact of this conference affiliation. Attendance is down and we are getting fewer nationally televised games for both sports. The women's basketball schedule is going to be a joke next year with Louisville gone. The biggest thing about the attendance is that it will lead to decreased interest in UConn athletics by the university community, which will lead to less willingness to fund losses. That cycle will feed on itself very quickly.

3) Football recruiting has not gone well, and I was underwhelmed by Diaco's staff. I was hoping for at least a couple of lateral moves from P5 programs, or at least a couple of coaches with senior level P5 experience.

4) The seeding was an insult, and the basketball conference is getting significantly worse next year.

5) The travel is going to be horrendous, which will impact recruiting for all sports.

6) Why would ESPN ever pay the ACC $20MM/year to take a UConn program that only costs them $2MM/year today? As long as we are beholden to ESPN through the AAC, they will not pay us a nickel more. If we want ESPN to pay more money, though another conference, then we need to make ESPN think we are going somewhere.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
We were on National TV more this year than any other year. But facts aren't your friend.

"Football recruiting has not gone well, and I was underwhelmed by Diaco's staff. I was hoping for at least a couple of lateral moves from P5 programs, or at least a couple of coaches with senior level P5 experience."

LOL. What a moron. We just landed the best recruit in the history of UCONN. By far.

I love when the facts crush your arguments, you just keep going like reality just doesn't exist.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We were on National TV more this year than any other year. But facts aren't your friend.

"Football recruiting has not gone well, and I was underwhelmed by Diaco's staff. I was hoping for at least a couple of lateral moves from P5 programs, or at least a couple of coaches with senior level P5 experience."

LOL. What a moron. We just landed the best recruit in the history of UCONN. By far.

I love when the facts crush your arguments, you just keep going like reality just doesn't exist.

You like the AAC. I get it.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
You like the AAC. I get it.

I love it. You can dispute the facts so you change the question.

If somone told you that 2+2=4, your response would be "you like the AAC"

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

What was the 2014 football recruiting class ranked by Scout and Rivals?

Was I incorrect about the backgrounds of Diaco's staff?

Does Depaul make 2x as much as UConn from its network TV contract?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
1) You are arguing that UConn will gladly continue to lose millions on the athletic department indefinitely because...well, because.
Where did I say (or type, as the case may be) indefinitely?

2) We are already seeing the impact of this conference affiliation. Attendance is down and we are getting fewer nationally televised games for both sports. The women's basketball schedule is going to be a joke next year with Louisville gone. The biggest thing about the attendance is that it will lead to decreased interest in UConn athletics by the university community, which will lead to less willingness to fund losses. That cycle will feed on itself very quickly.

More goes into attendance than conference realignment, including but not limited to: ) Technology, 2) Disposable income of the core fan, and 3) Team performance (FB went 3-9 as a rudderless ship). Women's basketball is wildly popular along the 42nd parallel, (between 71.5 Degrees and 73.5 degrees W), but it really isn't given much thought in many other parts of the country (i.e. it doesn't count for much). Be that as it may, the manner in which UConn has dispatched the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 7th, and 8th ranked teams in the country indicates that the rankings after Notre Dame should start at 9. The women haven't had much issue dispatching national powers, let alone their own conference opponents.

UConn just hired a football coach who, while hasn't taken the field for his first game as of yet, has breathed new life into the program since the announcement that the State broke ground in East Hartford. He's done everything short of offering everyone of the 40k it takes to fill the stadium a personally chauffeured ride to home games.

3) Football recruiting has not gone well, and I was underwhelmed by Diaco's staff. I was hoping for at least a couple of lateral moves from P5 programs, or at least a couple of coaches with senior level P5 experience.

(and I'm not talking about being a UConn Counter troll)? How do you make your living? If your title does not include a word even remotely related to athletic activities, then excuse me for deferring from you and to the current staff.

You say that all of your posts are rooted in logic and analytics. How exactly has recruiting not gone well and how it is laid at the feet of the current regime? Most of the new class is not on campus yet, the media is allowed only limited access to spring practice, which is closed to the public. As far as parallel moves from a P5 school. Well first, that's not the way it typically works, but I'll let that lie. Vincent Brown and Anthony Poindexter were plucked from Virginia and Brown played the game at an All-Pro level in the NFL at the position that is his focus. Wayne Lineburg (5 years), Kevin Wolthausen (10), Matt Balis (9), Don Patterson (20) and Josh Reardon (1) all have recent experience at a current P5 school, plus Mike Foley, who has ten years of BCS experience. But oh, it's technically not a p5 school. You may have also heard that UConn's new Head Coach is a Broyles award winner from NOTRE FRIGGIN' DAME UNIVERSITY.

Nelson's not impressed so the Diaco era is a failure before it starts.

4) The seeding was an insult, and the basketball conference is getting significantly worse next year.
The Seed was a bit of a slight. I would have though a 6 seed at worse, but the path to the sweet sixteen made up for it and now UConn has a decent chance to win on Friday in a virtual home game in New York City. Why is it a virtual home game? Because, 40% of the traffic on secondary market originated in Connecticut. That traffic is the cause of no longer being able to get in the door for under 5 Benjamins. The basketball conference takes a hit in the near term with Louisville leaving, but UConn can only play the teams on the schedule. They win and they are in. Want a better seed, play a better OOC schedule in out years. But how does that happen? Even Duke and has down years. In the age of stats, a name is not good anymore. Who do you know for a fact will have a good RPI?

5) The travel is going to be horrendous, which will impact recruiting for all sports.
See, the problem is that you're under the impression that posters refuting your alternative want to remain in the AAC. That just simply isn't so. The AAC does however give the school the best opportunity to improve their current situation. Things are happening outside the world of Athletics more than any of us think. Incidentally, travel (By most accounts) has not affected basketball recruiting for the immediate future.

6) Why would ESPN ever pay the ACC $20MM/year to take a UConn program that only costs them $2MM/year today? As long as we are beholden to ESPN through the AAC, they will not pay us a nickel more. If we want ESPN to pay more money, though another conference, then we need to make ESPN think we are going somewhere.

In case you haven't noticed, all indications are that the administration has turned its focus to the Big Ten.

But that's beyond the first row of trees and you appear to be nearsighted.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
(and I'm not talking about being a UConn Counter troll)? How do you make your living? If your title does not include a word even remotely related to athletic activities, then excuse me for deferring from you and to the current staff.

The same argument could have been made in December 2012 when many of us were saying that Pasqualoni should be fired. We deferred to Warde then. How did that work out?

The rest of the post is hopes and prayers. Every objective measurement shows headwinds for the athletic department from this conference, and your argument is that "the Big 10 will save us!!!". Rutgers did actually get saved by the Big 10, but that took almost a decade of dialogue and membership in a pretty strong Big East. Where will UConn's athletic program be after a decade in this conference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom