Ollie quote on Alterique and Adams for upcoming season... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ollie quote on Alterique and Adams for upcoming season...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Best player on the team next year. Lottery pick.

If he shoots 35% plus from 3 and 48-50% overall he may turn into a prime time looker. Too many TO's and bad decisions last year but as Crack and you believe, if he jumps as he may we will all be happy for him because this team could be special.

So many if's but the good news is there's a lot of good players who can fill those ifs in.

Reaction Score
Adams, Purvis, Larrier, and Brimah should be locks to start. Between Facey and Gilbert for the 5th spot.

Reaction Score
I think the reason Gilbert needs to start is he will hands down be the best 'pg' on the roster, coming into college adams was a combo guard and he is still learning the nuances of being a primary ball handler imo. Gibbs was a great shooter and pretty underrated in that regard, but he struggled to get by defenders with his first step( watch him vs frank mason) ... nobody is stopping AG with a full head of steam either in transition or the half court. KO could tweak the line up ,like bringing size (facey) in for AG after a few minutes, I just think 'cold starts' are a bigger issue than not being able to rebound early.

Also i wouldn't be so quick to call adams uconns best player, i mean, isn't larrier the only guy getting legitimate first round buzz? I have raised my expectations of him quite a bit after all that scout feedback from draft net.

Reaction Score
whether he starts or not I'm confident Gilbert will on the floor at the end of games.

Will be interesting to see how improved Enoch is. Can he guard anything other than 5's? Can he hit a 15-17 footer?

Maybe Facey Makes a jump. Kinda think at this point we can't expect a huge jump.

Reaction Score
;
whether he starts or not I'm confident Gilbert will on the floor at the end of games.

Will be interesting to see how improved Enoch is. Can he guard anything other than 5's? Can he hit a 15-17 footer?

Maybe Facey Makes a jump. Kinda think at this point we can't expect a huge jump.

bingo he's senior. He's very effective as a ball chaser off the bench for 10-15 as a backup 5 , but nothing else. I also doubt enoch made a big enough jump to receive 20+ mpg, that would be a serious leap. and its not a giffey situation where he went and played vs the best in europe,he is coming back from a division b fiba tourney. I see enoch getting the same minute allotment as last year, which isn't necessarily a bad thing i mean the kid never had a post grad year.

Reaction Score
AG/JA/Purv/Enoch/Brimah is my starting lineup. Still expect i big jump for Enoch from last year. Guy has a good attitude and work ethic
What!!!!!! Enoch over Terry Lairrer. Your on something

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not super confident we'll play more up tempo. We just lost a guy who was great at rebounding and pushing the ball himself. Without solid rebounding and good outlet passes it will be hard to play faster, regardless of how fast JA and AG are with the ball in their hands.
Pretty much agree. It doesn't matter how quick you are a pass is faster. Agree rebounding and outlet passes start the break much better than taking the ball end to end.

Reaction Score
What!!!!!! Enoch over Terry Lairrer. Your on something

If AG doesn't start, which i think he absolutely will, then OK try starting Larrier at small forward and push JA and Purvis to guards. I however think Ollie is going to play much more small ball and pressure defense this season, and then mix and match depending on opponents strengths and match ups.

There is absolutely no way Larrier should be playing any PF this season with his frame. The guy missed a full season of in game experience, which I'm sure is going to show early in the season with a lack of poise. He's going to need to prove himself before he starts in my opinion. Plus the defensive combo and speed of AG/JA/Purvis is going to be the backbone of this team this upcoming season. Start there and then work off of it....

Also don't know why you're against starting Enoch. He's our biggest guy with the highest potential for defense rebounds, which was clearly our achilles heel last season. Showed flashes of greatness and athleticism past season just needs to get his timing and defensive rotation down

Reaction Score
I think the line up and expectations could all change if Durham is healthy. We will have to wait and see. For now anyone's speculation could come true, the spots are opened for someone to take them. Besides Jalen, Rodney (maybe best as 6th man?) and AB anything can happen. We can't leave a hungry Jackson out and AG isn't going to make it easy to not have him running the team.

Reaction Score
If AG doesn't start, which i think he absolutely will, then OK try starting Larrier at small forward and push JA and Purvis to guards. I however think Ollie is going to play much more small ball and pressure defense this season, and then mix and match depending on opponents strengths and match ups.

There is absolutely no way Larrier should be playing any PF this season with his frame. The guy missed a full season of in game experience, which I'm sure is going to show early in the season with a lack of poise. He's going to need to prove himself before he starts in my opinion. Plus the defensive combo and speed of AG/JA/Purvis is going to be the backbone of this team this upcoming season. Start there and then work off of it....

Also don't know why you're against starting Enoch. He's our biggest guy with the highest potential for defense rebounds, which was clearly our achilles heel last season. Showed flashes of greatness and athleticism past season just needs to get his timing and defensive rotation down

Giffey was 6'7", 6'10" wingspan and weighed 200lbs, he played plenty of PF. DHam was 6'8", 6'9" wingspan, and weighed 197lbs(likely significantly less his freshman year) and he played plenty of PF. DD was 6'9", 7'2" wingspan(a big plus, and it showed with his ability to defend the rim) and weighed 196lbs, and he played plenty of PF. Larrier is 6'8" with a 6'10" wingspan and weighs 190lbs, he will actually have to show that he can defend and rebound at PF, but he shouldn't be excluded just based off of his size when he's not much of an outlier from guys who logged plenty of minutes there the last 4 years. Also, why does he need to come off the bench and "prove himself"? If KO feels he's the best option for a starting spot then he will start, Purvis had to sit out his 1 game due to the summer league suspension but he started right off the bat after sitting out a year.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Giffey was 6'7", 6'10" wingspan and weighed 200lbs, he played plenty of PF. DHam was 6'8", 6'9" wingspan, and weighed 197lbs(likely significantly less his freshman year) and he played plenty of PF. DD was 6'9", 7'2" wingspan(a big plus, and it showed with his ability to defend the rim) and weighed 196lbs, and he played plenty of PF. Larrier is 6'8" with a 6'10" wingspan and weighs 190lbs, he will actually have to show that he can defend and rebound at PF, but he shouldn't be excluded just based off of his size when he's not much of an outlier from guys who logged plenty of minutes there the last 4 years. Also, why does he need to come off the bench and "prove himself"? If KO feels he's the best option for a starting spot then he will start, Purvis had to sit out his 1 game due to the summer league suspension but he started right off the bat after sitting out a year.

To some degree who plays at the 4 will also depend on the matchups, but I agree it will depend on Terry to some degree. A light switch seemed to come on for Giffey where he became kind of a quiet beast in the ferocity he showed on the boards in the 2014 tourney (as a senior). I hope that all of the Husky bigs get that same sort of intensity, but it might take a while to develop playing against bigger and/or stronger opponents. I also agree that Juwan could be a major factor as the season progresses if healthy, but he is very slender as well. Diarra may well become the banger/enforcer type who can come in and compete against the burly PFs who have often killed UConn in the past. Should be really fun to see how this plays out.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Larrier's body type (6'8/190) is similar to Deandre Daniels (6'9/196). Different games from what I've read, but it's not a stretch (pun) to play him at the four from a physical perspective.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

you beat me to it.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think the line up and expectations could all change if Durham is healthy. We will have to wait and see. For now anyone's speculation could come true, the spots are opened for someone to take them. Besides Jalen, Rodney (maybe best as 6th man?) and AB anything can happen. We can't leave a hungry Jackson out and AG isn't going to make it easy to not have him running the team.

There is a 100% chance Gilbert won't start over Rodney imo.

I've got really high hopes for Gilbert, and I hope he gets it from day one, but my personal expectations for him are about what Kemba was like his freshman year. El Amin is the only guy ever at UCONN who stepped in from Day 1 and looked like he'd been there already. Two of UCONN's best players every (Kemba/Shabazz) couldn't do that.

Reaction Score
There is a 100% chance Gilbert won't start over Rodney imo.

I've got really high hopes for Gilbert, and I hope he gets it from day one, but my personal expectations for him are about what Kemba was like his freshman year. El Amin is the only guy ever at UCONN who stepped in from Day 1 and looked like he'd been there already. Two of UCONN's best players every (Kemba/Shabazz) couldn't do that.

I have to disagree on the 100%. I mean if Jalen does not adapt to being the guy we will need a PG. So while I see it going that way, there may be a need for AG to start at some point. Let's hope not.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Good analysis. This also brings up the perennial question of starting vs. "6th man" etc. In the end the amount of minutes is what probably matters and what the winning combination seem to be as
experiments go on in the first half of the year. I am going to enjoy the competition for minutes and expect that the competition in practices would be pretty intense. There is a lot of young talent there to blend and I can't help but think that 2017 recruits are eyeballing that as well as they consider committing.

Reaction Score
I just want a fun season. I want to enjoy us being in the top ten most of the season and win atleast 24 games in the reg season. Seems like forever since we`ve been a top ten team week to week.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Jalen should be in for a great year. I see people are wondering if he can be the man but based on last year I think he is more than ready. The offense looked very smooth under him and he would a great job of attacking and moving the ball. He's not much of an off ball player IMO. He has to start at PG and lead. Gilbert will play that Kemba/Bazz freshman year role where he comes off the bench as a spark. Hopefully Jalen worked on his off ball game to be able to play off when AG comes in. My safe starting lineup is JA/Purv/Larrier/Facey/Brimah but my wild card lineup is JA/Purv/Larrier/Jackson/Brimah. Of course if Durham is healthy that changes a lot.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Jalen seemed to always make plays when needed last year especially in close games. I'm really excited to see what he could do with more responsibility and another year to work on his game.

Reaction Score
Jalen seemed to always make plays when needed last year especially in close games. I'm really excited to see what he could do with more responsibility and another year to work on his game.
Yeah i think last season we clearly played better when he was put into the starting lineup and it was his inexperience that hurt him but you can see he is a talented player. He and Gilbert should be fun to watch this season and if they stay together for a second season we could see a Boat/Bazz 2.o and hopefully the same result.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Jalen should be in for a great year. I see people are wondering if he can be the man but based on last year I think he is more than ready. The offense looked very smooth under him and he would a great job of attacking and moving the ball. He's not much of an off ball player IMO. He has to start at PG and lead. Gilbert will play that Kemba/Bazz freshman year role where he comes off the bench as a spark. Hopefully Jalen worked on his off ball game to be able to play off when AG comes in. My safe starting lineup is JA/Purv/Larrier/Facey/Brimah but my wild card lineup is JA/Purv/Larrier/Jackson/Brimah. Of course if Durham is healthy that changes a lot.
I think we are going see of JA and AG on the court together. By season's end I think that AG gets "starter minutes" even if he does not start.

Reaction Score

And you know his confidence kept on growing and culminated in the 2nd OT vs CINCI when he demanded DHAM give him the ball for the last (3/4 court) shot. WINNER!! I think he is gonna be a monster this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom