OT: College BBall ratings for the entire season | The Boneyard

OT: College BBall ratings for the entire season

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In a three-way tie for dead last were Monmouth/Seton Hall on November 18, Houston Baptist/DePaul on December 18, and VCU/Boston College on December 28, which each earned just 1,000 viewers on FS2

I'm shocked, shocked I say that "New England's team" only drew 1000 viewers. Just shocked.

Reaction Score
I'd be curious what our average number of viewers per game was in comparison to other big-name programs.

Reaction Score
Guys. Can anyone explain how they do TV ratings? Do they tap our cable boxes? how does it work. I always wondered. I almost feel like I'm being watched while I watch tv!

Reaction Score
Guys. Can anyone explain how they do TV ratings? Do they tap our cable boxes? how does it work. I always wondered. I almost feel like I'm being watched while I watch tv!

In a nutshell, the data is compiled from a smaller Nielsen sample size which is then extrapolated to a proportionate representation of the population and each different demographic.

Via their website:

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/nielsen-solutions/nielsen-measurement/nielsen-tv-measurement.html
HOW WE DO IT
Electronic and proprietary metering technology is at the heart of Nielsen audience measurement. In addition to capturing what channels viewers are watching on each television set in the home, our meters can identify who is watching and when, including “time-shifted” viewing—the watching of recorded programming up to seven days after an original broadcast.

Chosen at random through proven methodology, Nielsen’s U.S. TV families represent a cross-section of representative homes throughout the country. We measure viewing using our national and local people meters, which capture information about what’s being viewed and when, and in the major U.S. markets, specifically who and how many people are watching. We also have TV set meters in many local markets, and we collect more than two million paper diaries from audiences across the country each year during “sweeps”—specific periods during the months of February, May, July and November. To measure video content viewed on mobile devices, we have expanded our panels to incorporate census-style data from third parties in order to capture the breadth and depth of consumer usage.

Nielsen delivers a constant, real-time stream of information, revealing tuning behavior during programs and commercials. We can tell clients which commercials are being watched, as well as which ones have the strongest engagement and impact. We analyze which position in the program or commercial block is most effective for a specific brand and which markets will create the best return on investment for brands.

Reaction Score

If you don't know how they do it, then you are not part of the ratings. They only get numbers from families that knowingly provide the info.

Reaction Score
The B1G has consistently strong numbers. Did not realize they were a draw.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Nine of the ten least-viewed games involved a Big East team.

Hey Nelson - that kinda sums it up - yeah lets go indy in football and beg to join the Big East

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Hey Nelson - that kinda sums it up - yeah lets go indy in football and beg to join the Big East

Let's be seen less on TV, get less money (for the next 4 years) and destroy our football program.

Nelson is a genius.

Reaction Score
I'm shocked, shocked I say that "New England's team" only drew 1000 viewers. Just shocked.

1,000 viewers? That doesn't even cover the cost to list them on the Channel Guide.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Maybe we can pay Ollie and Diaco in ratings points. Maybe we can pay our travel costs for a southern conference in ratings points. Let me know how that goes.

You are comparing preseason guarantee games on a startup network against ESPN and ESPN2? Does Fox do anything that fails? And how many UConn games got no TV this year? 3? 4? I know 3 football games got no TV.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Did anyone actually follow the trend on the conferences over the course of the season?

First of all, AAC games between and among UConn, Memphis, Cincinnati and Louisville did fine. The rest of the games were bloodbaths, and the ratings got worse as the season wore on.

The FS1 ratings got significantly better as the season wore on, probably because more systems picked up FoxSports over the course of the season. Interestingly, within FS1, the Big East generally did better than the Pac 12. On March 13, Villanova/Seton Hall and SJU/Providence both thumped Houston/SMU in the same time slot.

Warde and Herbst should look at these ratings and want to throw up. First of all, while the Big East schools were getting almost all their games on one of FS1 or FS2, UConn only got some of its games on one of the ESPN broadcast networks. Secondly, when UConn was playing the bottom half of the American, no one watched the game despite significantly higher distribution for ESPN at this time.

These ratings are an endorsement of moving to the Big East. Open your eyes.

Reaction Score
Did anyone actually follow the trend on the conferences over the course of the season?

First of all, AAC games between and among UConn, Memphis, Cincinnati and Louisville did fine. The rest of the games were bloodbaths, and the ratings got worse as the season wore on.

The FS1 ratings got significantly better as the season wore on, probably because more systems picked up FoxSports over the course of the season. Interestingly, within FS1, the Big East generally did better than the Pac 12. On March 13, Villanova/Seton Hall and SJU/Providence both thumped Houston/SMU in the same time slot.

Warde and Herbst should look at these ratings and want to throw up. First of all, while the Big East schools were getting almost all their games on one of FS1 or FS2, UConn only got some of its games on one of the ESPN broadcast networks. Secondly, when UConn was playing the bottom half of the American, no one watched the game despite significantly higher distribution for ESPN at this time.

FWIW, more "systems" didn't pick up FS1 over the course of the season. FS1 was born out of a reprogrammed SPEED network so the household "availability" was there already. However, even though FS1 was launched in the same number of households SPEED had, that doesn't necessarily mean the same number of households subscribed to whatever programming tier the network falls under on a person's local cable provider. More people may have tuned in more throughout the course of the season but the household penetration likely remained the same.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

Enough already. UConn is not going to the New Big East. They simply have way too much invested in football and going independent is your personal pipe dream that isn't on anybody else's agenda.

Twist the numbers how ever you want, but get a different rant.

Clyde will be coaching the bigs at UConn before UConn joins the NBE.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
You are an absolute joke Nelson. C-USA final between Tulsa and Louisiana Tech "thumped" the Big East Final. Think about that. Everything in the past that has made the Big East Tournament what it was (all of the history and equity that we helped create), 12 months later its being played in front of 4,000 empty seats and for 700k viewers. The AAC had a million more viewers for its final.

FS1 is a cemetery.

The night before you had 1.3 million people watching the AAC semis combined, the Big East had 516,000 combined for their semis.

High school kids watch ESPN, you can find ways to make up for the $2mil in TV revenue (exit fees of 20 million, anyone home?), you can't just create exposure.

sdhusky

Reaction Score

I love when you brag on the FSN numbers. Very cool.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
March 8th, Georgetown at Nova gets 74k viewers!!!!....that same afternoon SMU/Memphis gets 250k on ESPN2. Sure, they got better as the season went on...Temple vs UCF first round AAC game (terrible game) outdraws the 2 opening round Big East games combined, with Georgetown playing. People watch ESPN.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Fox Business Network?
The Chevy Chase Show?
Most shows they've ever programmed with live humans in an acting environment?
THE NATIONAL SPORTS NETWORK THEY LAUNCHED IN THE 90'S?

Nelso is going to argue the chevy chase show was gaining momentum.

Reaction Score

You've twisted things badly here.

UConn got 16 games on ESPN and ESPN2 and CBS. 16!!! This doesn't count the U or CBSSN. An ACC school like NC State, by comparison, only got 4.

Let's do a little comparison here.

UConn v. Georgetown.

Let's see how the UConn ESPN games did (omitting v. Louisville):

252K Connecticut at Houston
893K Connecticut at Memphis
181K Connecticut at SMU
96K UCF at Connecticut
171K Connecticut at Rutgers
933K Connecticut at Cincinnati
308K Connecticut at UCF
136K USF at Connecticut
816K Memphis at Connecticut
105K Connecticut at Temple
1.075M Cincinnati at Connecticut
170K Rutgers at Connecticut

428K average for UConn

Here's Georgetown's FS games:

44K DePaul at Georgetown
66K St. John’s at Georgetown
73K Georgetown at Providence
121K Georgetown at Butler
114K Marquette at Georgetown
176K Georgetown at Creighton
105K Villanova at Georgetown
59K Georgetown at DePaul
54K Providence at Georgetown
395K Georgetown at St. John’s
145K Xavier at Georgetown
101K Georgetown at Marquette
168K Creighton at Georgetown
74K Georgetown at Villanova

120k average for G'town

One thing to look at is a UConn game v. UCF on ESPN2 going head-to-head with Creighton-St. John's drew 3x as many viewers on February 9.

Reaction Score
The great thing about the miserable situation UConn finds itself in is that ESPN is going to feature UConn a lot on ESPN and ESPN2 with Louisville gone, and now players are going to be watching the school play constantly. Sure, UConn gets paid peanuts, but the exposure for the bball program is going to be through the roof.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Enough already. UConn is not going to the New Big East. They simply have way too much invested in football and going independent is your personal pipe dream that isn't on anybody else's agenda.

Twist the numbers how ever you want, but get a different rant.

Clyde will be coaching the bigs at UConn before UConn joins the NBE.

Like I said, maybe they can pay Ollie in ratings then, because he will be coaching somewhere else in 5 years if UConn doesn't come up with more revenue. And if Diaco wins so much as 8 games, he will be gone too.

This is a failing business model, and it is failing quickly. UConn needs more revenue. If you have a better idea, lets hear it. Otherwise y0u are cheering for UConn's failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom