Olympic Team Announced | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Olympic Team Announced

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
btw there was a huge uproar on Kevin Love making the men's team due to the fact that his team is horrible and he hasn't even been close to one of the best players in the lg and the reasoning the men's gm gave was his experience of committment to the previous USA teams, hmm so it only works for one side of the USA ntl team being loyal. Feel for Nneka anyone that tells you injury was the reason she was left off is bs

Race was added into that squabble to. Pathetic

Reaction Score
Zzzzz Zzzzzz Zzzzzz. More page?
if it pleases you all, I will call the committee and make the necessary changes or you can continue. Let me know at www.itaintfair.com

Reaction Score
Race was added into that squabble to. Pathetic
Yep, called Love the “token white player”. It’s believed the USA was ashamed or afraid to send and all black team.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
If you start Griner, Charles, and Stewie, Bird, and Taurasi. Stewie is the wing a nightmare matchup for anyone in the world. Just as she was in the Fiba world championships in 2018.
I don't dispute that Stewie is a matchup nightmare, but I still think her best position is the 4 (where she plays for the Storm).

Reaction Score
It isn't that she has an attitude, IMHO, it's that she's one of the laziest "great" players I've seen in recent memory. WHEN she has the ball in her hands, she's tremendously gifted with what she can do. When she "tries" on defense, she's a monster. But WAY too often she stands around not putting forth any effort.

Granted I've only seen her play about 6-7 times so it's possible a larger pool of games would show something different, but my comments were something I noted literally every time I saw her play, albeit under 10 games in her college career.
I’ve only seen Howard in person once. It was her sophomore year against UVA. I knew nothing about her attitude. Only knew that she was known to be very good. Top freshman in the country? My game assessment was that she wasn’t all that impressive. Stood around a lot. Took enough shots to end up with 15 points or so. But not very efficient. I was underwhelmed.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno met with media today and addressed Nneka and the Olympic team. He makes the point a few of us have been making: blame for who is left off the team seems to follow him. In 2016 he was the coach and was blamed. Now he's part of the committee and he is blamed. Glad he mentions Dawn by name. She's the coach and getting a pass this time around.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Do I think people pointed the finger at Geno when Parker was left off? 100%

Do I think people are pointing the finger at him over Nneka? I think people are more po'd at USA basketball overall, cause they have not taken any questions, refused to clarify their reasoning, and seem to be moving the goal posts every selection period.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Do I think people pointed the finger at Geno when Parker was left off? 100%

Do I think people are pointing the finger at him over Nneka? I think people are more po'd at USA basketball overall, cause they have not taken any questions, refused to clarify their reasoning, and seem to be moving the goal posts every selection period.
SF Chronicle writer Ann Jillion lays it directly at the feet of Geno. She says Curt Miller does what Geno tells him to do and the rest of the committee bends to his will.

LaChina Robinson and Mechelle Voepel do the same but are a bit more indirect about it. Listen to their podcast.

Amazing how little heat Dawn is taking.

BTW, Mechelle and LaChina spend a lot of time talking about Nneka's snub in 2016. As I've said many times, that's the bigger snub but there was hardly a peep from LaChina or Mechelle about Nneka in 2016. Why not? Because it was all about Parker back then.

Reaction Score
Geno met with media today and addressed Nneka and the Olympic team. He makes the point a few of us have been making: blame for who is left off the team seems to follow him. In 2016 he was the coach and was blamed. Now he's part of the committee and he is blamed. Glad he mentions Dawn by name. She's the coach and getting a pass this time around.

Those people who don't like Geno picking the team and using his off-scale high basketball IQ should just go out and win 14 National Championships (3 more just like Geno is above Pat Summitt), have twelve or so NPOY's, win six gold medals (Geno has five) as the National team coach in FIBA World Championships, and be one of six people choosing the national team.

Go ahead, be more qualified than Geno, or sit the ---- down, and stop squawking.

Geno made his point in the tweet [UConnCat's #282 above] - it is not just about statistics, and Geno trained all of these people in how he consistently coached his national teams to deliver the gold. Dawn Staley played for Geno in the 2000 Olympics where both earned gold, so she KNOWS first hand about earning the Gold. Her only "blemish" is a Bronze medal was in the 1994 Australian World Cup, but she has 6 golds as a player, and six golds asa head coach of national teams.

For those who have issues with either or both of Geno & Dawn, do pushups until you get over it, but do them silently on your fingertips (away from your keyboard, thank you....)

To all others who do not need to do pushups to get more blood flow to your brains, "Enjoy the Olympics, particularly the show of basketball skill and IQ put on by our 10 former and current UCONN women!!!!"

Reaction Score
Those people who don't like Geno picking the team and using his off-scale high basketball IQ should just go out and win 14 National Championships (3 more just like Geno is above Pat Summitt), have twelve or so NPOY's, win six gold medals (Geno has five) as the National team coach in FIBA World Championships, and be one of six people choosing the national team.

Go ahead, be more qualified than Geno, or sit the ---- down, and stop squawking.

Geno made his point in the tweet [UConnCat's #282 above] - it is not just about statistics, and Geno trained all of these people in how he consistently coached his national teams to deliver the gold. Dawn Staley played for Geno in the 2000 Olympics where both earned gold, so she KNOWS first hand about earning the Gold. Her only "blemish" is a Bronze medal was in the 1994 Australian World Cup, but she has 6 golds as a player, and six golds asa head coach of national teams.

For those who have issues with either or both of Geno & Dawn, do pushups until you get over it, but do them silently on your fingertips (away from your keyboard, thank you....)

To all others who do not need to do pushups to get more blood flow to your brains, "Enjoy the Olympics, particularly the show of basketball skill and IQ put on by our 10 former and current UCONN women!!!!"
I don't see pitchforks out because Neka didn't make the WNBA All Star Roster.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Because Olympic selections and All Star selections are very different things. No one is arguing that Nneka has been one of the top players in the WNBA this year--it's hard to argue that when she's only played 5 games. The same could be said of DT, who has only played 6 total games. If you were picking a true "All Star" team based on 2021 WNBA performance alone, neither of them should be on it. But that's not what the Olympic selection team is doing.

(For that matter, All Stars are not usually the best 20-24 players in the league, because they are voted by fans.)

For that matter, Nneka has been an all star in the past and can be an all star next year and the year after that. Olympics come around once every 4 years and are an incredible opportunity to represent your country on the world stage.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Drama Alert.

Team USA will be playing exhibition games in Vegas in preparation for Tokyo. After playing the WNBA all-stars, Team USA will square off against Australia (July 16) and Nigeria (July 18).

Guess who's been named to the provisional list of 15 for the Nigerian Olympic team?

Oh, and Nigeria is in Team USA's preliminary group in Tokyo.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see if Nneka plays before the Olympic break and at what capacity. Have they definitively said when she will be cleared to play?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see if Nneka plays before the Olympic break and at what capacity. Have they definitively said when she will be cleared to play?
I don't recall. Sparks will play 2 more games before the break.

Larger question is whether Nneka is even eligible to play for Nigeria in the Olympics. FIBA rules say a player who after the age of 17 has played for one country's national team in a FIBA event may not play for another country's national team. The rules provide for an exception which would allow a player to play for his or her country of origin if the FIBA Secretary General deems it in the best interest of promoting basketball in that country of origin. I don't see how Nneka would qualify under this exception.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I don't recall. Sparks will play 2 more games before the break.

Larger question is whether Nneka is even eligible to play for Nigeria in the Olympics. FIBA rules say a player who after the age of 17 has played for one country's national team in a FIBA event may not play for another country's national team. The rules provide for an exception which would allow a player to play for his or her country of origin if the FIBA Secretary General deems it in the best interest of promoting basketball in that country of origin. I don't see how Nneka would qualify under this exception.
Guessing they will figure out a good excuse. The story line is too good.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Guessing they will figure out a good excuse. The story line is too good.
Could be. I suppose FIBA can do whatever it wants but the "country of origin" requirement for the exception should be a problem.

The Nigerian Federation named 3 Ogwumikes to the provisional team; 2 of them (Erica and Chiney) face no eligibility issues. Chiney hasn't played in a WNBA game since May 28.

Reaction Score
Drama Alert.

Team USA will be playing exhibition games in Vegas in preparation for Tokyo. After playing the WNBA all-stars, Team USA will square off against Australia (July 16) and Nigeria (July 18).

Guess who's been named to the provisional list of 15 for the Nigerian Olympic team?

Oh, and Nigeria is in Team USA's preliminary group in Tokyo.

Good for them!!! It's good to be an Olympian.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Voepel's write-up on the Nigerian squad; it includes some quotes from Nneka.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Voepel's write-up on the Nigerian squad; it includes some quotes from Nneka.

Interesting.

in terms of when Nneka will be ready to play, she says she'll be ready in time for the exhibition game or no later than the Olympics. "The plan from the beginning (of her injury recovery) was for me to be ready for the Olympics." I guess USA Basketball was supposed to assume she'd be ready. In any event, that eliminates any comparison with Taurasi who is back playing in WNBA games.

USA BB has released both Chiney and Nneka from the FIBA restriction which would put matters before the FIBA Sec General. Nneka speaks to what the Sec General must find to grant an exception: "I'm hoping it will contribute to the growth we're experiencing for Africa in basketball."

Hope this happens for Nneka.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good for Nneka, and the entire squad of Ogwumike's. Chiney was never going to be seriously considered for Team USA, so this is great for her, and Erika was already listed for Nigeria. So the whole clan could play for Nigeria.

Side note - I was going to ask if Nigeria even made the Olympic cut, but they did.

3 groups. Nigeria would be in Team USA's group, so we would be guaranteed to play them.

Group A
  • Korea
  • Serbia
  • Canada
  • Spain
Group B
  • Nigeria
  • Japan
  • France
  • USA
Group C
  • Australia
  • Belgium
  • China
  • Puerto Rico
It's unlikely Nigeria would make it out of Group B - I think only 2 teams right? from each group? So they'd have to beat out USA or France. Unlikely.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Good to finally hear from Nneka about the Olympic situation. It makes sense that she didn't want to speak out while working with USA Basketball to get the release she needed to join the Nigerian team.

"But there are decisions made in this life that you can't control. I allowed myself to feel the hurt, but moving on, I decided, 'I'm going to try to put matters in my own hands.'"--Nneka.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
3 groups. Nigeria would be in Team USA's group, so we would be guaranteed to play them.

It's unlikely Nigeria would make it out of Group B - I think only 2 teams right? from each group? So they'd have to beat out USA or France. Unlikely.
Top 2 from each group, plus the best two 3rd-place teams, advance to the Olympic quarterfinals.

Here are the FIBA rankings in Group B: USA (1), France (5), Japan (10), Nigeria (17). So Nigeria might be an underdog in terms of advancing out of group play, but having a healthy Nneka would surely enhance their chances.

US opens its Olympic campaign vs. Nigeria on July 27.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I suspect FIBA will ignore the fact that Chiney's and Nneka's interest in the development of basketball globally arose after they were denied the opportunity to play for the USA. And how does it help basketball in Nigeria to bring in American players just for the Olympics? Others can answer that.

Hope Nneka can play.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom