Olympic Team Announced | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Olympic Team Announced

Reaction Score
I don't know why people say Howard has an attitude and I am sure I have seen her play more times than you have. I always thought she had this quiet confidence about her. SC plays Kentucky twice every year and you can see how she interacts with the opposing players. I have seen a lot of SC players go over and hung her after games. I don't see them do it with other players.
Probably for the same reason that you are "sure" that you have seen her play more than I have. I don't need to see her in person to make that assessment and for certain she doesn't lack confidence. In the humility department...she needs an adjustment. I wouldn't start writing things on my sneakers, tweeting, etc. If I felt "overlooked for some award. I would spend my time getting better now whining. She's really good. She could be great with more focus. For a coach to have to suspend their best player...there's certainly room for improvement.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We can say it, but people in the selection process...and even reporters can't, but some players no matter how good they are...they aren't good teammates. I was a big Rhyne Howard fan her freshman year. I don't know what has happened to her since, but I wouldn't select her in a pickup game. Her attitude is just horrible! FOR ME...Candace is on this list. Jamelle Bailey.
If we are to use an "attitude" criteria for Olympic selection then the player picture below would never have been selected for an Olympic team-and that's by her own admission.
1624881477408.png

An "attitude" criteria is what some resort to when they are unwilling to make tough decisions based on basketball ability only. Parker had plenty of attitude before, during and after 2016. For a pick up game, my NCAA team or even in my fantasy league I'll take Rhyne Howard on my squad any day.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Nneka is a great basketball player, and a great human being as well. If anything except an injury prevented her from being named to the team than a huge travesty has occurred. As far as Arike, she is not a team player, only out for herself, and not a match for a Geno or Dawn team. Her appearance would be a disruption to the chemistry and flow of the game, the very thing that USA basketball promotes.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nneka is a great basketball player, and a great human being as well. If anything except an injury prevented her from being named to the team than a huge travesty has occurred. As far as Arike, she is not a team player, only out for herself, and not a match for a Geno or Dawn team. Her appearance would be a disruption to the chemistry and flow of the game, the very thing that USA basketball promotes.
So many errors here. Geno is not coaching.
Dawn Staley on Arike:
"Arike’s a tremendous player. I’m finally glad we’re able to get her into our national team pool, where she can play Arike-type basketball. What’s really good about it is that she gets the chance to play with Sylvia Fowles and Tina Charles, Olympians who have been around our program for a long time and learn from them."

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
So many errors here. Geno is not coaching.
Dawn Staley on Arike:
"Arike’s a tremendous player. I’m finally glad we’re able to get her into our national team pool, where she can play Arike-type basketball. What’s really good about it is that she gets the chance to play with Sylvia Fowles and Tina Charles, Olympians who have been around our program for a long time and learn from them."
I know Geno isn't coaching, just saying that he would not have her on the team when he was. As far as her meshing with the other players, I stand by my statement since I have observed her play during her WNBA career. If she makes the team in the future, she would hope that her buddy Martina Mabrey also is there to feed her.

Reaction Score
If we are to use an "attitude" criteria for Olympic selection then the player picture below would never have been selected for an Olympic team-and that's by her own admission.
View attachment 68232
An "attitude" criteria is what some resort to when they are unwilling to make tough decisions based on basketball ability only. Parker had plenty of attitude before, during and after 2016. For a pick up game, my NCAA team or even in my fantasy league I'll take Rhyne Howard on my squad any day.
Obviously, attitude matters for some, and others just want to win. And there are different strategies to winning, hence different coaching philosophies. Some folks would rather not deal with the drama. And certainly, they can evolve...for the better or worse. A positive attitude and humility don't just apply to basketball.

I'm not talking about a fantasy league. I'm talking real-life skills, beyond just basketball. Rhyne Howard is a skilled basketball player. I'm not questioning that. Isiah Thomas was left off the 92 Olympic team. It wasn't because he wasn't skilled. SO what was it? Some blame Jordan. Candace blames Geno. My advice is to forget the "snubs" and play ball. There are plenty of solid athletes in the WNBA and other sports who didn't get "awards"...which for me have long lost their luster. There's an award for EVERYTHING!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Obviously, attitude matters for some, and others just want to win. And there are different strategies to winning, hence different coaching philosophies. Some folks would rather not deal with the drama. And certainly, they can evolve...for the better or worse. A positive attitude and humility don't just apply to basketball.

I'm not talking about a fantasy league. I'm talking real-life skills, beyond just basketball. Rhyne Howard is a skilled basketball player. I'm not questioning that. Isiah Thomas was left off the 92 Olympic team. It wasn't because he wasn't skilled. SO what was it? Some blame Jordan. Candace blames Geno. My advice is to forget the "snubs" and play ball. There are plenty of solid athletes in the WNBA and other sports who didn't get "awards"...which for me have long lost their luster. There's an award for EVERYTHING!
Candace and the tin foil brigade incorrectly blamed Geno-consider the source! It would be much easier to take your life advice and move on and forget the snubs if this last (Neka) incident didn't happen. It would also be exponentially easier (by your theory) if none of these very talented WNBA players had personalities or the potential to cause drama. They all have personalities which is why "personalities" or the potential for drama should not be a consideration for selection. BTW the selection of Olympics basketball teams and real life should never be confused.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I know Geno isn't coaching, just saying that he would not have her on the team when he was. As far as her meshing with the other players, I stand by my statement since I have observed her play during her WNBA career. If she makes the team in the future, she would hope that her buddy Martina Mabrey also is there to feed her.
:eek:Is Martina the one on the right or left?
1624889513782.png

:eek:

Reaction Score
I can certainly understand why Parker was not picked for the team. While she is a great player, she tends to play a game that requires her team to adjust to her rather than her adjusting to her teammates. One a lesser talented team with her as the major star this certainly works, but on a team of talented players it becomes counter productive. The same could be said for any other ball dominant player.

Reaction Score
Candace and the tin foil brigade incorrectly blamed Geno-consider the source! It would be much easier to take your life advice and move on and forget the snubs if this last (Neka) incident didn't happen. It would also be exponentially easier (by your theory) if none of these very talented WNBA players had personalities or the potential to cause drama. They all have personalities which is why "personalities" or the potential for drama should not be a consideration for selection. BTW the selection of Olympics basketball teams and real life should never be confused.
Having a personality isn't synonymous with having a poor attitude. As I said in earlier posts, there are 12 spots. A team is more than just getting the 12 best players. You need chemistry. People get left off...sometimes repeatedly. There's always a snub...no matter who picks the team and no matter how many spots. I personally would have chosen Neka, but that's me.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Having a personality isn't synonymous with having a poor attitude. As I said in earlier posts, there are 12 spots. A team is more than just getting the 12 best players. You need chemistry. People get left off...sometimes repeatedly. There's always a snub...no matter who picks the team and no matter how many spots. I personally would have chosen Neka, but that's me.
Having a personality is synonymous with having a pulse. USA basketball is entirely a voluntary endeavor. It is ridiculous to think that player would work that hard to first get invited and make the team and then turn around and display a "poor attitude". BTW looks like Rhyne Howard was a solid pick for that last USA basketball team.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Having a personality is synonymous with having a pulse. USA basketball is entirely a voluntary endeavor. It is ridiculous to think that player would work that hard to first get invited and make the team and then turn around and display a "poor attitude". BTW looks like Rhyne Howard was a solid pick for that last USA basketball team.
SO...she's a good player. Everyone knows that.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't know why people say Howard has an attitude and I am sure I have seen her play more times than you have. I always thought she had this quiet confidence about her. SC plays Kentucky twice every year and you can see how she interacts with the opposing players. I have seen a lot of SC players go over and hung her after games. I don't see them do it with other players.
It isn't that she has an attitude, IMHO, it's that she's one of the laziest "great" players I've seen in recent memory. WHEN she has the ball in her hands, she's tremendously gifted with what she can do. When she "tries" on defense, she's a monster. But WAY too often she stands around not putting forth any effort.

Granted I've only seen her play about 6-7 times so it's possible a larger pool of games would show something different, but my comments were something I noted literally every time I saw her play, albeit under 10 games in her college career.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Side note - maybe not on here, but on other boards I read "Diana should have stepped down to make room for younger players", and her "injury should have precluded her from being on the Olympic team".

So all she does when she comes back in her very first game is score 25 points, 4-8 on 3's, 9-9 from the charity stripe, oh and she dished out 3 assists and grabbed 4 rebounds. If she has a pulse, she's making Team USA. Same goes for Bird. Regardless, both of them are still uber-elite players. They DESERVE to be on the team JUST based on their performance alone this season. Never mind everything else they bring to Team USA.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Side note - maybe not on here, but on other boards I read "Diana should have stepped down to make room for younger players", and her "injury should have precluded her from being on the Olympic team".
The cawing from the boo-birds accusing Sue and D of "selfishness" for "taking up" a spot is truly absurd. Does this happen in any other sport? I don't hear anyone trying to shame Allyson Felix for qualifying for a 5th Olympics and "taking up" one of only 3 precious spots in the 400 meters.

Ultimately it's just a dog whistle for these committed longtime haters to kick and scream over something, anything.

Reaction Score
Probably a good thing Diana had some time off. Now well rested, motivated, and abundant supplies of pee and vinegar.

Reaction Score
So far I have not seen any remarks from Nneka about this and assume she is taking the high road. She was consulted about he injury and probably knew the outcome of the choice before it was made. To me she appears to have class. Disappointed I'm sure. Crushed probably, but perhaps unlike others stirring the pot, knows that it was the injury that took her off the squad.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I see no emotion(good or bad) from her at all when she plays. I don’t get how she has “attitude” problems.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score

So all she does when she comes back in her very first game is score 25 points, 4-8 on 3's, 9-9 from the charity stripe, oh and she dished out 3 assists and grabbed 4 rebounds. If she has a pulse, she's making Team USA. Same goes for Bird. Regardless, both of them are still uber-elite players. They DESERVE to be on the team JUST based on their performance alone this season. Never mind everything else they bring to Team USA.
An issue that's long been at play for Team USA, even in 2016, is the lack of new talent at the guard position. As good as Bird and DT still are in 2021, they were better in 2012, and it's pretty incredible no one has been able to take their spots in that time. While there seem to be an endless supply of world class forwards for the team to pick, it's been much slimmer pickings at the guard spot (as well as the wing--which the team arguably is bringing zero of this year). Loyd/SDD/Gray have all earned their spots, but there is certainly room for the next generation soon, including Ionescu, Dangerfield, Arike, Paige, Clark, and more.

Reaction Score
An issue that's long been at play for Team USA, even in 2016, is the lack of new talent at the guard position. As good as Bird and DT still are in 2021, they were better in 2012, and it's pretty incredible no one has been able to take their spots in that time. While there seem to be an endless supply of world class forwards for the team to pick, it's been much slimmer pickings at the guard spot (as well as the wing--which the team arguably is bringing zero of this year). Loyd/SDD/Gray have all earned their spots, but there is certainly room for the next generation soon, including Ionescu, Dangerfield, Arike, Paige, Clark, and more.
If you start Griner, Charles, and Stewie, Bird, and Taurasi. Stewie is the wing a nightmare matchup for anyone in the world. Just as she was in the Fiba world championships in 2018.

Reaction Score
If you start Griner, Charles, and Stewie, Bird, and Taurasi. Stewie is the wing a nightmare matchup for anyone in the world. Just as she was in the Fiba world championships in 2018.
If Stewie was on Phoenix or Minnesota, she would be the wing on both of those teams, same if she was on Las Vegas. And put her on any of those teams they win the championship going away.

W

wolfe613

btw there was a huge uproar on Kevin Love making the men's team due to the fact that his team is horrible and he hasn't even been close to one of the best players in the lg and the reasoning the men's gm gave was his experience of committment to the previous USA teams, hmm so it only works for one side of the USA ntl team being loyal. Feel for Nneka anyone that tells you injury was the reason she was left off is bs

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom