OOC Schedule Released | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OOC Schedule Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
I think I remember reading that part of the deal was Arizona would only play us in Hartford :(

Yeah... they probably got a bad taste of UConn in dey mouth when they played us in Storrs back in the early 2000s.

Reaction Score
This is a good schedule for where we are at now. There are enough big names on there for this year. No insane road trips like Arizona followed by Auburn.

Reaction Score
The schedule is fine for a team that was getting blown out by 25-40 points against better teams last year. Last year’s schedule was fantastic with only one problem, we spit the bit. If Hurley gets the teams to play dynamically, making the tourney off it won’t be a problem.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Who wants to talk about basketball games when we can talk about ex coaches
Took me until now to open up the thread. Maybe others will now.

I'm a snob enough about having directionals as conference mates that I wish we didn't have the secondary state schools in addition. I can see the 2K opponents, but why UMass Lowell instead of an in-state opponent in a nicer venue than their fans usually visit?

Reaction Score

I'm a snob enough about having directionals as conference mates that I wish we didn't have the secondary state schools in addition. I can see the 2K opponents, but why UMass Lowell instead of an in-state opponent in a nicer venue than their fans usually visit?
I agree. I don't understand playing a school like UMass Lowell. I understand wanting an easy schedule year 1 but there are plenty of other schools to play

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I agree. I don't understand playing a school like UMass Lowell. I understand wanting an easy schedule year 1 but there are plenty of other schools to play
They’re our Hockey East brethren. And I don’t mind scheduling for success this year.

Reaction Score
They’re our Hockey East brethren. And I don’t mind scheduling for success this year.

There are plenty of more interesting Hockey East brethren to play.

But, again, I'm fine with this schedule.

Reaction Score
It’s a throw away cupcake game, who cares? They could have scheduled Sacred Heart or CCSU but none of the cupcakes are going to move the needle anyway.

Reaction Score
We have a group of guys that haven’t won much. A weaker OOC schedule isn’t the worst thing in the world. Winning 3 of the 5 marquee games would set us up nicely to make the NCAAs if we can handle business in conference play.

I may get beat up for this (it is the Boneyard after all) but to me this schedule is intended for recruiting and not to make the NCAA tourney. And honestly, I am fine with it if it means we can position ourselves to be a serious competitor a couple years down. I think this schedule shows Hurley is committed to building the program inside the region and I trust that he can do that successfully.

If the NCAA uses the Quad system for at-large berths again like it did last year, this isn't the OOC schedule an AAC team plays to get selected. It gives you 4 maybe 5 chances at a Quad 1 win outside of a conference that offers few other opportunities at quality wins. When compared to other teams with a lot more opportunities, we probably will not stack up. So what we should wish for this season IMHO is growth and excitement of what lies ahead for us after this season and not view the NCAA tourney as the measuring stick for our future. I do believe, as do many of us here, that we are in good hands. And who knows, maybe we will win the AAC RS (i would hope that's still a barometer that the committee values) or win the tourney title and get a chance to dance!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Maybe Hurley wants to play them and not trail once at any point in the game for the first time in program history? That would eliminate the stink from the December 2015 game.

Reaction Score

It seems like these games are last minute fillers. Maybe this is all they could get.

C

Chief00

Wow, can't remember the last time we didn't have one road game OOC.

Which means we won’t get a return H game next year. Only 1 good OOC home game on schedule - AZ - and Benedict thinks it’s a bad series.
What is going on here between Suzy’s inept branding stuff, she is overpaying some 3rd rate consultant for, and Benedict cutting travel budgets - yet we have all these neutral site games.
Regardless of sources and friendships, Chief provides honest feedback so we can get better.

A big middle finger to the loyal season ticket holders is how I would sum this up.

Reaction Score

I know the perception of directional schools and secondary state schools. I often wonder why Central doesn't change the name to Connecticut State. It would change the perception of the school. One of those Louisiana secondary universities changed their name to University of Louisiana. It sounds much better. Same with Nevada, which used to be Nevada-Reno. I know it's an illusion, just playing with words, but perception means a lot.

Reaction Score
Nobody will be bitching in March if we have 26 wins and a tourney bid. On the other hand, 26 wins and a snub would be devistating. Need to win some games against the big programs.

Reaction Score
If we just win these games it will be great.

Yep. probably as well set up opportunity for Q1 wins as a non-P5 team can get. The fact that all the games are at home or "neutral" sites (which are likely to be quite friendly), seems to give a really good opportunity to get those...middle finger to the season ticket notwithstanding...

C

Chief00

Who is fine with this schedule and also gets season tickets for Home games? Just curious.

Reaction Score
Who is fine with this schedule and also gets season tickets for Home games? Just curious.
the home slate is going to suck until we get into a new conference or SMU, Cinci, Memphis, WSU, Temple and Houston all have a good year at the same time.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

That's funny, I thought people got season tickets because they enjoyed watching the UConn Huskies play -- not to watch their opponents.

Reaction Score

That's funny, I thought people got season tickets because they enjoyed watching the UConn Huskies play -- not to watch their opponents.

Right? I mean, surely, the UNH or UMass-Lowell games will have the same quality of play as the FSU or 'nova games. What's the difference?
...there's a reason Sox tix cost more to see the yankmes than the royals...

Seems like a good sched to improve odds to make NCAA's, but it does look like a single digit salute (as previously stated) to season ticket holders.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Right? I mean, surely, the UNH or UMass-Lowell games will have the same quality of play as the FSU or 'nova games. What's the difference?
...there's a reason Sox tix cost more to see the yankmes than the royals...

Seems like a good sched to improve odds to make NCAA's, but it does look like a single digit salute (as previously stated) to season ticket holders.

Watching and supporting UConn should carry its own intrinsic sense of enjoyment that balances out dissatisfaction with how well both teams are matched up. I mean, come on -- you're getting a chance to watch one of the best programs of the past 25 years start its return to glory. Be grateful.

Besides, this team should be positioned to blow out more than one of its cupcake games for the first time in quite a few years. Do people not enjoy seeing dominant wins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom