OT: August teaches you how to eat again | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: August teaches you how to eat again

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Hmmm. White Tower........also known as "White Dungeon" and "Tomain Tower" in NYC. Had these counters which faced the street with large picture windows so one could look out at the street (why would anyone want eat and do that in NYC?). Favorite memory of this establishment nearby to a college was when a hammered student jumped up on the counter at about 2 in the morning, dropped trou facing the street and "pressed ham" with a little too much force and shattered the picture window to the shock and (to some) apparent delight of the onlookers. Brings back the memory every time I hear or see the name. Thanks for the post!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Unlike much else on The Boneyard, no personal criticisms are intended here.

Last night, after an art opening at Institute Library, Lady Hans & I walked over to Beer Collective for a very favorable recon, though we only engaged in conversation with other New Haven Bike Month people and tried a good couple of fries. My idea was to pick up a falafel wrap from Mediterannea because she was parked across the street and I'd followed this thread.

Though we were in good humor about it, the wait was notably long because there was only one guy working the entire place. I could see him meticulously laying out the ingredients on plates for the orders that preceded ours, and he acted with care. We took in the hookah smells, considered the circumstance a quirky part of out date night, and it was relaxingly divey in a good way.

The falafel wrap was prepared (to go) with no sauce whatsoever (none was asked or offered) and was dry and undistinguished in every way imaginable, including a paucity of falafel and tomato. It was more lettuce than anything else. It was really surprising how little there was to it, like something I'd get at an all white suburban place where someone might reasonably question me, "Well, what did you expect? You don't get a falafel there."

I've had many good falafels from carts in NYC, throughout Queens, Persian places in Great Neck, and have enjoyed Mamoun's and the Middle Eastern place in West Haven near UNH.

Based on this experience, without the recommendations from usually good sources, I would never return here. It was that plain. Not bad, just "no there there." Did I just get a dud last night? Should I give it another try?
No idea what to tell you except sorry you had a bad experience in a place you visited based on my recommendation. I've eaten there probably between 50 and 100 times, but 95% of the time I get the fool muddammas, not the falafel, because I love the fool muddammas. I like falafel but I don't eat it nearly as frequently. I've had it at Mediterranea maybe ten times tops and never had a bad one, but they have varied depending on the maker. But several others I know who get falafel frequently really like theirs. On that note, all my visits there except one (the one about which you read) have been for lunch. I've never been in there when the night hookah business is the primary feature.

I'm not going to encourage another try for you (although I will be there next week for sure), but if you do, I would say to go during the day and not at night.

I'd say I was shocked, but I've had people tell me they had bad experiences at Modern Apizza after I've recommended it, so nothing really surprises me on that score any more.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
A couple slices of pizza left at home by the fam. Adequate, enjoyable.

You said you didn't want pizza.
But then you discovered one of the great truths of the culinary universe as we know it"
Time.
Appetite.
There is always enough of each for pizza.
And for bacon.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You said you didn't want pizza.
But then you discovered one of the great truths of the culinary universe as we know it"
Time.
Appetite.
There is always enough of each for pizza.
And for bacon.
CO-SIGN.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom