OT: Best Bagel in CT | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Bagel in CT

Reaction Score
Kettle bagels in Southington and shefs in Cheshire are both better than fancey bagel. As a Southington resident I won't make any friends saying this.

Reaction Score
Costco has Einstein bagels ( acceptable) for $6 a dozen), can’t beat that. Stew Leonards has very good bagels priced well, you can take 13, and I compared them to one of the best supposed NYC bagels which were bigger not better but more than double the price. There is too much carb in these things so when i buy and freeze them I use them by halves. How many calories in a bagel and cream cheese?

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Costco has Einstein bagels ( acceptable) for $6 a dozen), can’t beat that. Stew Leonards has very good bagels priced well, you can take 13, and I compared them to one of the best supposed NYC bagels which were bigger not better but more than double the price. There is too much carb in these things so when i buy and freeze them I use them by halves. How many calories in a bagel and cream cheese?
Don’t ask questions you don’t want the answer to.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Am I the only one who doesn't much care about bagels? I'm half Italian and I've never understood the obsession with bread in general for that matter.

Lady Hans doesn't get the fuss about bagels or lobster rolls, but could eat pizza every night.
She compares all BBQ to what she grew up with in TX, and remains generally polite on the matter, finding more items & places she can like with each passing year. No wurprise, we're looking forward to the BBQ not pizza when we go to St Louis next month, though we will get fried ravioli.

While we're on & off subject here, for as long as I'm harvesting tomatoes, I'm on the hunt for the right baguette for my caprese sandwich, or toastable sliced bread for BLTs, though Chabasso ciabatta rolls on crazy discount at Ferraro's have worked for the latter.

Who's got the breads for my tomato basil, and mozzarella?

Wave Hill
Judi's
Pantry (simple, soft, skinny ficelle, somehow)
Isabella Y Vincent
Tom Cat (delivered from NYC)
Bread & Chocolate
Chabasso
SoNo Bakery

All get close for the right crunch & chew ratio, but none hit it out of the park.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Stew Leonard's may very well be the answer to the original question. They make a decent bagel.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Stew Leonard's may very well be the answer to the original question. They make a decent bagel.
...and decent might be a reasonable CT standard for home consumption of a toasted bagel.

I realize that I'm the outlier in wanting what's hot, with no toppings, as my first hit.

Kinda like a tomato pie from the right place.

Reaction Score
...and decent might be a reasonable CT standard for home consumption of a toasted bagel.

I realize that I'm the outlier in wanting what's hot, with no toppings, as my first hit.

A freshly made salt bagel with no toppings is the best soft pretzel I’ve ever had.

Reaction Score
Lady Hans doesn't get the fuss about bagels or lobster rolls, but could eat pizza every night.
She compares all BBQ to what she grew up with in TX, and remains generally polite on the matter, finding more items & places she can like with each passing year. No wurprise, we're looking forward to the BBQ not pizza when we go to St Louis next month, though we will get fried ravioli.

While we're on & off subject here, for as long as I'm harvesting tomatoes, I'm on the hunt for the right baguette for my caprese sandwich, or toastable sliced bread for BLTs, though Chabasso ciabatta rolls on crazy discount at Ferraro's have worked for the latter.

Wave Hill
Judi's
Isabella Y Vincent
Bread & Chocolate
Chabasso
SoNo Bakery

All get close for the right crunch & chew ratio, but none hit it out of the park.

Mrs. Guapo is similar.

When we first met her idea of having a "bagel" for breakfast was a Thomas Cinnamon Raisin "bagel" with something called honey walnut cream cheese.

I don't think she's ever admitted she was wrong to do this but she knows now that this behavior was deeply offensive to me and family's heritage.

She has excellent taste in BBQ though.

Reaction Score

Don’t worry Hans. Soup season is right around the corner.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Don’t worry Hans. Soup season is right around the corner.
After bacon season, it's corn & peaches, then apples & pears, big squash (yeah, some soup), sock season, baseball season, CWOS, colorful dying leaves, actual UConn basketball games, "the holidays," and football season . . . all of which precede soup season.

Reaction Score
I grew up in Stamford CT.. Many bagel shops. I now live in Richmond VA, much better BBQ down here, but their favorite bagels come from Panera and Einstein , not the same thing!!

Reaction Score
I grew up in Stamford CT.. Many bagel shops. I now live in Richmond VA, much better BBQ down here, but their favorite bagels come from Panera and Einstein , not the same thing!!

Richmond?

Sounds like you should change your name to UConnfanSVA

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hah, Białystok begs to differ as the original source of cebularz (aka biały in Yiddish and in the States). And, Poland in general, where biały are among the limited outstanding food items.
Anyone else thinking about this guy reading this?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Wave Hill
Judi's
Isabella Y Vincent
Bread & Chocolate
Chabasso
SoNo Bakery

I envy you.

I have a half dozen major supermarkets within 1.5 miles of my house. For the most part all of their baguettes suck. Best of the bunch is the sourdough at Whole Foods. Second best are the ciabatta rolls (which are shipped frozen) at Trader Joes.

Even our top bakeries don't do baguettes all that well. Something about soft crusts and Pittsburgh. Classic CT "hard rolls" don't exist and 99% of the pizza is undercooked.

However, I can get a box of 4 exceptionally good croissants at Fresh Market for $3.99. Go figure.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jersey has good bagels. Ramapo Valley bagels has a killer sandwich:

o.jpg

Ah, you feel the ol' arteries hardening just looking at it. Used to hit this place before AAU tournaments. Kept you going for a whole day of games.

That looks emotional

Reaction Score
I envy you.

I have a half dozen major supermarkets within 1.5 miles of my house. For the most part all of their baguettes suck. Best of the bunch is the sourdough at Whole Foods. Second best are the ciabatta rolls (which are shipped frozen) at Trader Joes.

Even our top bakeries don't do baguettes all that well. Something about soft crusts and Pittsburgh. Classic CT "hard rolls" don't exist and 99% of the pizza is undercooked.

Are there any good bagel places in Squirrel Hill?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Are there any good bagel places in Squirrel Hill?

You'd think there would be given it's the traditional Jewish neighborhood. But the lone bakery there (Allegro Hearth) isn't kosher and doesn't even make them. The only true deli closed three years ago. I have not tried them, but I've heard that the mini-bagels served at NU Kosher's "nosh table" are actually the best in Squirrel Hill.

For bagels around here, I stick to Mediterra Bakehouse, which supplies a lot of places. It's a NYC water bagel process and close enough for rock n roll. There's also a stand in Bloomfield Market on weekends called Pigeon Bagels with does an odd NYC/Montreal/sourdough hybrid bagel that's quite good. Other than that, it's the standard soft Bruegger's/Panera/Einsteins stuff.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
If you are going to Flanders Bakery you get donuts . Easily the best donuts in CT.

Now that’s a thread I want to see...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom