Olympic Teams' Exhibitions to be streamed on Facebook | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Olympic Teams' Exhibitions to be streamed on Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Select team has some good talent. Not enough to go as deal as the Olympic team, but some players that will definitely be competing for a spot on the 2020 Olympic team. We will be in good hands at the guard position.
Well, Select Team IS ahead 78-76.

Edit: Oops - not for long. Olympic team 80-78, 2:10 left

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm loving it. But let's face it. If this were the Olympics Charles, Maya, DT, Bird, Fowles, and Griner would be playing a lot more.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The US Select team is very impressive, and that comes on probably less practice than the Olympic team has had.

Bone has hands of stone. She fumbled a lot of passes.

Reaction Score
In the last minute Geno put in DT, Maya, Tina and Breanna (and Simone) to clamp it down. Breanna and Maya most instrumental in 6-0 run to ice it 88-84. Great game! Stewart doesn't look like a rookie.

Reaction Score
I think it was a great challenge. I am sure the Select team was playing with a chip on their shoulder and anxious to show their best. Good game that showcased team USA's ability to clamp down and win a close one down the stretch.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Howard had a spectacular game!
Not a lot of people ever talk about her but I have to imagine that many of the people on the select team are being considered for future Olympic spots. Great time to showcase your talents for sure!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I agree - this was an absolutely fascinating game. I couldn't take my eyes off the NBA TV screen for the entire game. It was competitive throughout, and I think the Select team probably led for more minutes than the Olympians. I continue to be concerned about the average age of the Olympians -- there are too many players on the team who are near the end of their careers, IMO. They look a little bit like the Yankees in that respect.

I couldn't completely figure out the coaching arrangements for the game. I could see that Geno and the Lynx coach were coaching the Olympic team and that Doug Bruno and Dawn Staley were coaching the Select team, but I couldn't tell which of those latter two was the "head coach". But they obviously had the Select team ready -- they seemed to run a coordinated offense and defense and to move the ball very well. I wonder if Doug and Dawn spent Saturday / Sunday / Monday exclusively with the Select team to prepare them for the game.

I was surprised at Geno's personnel decisions down the stretch, when the game was very clearly in jeopardy. I don't believe that Griner saw the floor in the last 6 or 7 minutes of the game. For a while Stewie and EDD were the bigs that the Olympians were relying on to stop Howard, and they weren't very effective in doing it. Stewie did make a very rookie error in fouling Howard when she was taking a 3-point shot with about a minute left, but she made up for it soon afterwards. At the VERY end of the game, Geno had four UConners (Tina, Maya, Diana, and Stewie -- curiously no Sue Bird) plus Seimone Augustus on the floor, and they did come back from a 2-point deficit to win the game. But the "big names" had far fewer minutes in crunch time than I expected. I don't know if that was because Geno wanted to put them into pressure situations or because he really thought they gave his team the best chance to win, but I was quite surprised.

It will be interesting to see if any of the "real" Olympic teams that they play later this week can give them as good a game as the Select team.

Reaction Score
Thanks everybody. Missed the game, really enjoyed your reporting. Have both NBATV and streaming options and just forgot about the game!!! Shame on me.

Reaction Score
One of the problems this team has is 3 centers, Tina, Brittney, and Sylvia won't be able to defend out to the 3 point line. Many of the International teams rely on the ability to shoot as many or more 3's then the select team did. Some won't have anyone in the paint, putting people on the floor who can defend all positions, at times will be critical.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
One of the problems this team has is 3 centers, Tina, Brittney, and Sylvia won't be able to defend out to the 3 point line. Many of the International teams rely on the ability to shoot as many or more 3's then the select team did. Some won't have anyone in the paint, putting people on the floor who can defend all positions, at times will be critical.

That's when you'd play Stewie or EDD at the 5, isn't it?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Love Geno. I wiah our players had more time with as they would learn so much to carry foreard in their careers.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Love Geno. I wiah our players had more time with as they would learn so much to carry foreard in their careers.
too bad some cant put up with his "antics"... if my child was 6ft tall with a ounce of athletic DNA in her she'd be going to UConn if they came acalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom