OT: August teaches you how to eat again | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: August teaches you how to eat again

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
From the black hole of single life (while Lady Hans attends to aging parents in a location where she swears she locked eyes with two men in white robes w/head-coverings that revealed only eyes), I have indulged a curiosity that began with Chik Fil-a nuggets & waffle fries and proceeded on to an 4 Chicken McNuggets order last night. Today, I stopped for 10 Burger King nuggets on sale for $1.49, and I write these words afterveating a 4 for $4 Wendy's meal that included my first encounter with a make-your-own soda machine. I found the soda easier to operate than a Mohegan Sun slot the one time I tried that.

Chik Fil-a food tasted best, and I'll skip the stuffing for now.

How are your sh~ts?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
How are your sh~ts?

"Too small a sample size to answer..."
but my final distraction on the way home is 4 hot wings from newly opened Off the Hook in former Cast Iron Skillet location on Dixwell in Hamden. That should do it.

NB: I made this choice because I got impatient waiting for 8893's next check-in as to Halal Guys, falafel or other. Let that be a lesson...to somebody.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Green pea soup with country ham and toast at Beer Collective. Excellent.

Falafel wrap from Mediterranea. Exactly as hoped.

A couple slices of pizza left at home by the fam. Adequate, enjoyable.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Just saw this on Colbert.

From Taco Smell:

tb2017-naked-chicken-chalupa.jpg

Taco Bell® Exposes the Naked Chicken Chalupa

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
15 years ago I used to work out of Guilford and go to the madison zhangs a lot. It was quite good. Now I live closer to the one in Saybrook and went there a couple times and it was more than terrible. Ended up at the madison one again and while it didnt reach the depths of saybrooks hell, it was nowhere near the level it was years ago. Sad. QUOTE]

Agree. There really aren't great choices in this area for Chinese. I'll have to try Ayuthai.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Maybe the most overrated sandwich there is.

Yep. Which is exactly why I posted it.

Designed in the 1940s for truckers to be able to eat one-handed while driving. The bread is insipid, the standard commercial fries get soggy inside the sandwich, and the vinegary cole slaw taste permeates everything else.

Although I can attest to validity that adding a fried egg on top improves this hot mess.

Reaction Score

Designed in the 1940s for truckers to be able to eat one-handed while driving. The bread is insipid, the standard commercial fries get soggy inside the sandwich, and the vinegary cole slaw taste permeates everything else.

Although I can attest to validity that adding a fried egg on top improves this hot mess.

Let me revise my statement. Maybe the most overrated sandwich behind the Genos cheesesteak.

Primantis entire hook is summed up by this one statement, "but it has French fries...ON the sandwich!" Big deal. It's a starchy nuisance.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Let me revise my statement. Maybe the most overrated sandwich behind the Genos cheesesteak.

Primantis entire hook is summed up by this one statement, "but it has French fries...ON the sandwich!" Big deal. It's a starchy nuisance.
Genos is horrible

Reaction Score
Why would anyone step foot in Geno's when there are so many other great options?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Just saw this on Colbert.

From Taco Smell:

tb2017-naked-chicken-chalupa.jpg

Taco Bell® Exposes the Naked Chicken Chalupa
So you're saying that after 4 small undistinguished wings from Off the Hook ($7, nice folks, working out newly opened kinks) and 6 smaller less distinguished wings from Harold's (near SCSU, $5.50 tax included, nice folks) I might not be done with this dangerous experiment but I've got 2 weeks to get ready? I don't know if I've even been to Taco Bell, certainly not in this millennium, definitely not more than once or twice if so.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So obviously Ayuthai is Thai, not Chinese. Taste of China is probably the best Chinese option.

But Ayuthai is good for Thai. Better than Som Siam imo. They also have live jazz on Sunday nights. It gets crowded for eat in so arrive early, but my favorite is to get takeout for the family and not order it until I am there. If I time it right I can grab a pop or two at the bar and enjoy the music while waiting for the food.

Reaction Score
Why would anyone step foot in Geno's when there are so many other great options?

I spent a lot of time in Philly over a few years and tried as many spots as I could. Jim's was my favorite. Of course, that doesn't count the roast pork sandwich.

August_West

Reaction Score

Hot sauce is the key

August_West

Reaction Score
I spent a lot of time in Philly over a few years and tried as many spots as I could. Jim's was my favorite. Of course, that doesn't count the roast pork sandwich.

Jims never disappoints D'allesandros is a good one

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I love Tikkaway thats a really good call. Halal guys is decent not as good as the original city Truck but pretty good.
If falafel is one of your options why not Mamouns? Its not the greatest Falafel but it is the greatest hot sauce. You cant go wrong with the shawarma there either
Ugh, I went to Tikkaway once and explicitly told the guy I couldn't eat anything with almonds or nuts, and had an allergic reaction anyway.

August_West

Reaction Score
If you have to cover something with hot sauce to make it palatable, you know it's bad food.

Besides, the classic Primantis is hot capicola. You just don't put hot sauce on cappy. You just don't.

Tell that to the lady who runs primantis

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Love Mamoun's and have for decades but Mediterranea falafel is better imo (and their fool muddammas is my go-to; great, great dish) and much closer to me.

I will try Aladdin falafel again. It's been years and it was always late at night and messy, but good. Have you had the falafel from Mediterranea? Pitaziki is okay but not great imo.

Unlike much else on The Boneyard, no personal criticisms are intended here.

Last night, after an art opening at Institute Library, Lady Hans & I walked over to Beer Collective for a very favorable recon, though we only engaged in conversation with other New Haven Bike Month people and tried a good couple of fries. My idea was to pick up a falafel wrap from Mediterannea because she was parked across the street and I'd followed this thread.

Though we were in good humor about it, the wait was notably long because there was only one guy working the entire place. I could see him meticulously laying out the ingredients on plates for the orders that preceded ours, and he acted with care. We took in the hookah smells, considered the circumstance a quirky part of out date night, and it was relaxingly divey in a good way.

The falafel wrap was prepared (to go) with no sauce whatsoever (none was asked or offered) and was dry and undistinguished in every way imaginable, including a paucity of falafel and tomato. It was more lettuce than anything else. It was really surprising how little there was to it, like something I'd get at an all white suburban place where someone might reasonably question me, "Well, what did you expect? You don't get a falafel there."

I've had many good falafels from carts in NYC, throughout Queens, Persian places in Great Neck, and have enjoyed Mamoun's and the Middle Eastern place in West Haven near UNH.

Based on this experience, without the recommendations from usually good sources, I would never return here. It was that plain. Not bad, just "no there there." Did I just get a dud last night? Should I give it another try?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom