Oregon game thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Oregon game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'll never understand why teams try to turn a game into a track meet against UConn. Do they really think they have faster players? Or better conditioned players? Not sure what the appeal is to approach UConn in that way.

It's not like Oregon changed anything for UConn. That's how they practice and that is their style against everybody.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'll never understand why teams try to turn a game into a track meet against UConn. Do they really think they have faster players? Or better conditioned players? Not sure what the appeal is to approach UConn in that way. Despite what people think is boring basketball, I've always thought the Villanova style of play where you grind down the shot clock, shoot decently from 3, limit UConn's touches on offense, and hope to frustrate them into foul trouble by the slow pace when they're on defense is the way to level the playing field. I think it was Villanova that did exactly that when UConn's 70-game winning streak was snapped during the 2003 Big East tourney. UConn is simply too gifted on offense to even attempt to keep up, so take note opposing coaches: the fast pace favors UConn which can run anyone out of the gym.
Oregon didn't stand a chance trying to play a slow down half court game against Uconn anyway, so why not stay true to form - if Uconn had a bad game and Oregon had a 5 start game they might have been competitive.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Buck !!

She has such a sweet disposition

Yeah, I saw Heather in the hall coming in to the game. I almost didn't recognize her because the guy she was with was so much taller.

Reaction Score
I'll never understand why teams try to turn a game into a track meet against UConn. Do they really think they have faster players? Or better conditioned players? Not sure what the appeal is to approach UConn in that way. Despite what people think is boring basketball, I've always thought the Villanova style of play where you grind down the shot clock, shoot decently from 3, limit UConn's touches on offense, and hope to frustrate them into foul trouble by the slow pace when they're on defense is the way to level the playing field. I think it was Villanova that did exactly that when UConn's 70-game winning streak was snapped during the 2003 Big East tourney. UConn is simply too gifted on offense to even attempt to keep up, so take note opposing coaches: the fast pace favors UConn which can run anyone out of the gym.

You should go do some research on the Paul Westhead's system. There was no change in approach for Oregon. This is way they will play against every opponent they face this year.

Reaction Score
Oregon plays junk basketball. So Rowe scores a lot of points. She had two assists going into this game. Not a player who would ever play for Geno. Glad to see Stef get the triple double, but it was not an entertaining game. Junk basketball.

Not junk basketball, but school yard BB. Reminds me of my youth in the Bronx. It is fun to play that fast.

The game was really entertaining...more fun than our usual blow outs.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I think it's called the 'Lets Run Around And Pretend We're Guarding Someone' defense.

(I expect Oregon soon will be lobbying for a 4pt line.)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I thought it was the "Let them score so we can start the jailhouse break defense."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom