OT: Aussie Open | The Boneyard

OT: Aussie Open

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Venus, citing elbow problems, needs the rest, so the Sisters have withdrawn from doubles. In singles Serena plays on this day4
vs. Lucie Safarova.
Venus' next foe is named Ling Ling, so I guess she's a Giant Panda.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I heard Venus went fishing this morning

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
What an epic and drama-filled 5th set between Kyrgios and Seppi.

Kyrgios's tweener when he was down 5-6 will be the most scrutinized single shot of the first week of the tournament.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
SHOCKER! When 4th ranked Simona Halep went down in the 1st round, the world didn't wobble. After all she was bounced last year, also in the 1st match. But now the tourney has lost Novak, losing to unranked, but experienced, Denis Istomin in 5 sets. No chance now that he could regain #1 from Murray anytime soon.

Meanwhile Serena is through in straight sets.
Also with early exit is #3 Radwanska.

About the top American man John Isner, The Eagles sing he's ALREADY GONE. But Jack Sock is still battling, but he gets (shiver)
Tsonga next.

Here's your day 5 schedule, starting at 7pm on Tennis Channel.
Schedule of Play - Schedule - Australian Open Tennis Championships 2016 - Official Site by IBM

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
About the top American man John Isner, The Eagles sing he's ALREADY GONE. But Jack Sock is still battling, but he gets (shiver) Tsonga next.

I hate to say it, but Isner has been a big disappointment, as far as Grand Slams are concerned. He first reached the Top 30 in 2010. Each year, he is seeded, many times in the Top 20 (and a few in the Top 10). But he will always have long, extended five set matches with players whom he should be defeating with ease.

Since first reaching the Top 30 in 2010 and getting seeded, he has played 27 Grand Slam tournaments. He has made the quarterfinals once (2011 US Open, as I recall). He has made it past the 3rd round a total of four times.

For someone with his physical gifts (height) and his booming serve, he *should* be, in my career, a bigger threat in the biggest tournaments. But he has not been.

Reaction Score
SHOCKER! When 4th ranked Simona Halep went down in the 1st round, the world didn't wobble. After all she was bounced last year, also in the 1st match. But now the tourney has lost Novak, losing to unranked, but experienced, Denis Istomin in 5 sets. No chance now that he could regain #1 from Murray anytime soon.

whats your take on Novak's 'tailspin'....and more importantly, his new Guru guy.

Reaction Score
one american in the men's third round of singles/ 6 women through....sad state of mens tennis in the USA....makes one yearn for the Conners/McEnroe and Sampras/Agassie days

Reaction Score
I hate to say it, but Isner has been a big disappointment, as far as Grand Slams are concerned. He first reached the Top 30 in 2010. Each year, he is seeded, many times in the Top 20 (and a few in the Top 10). But he will always have long, extended five set matches with players whom he should be defeating with ease.

Since first reaching the Top 30 in 2010 and getting seeded, he has played 27 Grand Slam tournaments. He has made the quarterfinals once (2011 US Open, as I recall). He has made it past the 3rd round a total of four times.

For someone with his physical gifts (height) and his booming serve, he *should* be, in my career, a bigger threat in the biggest tournaments. But he has not been.
He does have gifts, but he's not fast. He lumbers and he doesn't have great reaction time.

meanwhile with Djokovic out, we are entering the dreary world of Andy Murray as #1. Men's tennis hasn't been this boring to me since the even drearier days of Ivan Lendl.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I awoke from an early evening nap to find 2 old ladies, Kuznetsova and Jankowicz beginning an overtime battle, which Svet won at 9-7.
Meanwhile Coco has a fine victory over Canadian Eugenie Bouchard, whose fortunes have declined over the last 2 years.
Jack Sock is giving his all, though dropped the 1st vs Tsonga at 5-7. Jack has just been broken in set 2, so Jo Willy held for a 2 set lead.
On this court Venus will appear afterwards.
Andy Murray is just beginning his match vs our own Sam Querry.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
one american in the men's third round of singles/ 6 women through....sad state of mens tennis in the USA....makes one yearn for the Conners/McEnroe and Sampras/Agassie days

Yep, and the lasr 2 American hombres are vamanos(that's not the right form, but you get the idea.
VENUS HAS JUST BEGUN.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
The 87th ranked Chinese could not handle Venus' power. Venus moved well & played well, 6-1, 6-0.
Good night all.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I didn't stay up to watch the match, but I'm thrilled to see Roger was in fine form in his win over Berdych. Hopefully he continues onward and upward.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
who the heck is Jennifer Brady?!?!

She won vs #14 Vesnina only because she had the Brady Bunch rooting for her. She joins Coco and The Sisters in the round of 16.
Meanwhile Lil Sis rolled, losing only 4 games.
Rafa showed he was fit in a 5-setter, winning the last 2 sets fairly easily.

For several years Spaniard David Ferrer would sit right behind the Big4, seeded 5 or 6 in many matches. Never won a Major
but was pretty sure to be in the quarters. He's been fading and knocked out now in the 3rd round., winning only 4 games.

Former #1 The Woz is not back in form yet, blasted by Germany's Johanna Konta.

And if you are awake and moving, you could tune in for #5 Karolina Pliskova. The same-height-as-Venus-and-Napheesa
slender Czech has a wicked serve.

Since Roger is on the comeback trail he's only ranked 17 and will face Kei Nishikori Sunday 3 am EST, followed by a huge test for our Coco, taking on #1 Kerber.

Had #4 Halep not been bounced, Venus would be facing her next, so instead she gets an unseeded foe. I'll be watching about 9 tonight.

Reaction Score
She won vs #14 Vesnina only because she had the Brady Bunch rooting for her. She joins Coco and The Sisters in the round of 16.
Meanwhile Lil Sis rolled, losing only 4 games.
Rafa showed he was fit in a 5-setter, winning the last 2 sets fairly easily.

For several years Spaniard David Ferrer would sit right behind the Big4, seeded 5 or 6 in many matches. Never won a Major
but was pretty sure to be in the quarters. He's been fading and knocked out now in the 3rd round., winning only 4 games.

Former #1 The Woz is not back in form yet, blasted by Germany's Johanna Konta.

And if you are awake and moving, you could tune in for #5 Karolina Pliskova. The same-height-as-Venus-and-Napheesa
slender Czech has a wicked serve.

Since Roger is on the comeback trail he's only ranked 17 and will face Kei Nishikori Sunday 3 am EST, followed by a huge test for our Coco, taking on #1 Kerber.

Had #4 Halep not been bounced, Venus would be facing her next, so instead she gets an unseeded foe. I'll be watching about 9 tonight.

Konta was born is Australia, but plays for Great Britain not Germany.

Reaction Score
Venus, citing elbow problems, needs the rest, so the Sisters have withdrawn from doubles. In singles Serena plays on this day4
vs. Lucie Safarova.
Venus' next foe is named Ling Ling, so I guess she's a Giant Panda.
I had no idea pandas even played tennis, let alone were any good at it. Good for them.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
American Coco Vandeweghe just blew away #1 Angelique Kerber 6-2 6-3.

She has a very powerful game and it seems she is finally getting in elite shape and controlling her power.

Her blood lines also include Kiki Vandeweghe

She is also very CONFIDENT :cool::cool::cool:. Her reaction after winning was basically

"of course what do you expect"

Very UConn like. Fun to watch.

She is in Venus's Bracket and if they both win, they meet in the Semi's :D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And Andy Murray has gone down! :):):)

It's wide open for Roger!!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
And Andy Murray has gone down! :):):)

It's wide open for Roger!!

I am actually luke warm on this. I like Andy. He is very classy. His post game press conference was all class. It cant be easy losing to a journey man.

Still, I would enjoy seeing roger win at age 35. Pretty cool.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom