OT: A Brief Break in the Action. Let's identify cities. . . | The Boneyard

OT: A Brief Break in the Action. Let's identify cities. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
. . . whose names are pronounced one way by outsiders bu differently by natives. Let me start with a few examples:
- Quincy, Mass., is Quin-zee (to residents), not Quint-cee (as most of us say it).
- Worcester, Mass., is something like WISS-tah.
- Toronto, Ontario, is called "Tronna" up north.
- Out in Dakota, Pierre is pronounced "Peer" (to rhyme with "beer").​

OK, 'Yarders, your turn. Add a few (but stay in North America, please. :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Boston, MA is Bah-ston by locals, and Boss-ton by normal people.
Norfolk, VA is Nor- by locals and Nor-folk by normal people
Suffolk, VA same way as Norfolk.
New Orleans, LA is Naw-lins to some locals, and New Orleens to most folks.

Illinois is pronounced Ill-i-noy by Illini, and Ill-i-noise by the rest of the idiots (world).

Reaction Score
Amherst MA is pronounced Amerst by locals.
Dekalb Co Georgia is De-Kab.
Not to mention New Bri-ain or Berlin (rhymes with Merlin), CT

Reaction Score
Lancaster, Pa.

Laancaster, Pa. by outsiders
Langcaster, Pa. by Langcasterians

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Mass seems to be the leader in this area.

My submission is Holyoke, which is pronounced by outsiders as Holy-oak and locals as Hole-yoke.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
New HAY-ven by normal people, NEW Haven by others.

Boca RaTAHN by normal people, Boca RaTOWN by rednecks

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
My favorite. Leominster, Mass. LEM-inster.
And north f Augusta, Ga., is a town that locals call "Mar-ti-NEZ."

Reaction Score
. . . whose names are pronounced one way by outsiders bu differently by natives. Let me start with a few examples:
- Quincy, Mass., is Quin-zee (to residents), not Quint-cee (as most of us say it).
- Worcester, Mass., is something like WISS-tah.
- Toronto, Ontario, is called "Tronna" up north.
- Out in Dakota, Pierre is pronounced "Peer" (to rhyme with "beer").​

OK, 'Yarders, your turn. Add a few (but stay in North America, please. :)
Anyone who listened to Bob Steele's word for the day--usually a word mispronounced by and announcer --learned to the names as Locals said them. New Orleans --Naw lins (per Meyers7 and Bob).
OK now pronounce Quebec as the Quebecois pronounce it.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Amherst MA is pronounced Amerst by locals.
Dekalb Co Georgia is De-Kab.
Not to mention New Bri-ain or Berlin (rhymes with Merlin), CT

Wisconsin also has a Berlin (rhymes with Merlin).

The one that always got me was Chili, NY (pronounced Chi-Li with two long is NOT like the delicious stew).

Pearland, TX (home of Brianna Turner) tripped me up because it's pronounced just like it looks: Pear Land. Indeed it was named after the fruit. I was trying to be all clever with Peer-land or Pearl-and and felt really dumb when my Houston friend corrected me.

Reaction Score
Cheshire ----not chee shire Chess-shear
Staunton, Va------Stanton (as the locals call it)
Mauzy, Va--- Not Mau zeey but Moe zeeeeey--
Toad Suck Arkansas----yea, it's Toad Suck Arkansas (just had to throw that in)

My submission is Holyoke, which is pronounced by outsiders as Holy-oak and locals as Hole-yoke.

Reaction Score

My Civics teacher (100 years ago) from Ho yoke (ignored the L) and made a point of teaching us the proper way to say it--.
Cairo, NY is pronounced CA-ro.
Ka roe like the syrup is Cairo, Ill.
Bruk lyn--Brooklyn Ny

Reaction Score
Florence to non-Italians, Firenze to Italians

"New Bri-in" to New Britainites and many other CT natives, regardless of whether they use a "New Bri-in" accent on any other words. New Britain for everyone else.

Reaction Score
Boston, MA is Bah-ston by locals, and Boss-ton by normal people.
Norfolk, VA is Nor- by locals and Nor-folk by normal people
Suffolk, VA same way as Norfolk.
New Orleans, LA is Naw-lins to some locals, and New Orleens to most folks.

Illinois is pronounced Ill-i-noy by Illini, and Ill-i-noise by the rest of the idiots (world).
Sorry, but Naw-lins is a media confection of the proper pronunciation that you'd NEVER hear from a local. 'Tis New-Awlins, with a slight inflection of an "r" where that "w" is.

Reaction Score
Anyone who listened to Bob Steele's word for the day--usually a word mispronounced by and announcer --learned to the names as Locals said them. New Orleans --Naw lins (per Meyers7 and Bob).
Well, the QU in French is never kwa, as in kwa-BEK. It's always Kuh, as in kuh-BEK. And the accent is always on the last syllable. And speaking of Canadian, I am of Canadian heritage and my wife is a Canadian citizen, and I have never even once heard anyone call Toronto "Tronna." Just sayin'.

Meanwhile, Rhode Island has a couple of interesting ones: Woonsocket, which they call one-SOCK-et. And the beach village of Quonochontaug, pronounced QUON -uh --kuh - TOG
And one in Connecticut that has come up before on this board: Wequetequock, a village in Stonington (and home to comedienne Ruth Buzzi), pronounced wickety-QUOCK.

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score

Try Kay-bek
Also, how about Mownrayall, Kay-bek?

Nobody has mentioned Ballmer, MD

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
BTW- I was born and raised in Kitreh, Maine right next to Yok and just south of Elyut.
On the back road to Yok, you pass through Braybohabah (Brave Boat Harbor)

Reaction Score
How could everyone forget "Bah Hah-bah," in Maine.:D
How about quin ipy yak It must be said fast or it comes out another word.
Well, the QU in French is never kwa, as in kwa-BEK. It's always Kuh, as in kuh-BEK. And the accent is always on the last syllable. And speaking of Canadian, I am of Canadian heritage and my wife is a Canadian citizen, and I have never even once heard anyone call Toronto "Tronna." Just sayin'.

Meanwhile, Rhode Island has a couple of interesting ones: Woonsocket, which they call one-SOCK-et. And the beach village of Quonochontaug, pronounced QUON -uh --kuh - TOG
And one in Connecticut that has come up before on this board: Wequetequock, a village in Stonington (and home to comedienne Ruth Buzzi), pronounced wickety-QUOCK.
I have 2000000 relatives across Canada , most in Quebec, Prov, and I've never heard Toronto pronounced thus-ly.
You win the Canadian silver dollar for proper Ka beck. My first relative arrived in about 1660 an indentured servant type--carpenter, loom maker, etc. Next two were (1) a member of the regiment (2) a Fils du Roi (in 1664.5) One earlier in Port Royal.
Was stationed in NAAS Charlestown, RI and know both places as well as Ruth Buzzi's home near the Swan pond. However Ruth as I recall pronounced the name Wickety Wawk. Maybe for joke effect.
My grand son who speaks Paris French tells me all my French relatives don't speak French

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How did the city Des Moines get its pronunciation?

Of course the main thing here in Maryland is ˈmɛrɨlənd not Mary-land. (a state and not a city)

Reaction Score
My-am-ee and My-am-ah
Came from the natives of the Ohio region---Miami, Irioquois sold the Miami territory to the British when the Miami wouldn't sell it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My-am-ee and My-am-ah
.... life goes on, bra,
la la how the life goes on....

upload_2015-12-1_15-52-12.png

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sorry, but Naw-lins is a media confection of the proper pronunciation that you'd NEVER hear from a local. 'Tis New-Awlins, with a slight inflection of an "r" where that "w" is.
Well I've heard it from as I said "some locals". I'm sure there are variations depending on the amount of Creole or Cajun inbred. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom