OT: Aussie Open | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Aussie Open

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
But who'd have thought Coco? It is so good to see Venus relatively healthy and playing with such confidence. Confidence and pace. She looks crazy fit too.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I will only be able to see snatches of M St/SC, because Venus is playing at 7 also (Tennis Channel).
Conflict-free is CoCo on Espn 2, no sooner than 9pm.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Well, CoCo & Serena want to make it 3 Americans in the semis. Venus has not had a worthy opponent until now, meeting Anastasia
Pavlyuchenkova after 3 previous qualifiers. Venus played steady, without long stretches of unforced errors and only one double fault. She
came through 6-4, 7-6 Though Ana hits hard, she did not take much advantage of Venus' 2nd serve. Contrast that with Venus' return, holding Ana to a tad under 35%.
Which may have been a factor in Ana going for too much on 2nd serves, committing 8 doubles.
Venus attacked the net well, winning an excellent %age too.
Venus does not have an exemplary record at the Aussie, making 1 final, losing to Lil Sis. She hasn't made the semis since 2003, which you could tell, cause she was positively giddy, almost like she just won the whole tourney.
The old lady has every reason to feel proud. Announcers said you have to go back to 1982 before you find someone's Venus age in the semis.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, CoCo obliterated her competion Garbine Muguruza 6-4, 6-0,

Her power was incredible and if she plays like she did today, I do not see Venus having a chance which I am a little bummed at since I really like and appreciate all Venus has gone through. A real class person. A Serena - Venus final would be incredible.

In addition, I am not a fan of CoCo's post game interviews on court. Even if she has complete confidence like DT, a little humility would be nice.

Ex. Question 1. CoCo. This must be the best game you ever played. How do you feel?

Answer. Actually no, I actually felt like crap (maybe paraphrasing a little) :mad::mad:

Did not get to question 2 since I turned the channel. :(:(

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Just seeing Venus play well is enough for me.
I feel the same way about Serena
espnw_g_serena-williams_mb_800x450.jpg

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
This Aussie is an old age home. When have so many been competing while well into their 30's--Venus, Mirjana, Roger, Serena.
The women's quarters are up first tonight, 7pm on Tennis Channel, Serena at 9 on ESPN.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Coco is very confident and has attitude, which I like. She said what the thought about her performance instead of giving the some ole hum drum answers that every player has learned to give. I love that we have another American in the mix and I have been waiting for her to get to this point for a while as I have thought for a few years that she would break through.

Get used to her because she is going to be around for a while.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
American Coco Vandeweghe just blew away #1 Angelique Kerber 6-2 6-3.

She is also very CONFIDENT :cool::cool::cool:. Her reaction after winning was basically

"of course what do you expect"

The most BOSS reaction ever to upsetting the #1 seed:

17420048_h400.jpg

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Coco is very confident and has attitude, which I like. She said what the thought about her performance instead of giving the some ole hum drum answers that every player has learned to give. I love that we have another American in the mix and I have been waiting for her to get to this point for a while as I have thought for a few years that she would break through.

Yes. I love her game and confidence on the court. However, I am personally not a fan of in your face stuff off the court. Just me.

Will happily watch her (she is great) and root for her in the future (after the Venus Game) but turn the sound off during the interview now that I am aware.

JordyG

Reaction Score
As much as I love and have loved the Williams sisters over the years, this Open is clearly Vandeweghe's coming out party. It really is about time another American emerged as a real contender for majors. As for her on court interview, I have no problem with anything she said.

JordyG

Reaction Score
As for Muguruza. I believe she said the same expletive after every missed shot. I'd rather Coco's off court behavior than Muguruza's on court.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
As for Muguruza. I believe she said the same expletive after every missed shot. I'd rather Coco's off court behavior than Muguruza's on court.

If I am getting blitzed and every shot my opponent hit was either an outright winner or on the line, I might be cursing as well although I did not really see that. Mainly, Muguruza looked up incredulous to the sky after one amazing shot after another. Anyhow, no real reason for bravado once you are off the court. Just me.

JordyG

Reaction Score
If I am getting blitzed and every shot my opponent hit was either an outright winner or on the line, I might be cursing as well although I did not really see that. Mainly, Muguruza looked up incredulous to the sky after one amazing shot after another. Anyhow, no real reason for bravado once you are off the court. Just me.
Actually her f-bombs started from the first miss in the first game. It wasn't because she was getting freight trained. But to her credit at least she was consistent.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I agree that Coco's on court interview was a bit brash, but she had just beaten another top 10 player and was feeling invincible at that moment. Not everyone can immediately turn of that competitiveness after they are on the court thrashing a very good opponent. She was in the moment...I give her a pass. She felt like she belonged in that moment. The interviewers also ask the same dumb questions after a match. So what, she said it wasn't her best tennis she's ever played and went on to explain that by saying that she said it because she missed so many break point chances. She described the match exactly as I saw it, a freight train that couldn't be stopped, I think she said.

At least she didn't pop her jersey...I mean tennis outfit.

I am super excited to have another American who can win slams. I had been wondering who would step up when the Williams sisters retire and I think Coco is the one. She has a big game and a lot of self confidence.

Listen to Roger Federer sometime. He can certainly praise himself a lot, he just does it with a softer tone.

Reaction Score

While we certainly hope so, what, in your opinion, separates Ms Vandeweghe from all the other American hopefuls who have come and have gone away just as quickly?

It is more than obvious that the Williams sisters are supremely talented tennis players who have long exceeded the test of time. Yet Richard Williams seems a mere after thought. One would think he would have been offered any number of positions in the tennis world training and preparing young tennis players.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
This Aussie is an old age home. When have so many been competing while well into their 30's--Venus, Mirjana, Roger, Serena.
The women's quarters are up first tonight, 7pm on Tennis Channel, Serena at 9 on ESPN.

More about the Aussie this year as an old age home, with the line up for the women's semis and some video of Venus QF.

Age is just a number for final four women

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom