OT: Best Bagel in CT | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Bagel in CT

Reaction Score
I grew up in Stamford CT.. Many bagel shops. I now live in Richmond VA, much better BBQ down here, but their favorite bagels come from Panera and Einstein , not the same thing!!

Sounds like RTP, I have a lot of fiends who have moved there and the #1 complaint is where to find, real, good pizza, and #2 is ditto for bagels (folks from Jersey also bemoan the lack of Taylor Ham/Pork Roll along with Crumbcake, preferably B&W). Of course, they have BBQ and typically live in a house that's 4x the size of what they had in Jersey for the same or less cost.

Reaction Score
I envy you.

I have a half dozen major supermarkets within 1.5 miles of my house. For the most part all of their baguettes suck. Best of the bunch is the sourdough at Whole Foods. Second best are the ciabatta rolls (which are shipped frozen) at Trader Joes.

Even our top bakeries don't do baguettes all that well. Something about soft crusts and Pittsburgh. Classic CT "hard rolls" don't exist and 99% of the pizza is undercooked.

However, I can get a box of 4 exceptionally good croissants at Fresh Market for $3.99. Go figure.

I lived in France for a short time in my early 20's and on the way back from the clubs at 4 AM (mass transit ended at 1 AM) there was a bakery a few blocks before my pad that started to work on the bread around the same time. I would stand in front of the place drooling like a fool.

Reaction Score
I lived in France for a short time in my early 20's and on the way back from the clubs at 4 AM (mass transit ended at 1 AM) there was a bakery a few blocks before my pad that started to work on the bread around the same time. I would stand in front of the place drooling like a fool.

Speaking of bread, sandwiches, etc. have you tried Bogies Hoagies yet? I found it to be a perfectly good Jersey deli sub, but sooo overrated. You can find just as good in any town (and pay with a credit card).

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Which reminds me, my biggest question about Michael Clayton that I've never found an answer to was: What the hell was Tom Wilkinson going to do with all those baguettes? And where is THAT bakery in NYC?

DYnZmKyVAAAUTPq.jpg

Reaction Score
crucial thread. hard to find good bagels here. i am continually shocked at how barren the city of new haven is for bagel-lovers. in my experience, the only good bagel in town is "chaps" on chapel street. curious to try some of the nearby places mentioned. obviously, as others have mentioned, brueggers is god awful.

also, rockland county, ny is to bagels as new haven county, ct is to pizza. worth the trek! so many good spots.

Reaction Score
Sounds like RTP, I have a lot of fiends who have moved there and the #1 complaint is where to find, real, good pizza, and #2 is ditto for bagels (folks from Jersey also bemoan the lack of Taylor Ham/Pork Roll along with Crumbcake, preferably B&W). Of course, they have BBQ and typically live in a house that's 4x the size of what they had in Jersey for the same or less cost.

Every time I go back to CT I have to have pizza and bagels... They are a must!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The Wedge Inn in Stamford answers another question . . .

Weren't they somewhere else? They say they've been around for 40 years and I recall hearing the name. But I worked in 999 Summer St. from 85-93 and don't recall ever eating there even though it's right next door. I would've definitely tried the chili.

Reaction Score
Both Brueggers' and Einstein's bagels are rubbish; so bizarre for anyone to associate either with the words "Best Bagel", but someone even suggested the Dunk. Go figure!
Dunkin Donuts has the worst bagels. They used to be ok and passable, but they are so bad now. I'd rather get a sleeve of thomas' bagels and those suck too.

Reaction Score
Which reminds me, my biggest question about Michael Clayton that I've never found an answer to was: What the hell was Tom Wilkinson going to do with all those baguettes? And where is THAT bakery in NYC?

DYnZmKyVAAAUTPq.jpg
Makes me think of that Louis CK routine.

Reaction Score
Speaking of bread, sandwiches, etc. have you tried Bogies Hoagies yet? I found it to be a perfectly good Jersey deli sub, but sooo overrated. You can find just as good in any town (and pay with a credit card).

My kids' baseball teams had a lot of doubleheaders this summer due to the frequent, unrelenting thunderstorms. In between games, I would often drive or even walk over to Wilkes Deli (there are several in North Jersey) and as soon as I mentioned Wilkes, the other coaches would just stuff money in my hand and text me what they wanted.

Reaction Score

DYnZmKyVAAAUTPq.jpg
They look amazing. Does that exist in Ct?

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I haven't seen this mentioned, but Patty Cakes in Rocky Hill has very good bagels. They also make the best veggie cream cheese. Their breakfast sandwiches are very good.

Reaction Score
Weren't they somewhere else? They say they've been around for 40 years and I recall hearing the name. But I worked in 999 Summer St. from 85-93 and don't recall ever eating there even though it's right next door. I would've definitely tried the chili.

I feel like I ate there in the early 90s and had dairy queen afterward. Ofcourse I was young so might not have been the most observant. But pretty sure they have been around.

Reaction Score
I think their donuts are better than the bagels. Was actually disappointed with the bagel i had from there might have to try again
Dont bother. I had an onion bagel there this morning. Must have been another place i was thinking of. Donuts were pretty good.

Reaction Score
If you are going to Flanders Bakery you get donuts . Easily the best donuts in CT.

Try Beach Donuts in Clinton. They bought the recipe of the old Sound View Donut Shop in Old Lyme from back in the day but they didn’t perfect it IMO... the old Sound View donuts were unmatched and would melt in your mouth.

Reaction Score
Try Beach Donuts in Clinton. They bought the recipe of the old Sound View Donut Shop in Old Lyme from back in the day but they didn’t perfect it IMO... the old Sound View donuts were unmatched and would melt in your mouth.

Pastry fusions in north branford also makes really good donuts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom