OT: A Brief Break in the Action. Let's identify cities. . . | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: A Brief Break in the Action. Let's identify cities. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
New HAY-ven by normal people, NEW Haven by others.

Boca RaTAHN by normal people, Boca RaTOWN by rednecks
I was going to say New Haven. You can always tell when the TV reporters are from out of state; just by the way they pronounce it.

Reaction Score
My sister used to live close to a Maine town called CALAIS. Now I would pronounce that Kal - lay as I believe its' French origin would dictate. But the alternate choice is Callas, like the old comedian Charlie. When you start dealing with the Boston area and northern New England, all bets are off.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
How about Loo-uh-ville, not Louie-ville.
I was twice stationed at Fort Bragg, close by FATE-ville. And in consultation with my wife (who lived there) and her family (who still do), I'll stick with "Tronna." :mad:

Reaction Score
Bourne, MA - Correctly pronounced by New Englanders as "born".

Melbourne, FL - Incorrectly pronounced by the local Florida TV news and weather reporters as "mel-burn". How the heck do you get "burn" from "bourne"?

I'm a CT transplant and relatively new to Florida, so if there any Floridians that can justify this ridiculous pronunciation, please post a response.

Last edited:

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
Greenwich, NY is pronounced GREEN-witch by the locals, not GREN-ich.

Beaufort, NC is pronounced BO-fert. But Beaufort, SC is BYOO-fert. Or is it the other way around??!

All this reminds me of an address in our state by a distinguished English gentleman who was appalled by the local pronunciation of the THAMES.

Reaction Score

Melbourne, FL - Incorrectly pronounced by the local Florida TV news and weather reporters as "mel-burn". How the heck do you get "burn" from "bourne"?

I'm a CT transplant and relatively new to Florida, so if there any Floridians that can justify this ridiculous pronunciation, please post a response.

Reaction Score
Madrid, NM, in between Sante Fe and Albuquerque, is often mistakenly pronounced Muh drid' (emphasis on the second syllable) like the city in Spain, but the locals pronounce it Maah' drid (emphasis on the first syllable).
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Kissimee, FL is another one. Kiss SIM' ee (emphasis on second syllable) is the proper way.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Surprised that no one has mentioned Die less Texas. Or Refurio. There is a great story about Refugio. A couple is driving through South Texas for the first time and they see this sign that says "Refugio 5 mi." and get into a friendly discussion about what the correct pronunciation of the name is. H opts for Anglization; Refu ji o, while she maintains that, this being a heavily Hispanic region, the Spanish pronunciation is correct. They decide to settle the argument by stopping for coffee and asking a local. They do, and when the waitress comes to their table they ask her; "Pardon me miss, but to settle an argument, would you please tell us very slowly and distinctly how the name of this place is pronounced?" And very slowly and distinctly she replies; "Chure. Day ree kween." (Rim shot, please.)

And, as above, the locals actually call it something very like Re foo ree o.

Reaction Score

I'll be moving to that part of FLorida next year. I think it's a slurred way of saying it. Kind of like the way some Rhode Islanders say Warwick, the second-largest city in the state: Warrick.

Reaction Score

Beaufort, NC is pronounced BO-fert. But Beaufort, SC is BYOO-fert. Or is it the other way around??!

All this reminds me of an address in our state by a distinguished English gentleman who was appalled by the local pronunciation of the THAMES.
That's really interesting. I used to work with some people from Greenwich and they always said "Gren-itch." Meanwhile, I grew up on Green-Witch Street, but that was in Springfield, MA, where I guess we just didn't know how to say it.

Reaction Score

That's really interesting. I used to work with some people from Greenwich and they always said "Gren-itch." Meanwhile, I grew up on Green-Witch Street, but that was in Springfield, MA, where I guess we just didn't know how to say it.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I know it's not a town, but indulge me, please. Houston Street in NYC is pronounced HOW-ston Street. :rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Greenwich, CT is definitely Gren-itch. But if you live there, you have enough money to pronounce it any way you want.

I grew up in the Devon (Dev-on) section of Milford. The Main Line town outside of Philly with the same spelling is Dev-in.

The home to UDel is New-ark (accent on the 2nd syllable), whereas the New Jersey city is New-erk (accent on the first).

The non-Spanish pronunciation of Paso Robles, CA is Passo Row-bulls.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I know it's not a town, but indulge me, please. Houston Street in NYC is pronounced HOW-ston Street. :rolleyes:
I've finally learned that one, but I still think it's odd.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Some seemingly odd State pronunciations:

Oregon = Organ

Missouri = Missoura

Nevada = Ne-VAD-a (not Nev-AH-da)

Hawaii = Ha-vai-ee

Reaction Score
. . . whose names are pronounced one way by outsiders bu differently by natives. Let me start with a few examples:
- Quincy, Mass., is Quin-zee (to residents), not Quint-cee (as most of us say it).
- Worcester, Mass., is something like WISS-tah.
- Toronto, Ontario, is called "Tronna" up north.
- Out in Dakota, Pierre is pronounced "Peer" (to rhyme with "beer").​

OK, 'Yarders, your turn. Add a few (but stay in North America, please. :)
I thought it was Warchester to CT natives.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
How did the city Des Moines get its pronunciation?

Of course the main thing here in Maryland is ˈmɛrɨlənd not Mary-land. (a state and not a city)
Des Moines is, I believe, pronounced as it would be in French. Additionally, regardless of how it is pronounced locally, I know a number of folk (of French decent) who prefer Baton Rouge to be pronounced in French.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
Came from the natives of the Ohio region---Miami, Irioquois sold the Miami territory to the British when the Miami wouldn't sell it.
Cincinnati and Cincinnatah, don't know why but most older residents use the second pronunciation.

Reaction Score
Uconnrick said:
Cincinnati and Cincinnatah, don't know why but most older residents use the second pronunciation.

I think that it's not peoples' age, but depends on which part of the city they live in.

In Maine, we have the town of Calais -- I.e., "callous"

also, the city of Saco -- "socko"

And the city of Bangor, which is pronounced as it appears, rather than as "Banga"

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Well, the QU in French is never kwa, as in kwa-BEK. It's always Kuh, as in kuh-BEK. And the accent is always on the last syllable. And speaking of Canadian, I am of Canadian heritage and my wife is a Canadian citizen, and I have never even once heard anyone call Toronto "Tronna." Just sayin'.

Meanwhile, Rhode Island has a couple of interesting ones: Woonsocket, which they call one-SOCK-et. And the beach village of Quonochontaug, pronounced QUON -uh --kuh - TOG
And one in Connecticut that has come up before on this board: Wequetequock, a village in Stonington (and home to comedienne Ruth Buzzi), pronounced wickety-QUOCK.

Actually, I think Rhode Island has its' own language all together, from West'lee to Wawwuck, Addleburra to Fauh Rivvuh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom