Ollie 7-3 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ollie 7-3

Reaction Score
As long as he has a good class coming in -- and he has Alterique Gilbert, Sid Wilson, James Akinjo, and Emmitt Matthews coming in, all quality players -- you have to give him another year.

If Alterique is out, this team is going to be lousy because it has no point guard. But it can still be a good year for Kevin Ollie if he develops his players and keeps them competitive.
We say this every year. Last year we had like the top 10 recruiting class in the nation to go along with several-4/5 star players. We didn’t win with them before they were injured either.

I hate to say it, but the only team Ollie did well with was the one recruited and coached for two years by Jim Calhoun.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Are we still at the point where we're assuming Adams and Larrier are not coming back? I mean, I get that they're older prospects who want to start making money, but they're really far away from being NBA players, I would think the default position of anybody on the team right now should be to come back. I mean, look at it this way, nobody other than UConn fans are going to be wondering whether those two are returning to school because they'll assume they will.

Adams has better chance than Larrier. His mindset and the way he’s played has seemed he’s very checked out and ready for something else in his mind

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
Well you’re in for a surprise
This team wont have a winning record, he's as good as gone. This team and his product is like watching the clothes go round and round in the dryer.. yawn!!

Reaction Score
I'm over Ollie. Not sure what the heck happened in the last few years, something obviously did. Seems like some of you guys have the inside scoop on things from within. I really cannot believe what has happened to him, he should be embarrassed. Think back that 1st year when he took over, team on probation, players left and we won 20 games in the big east. Now, I honestly cannot even watch these games, it's a struggle.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm over Ollie. Not sure what the heck happened in the last few years, something obviously did. Seems like some of you guys have the inside scoop on things from within. I really cannot believe what has happened to him, he should be embarrassed. Think back that 1st year when he took over, team on probation, players left and we won 20 games in the big east. Now, I honestly cannot even watch these games, it's a struggle.

You've answered part of your own question.

We've had to import our senior leadership, partly due to the probation. Yes, part was also due to the departures and to Hamilton leaving early. But we've been in a multi-year situation where the seniors were transfers or grad transfer 1-year players (Gibbs, Miller, Purvis, Anderson, Onuorah, etc.).

In terms of home-grown players that know his system and have been in it for 3 or 4 years, the only one we have right now that fits that description is Adams.

That's what has happened. Does Ollie need to own the recruiting misses that also led to this? Sure he does. TSam, Cassell, the folks that left this year, etc. But you are looking at a team that is either brutally young or had only been with Ollie for a couple of months, or both...

Reaction Score
Are we still at the point where we're assuming Adams and Larrier are not coming back? I mean, I get that they're older prospects who want to start making money, but they're really far away from being NBA players, I would think the default position of anybody on the team right now should be to come back. I mean, look at it this way, nobody other than UConn fans are going to be wondering whether those two are returning to school because they'll assume they will.

KO has zero clout with these guys. Calhoun used to get guys to come back for one more year because they knew that he would improve their stock and get them to improve as players.

KO hasn't shown any such ability. They're gone.

Reaction Score
If our big men don’t score 10-15 points then we have no chance vs Auburn or zona ..! I’m watching how the Alabama bigs are playing vs zona and there very in the flow of the game via touches, rebounding, steals , and hustle

Reaction Score
Monmouth and Stony Brook are both good enough to win their conferences; that means 20 wins. Their record through 5 weeks is not indicative of how good they are. So ... throwing that murderers row list is fairly meaningless to where their KenPom will be in March.

There's no significant UConn boosters to pay Ollie to leave. He can get 14 suits at Mitchell's or a car. He has a ready seat at a bunch of NBA towns if he wants. I don't think we buy him out. So ... he needs to get great improvements from this bunch and hope for next year.

Only KO can make the call - at this point - to exit Storrs. And he might recognize that the Program has diminished.

Sorry to interrupt your pity party. Some kids look better - actually.

Last edited:

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Monmouth and Stony Brook are both good tonight to win their conferences; that means 20 wins. Their record through 5 weeks is not indicative of how good they are. So ... throwing that murderers row list is fairly meaningless to where their KenPom will be in March.

There's no significant UConn boosters to pay Ollie to . He can get 14 suits at Mitchell's or a car. He has a ready seat at a bunch of NBA towns if he wants. I don't think. So ... he needs to get great improvements from this bunch and hope for next year.

Only KO can make the call - at this point - to exit Storrs. And he might recognize that the Program has diminished.

Drugs are really bad, man.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
It truly was amazing. Not just the 2014 championship, but from the moment Calhoun stepped down, to the moment Boatright pulled down the final rebound against Kentucky.

How in the hell did we win 20 games in the real Big East with that team with nothing to play for other than dignity and improvement for next season?
Then we come out of nowhere and win as a 7 seed. I still cannot even believe it as I write this.

What happened with this program? What went wrong? I thought Ollie was a demigod at that point.

Reaction Score
If Ollie was let go, anybody think he gets a P5 gig elsewhere? Imagine how exciting this place will be if we find him showing that 2014 magic with Akinjo/Matthews lighting up a league we can't get invited too. You think it's bad now, imagine that while we start at ground zero.
Hmmmmmm.

Reaction Score
Remember Ollie is 7-3 this yr. Ed Cooley is 7-3 and Dan Hurley is 5-3. Between these 2 jokers. They have 2 NCAA wins in 18 yrs as head coach. Ollie and an improving team is the answer for the next 2 yrs. Not some coach whose ceiling is the round of 32

we need a 200 boneyard post rule before making these statements

Reaction Score
It's a real possibity Ollie couLd land a gig with one of the bottom feeder ACC or SEC teams

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
It's a real possibity Ollie couLd land a gig with one of the bottom feeder ACC or SEC teams
I hope he Pastner's us so we don't have to pay the buyout.

Reaction Score
It truly was amazing. Not just the 2014 championship, but from the moment Calhoun stepped down, to the moment Boatright pulled down the final rebound against Kentucky.

How in the hell did we win 20 games in the real Big East with that team with nothing to play for other than dignity and improvement for next season?
Then we come out of nowhere and win as a 7 seed. I still cannot even believe it as I write this.

What happened with this program? What went wrong? I thought Ollie was a demigod at that point.

Ollie is our tubby smith. Our mike Davis. He was the right guy at the right time with the right players, but he is incapable of building and maintaining a high level program at this point.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
KO has zero clout with these guys. Calhoun used to get guys to come back for one more year because they knew that he would improve their stock and get them to improve as players.

KO hasn't shown any such ability. They're gone.

Okay, this is outlandish again.

Adams and Larrier having opinions of their own skill levels that aren't grounded in reality has nothing to do with the coach.

They'd be leaving even if Calhoun told them they needed to stay.

Reaction Score
Kinda where I'm at. I want to believe the NC wasn't a fluke, and that the new faces will mesch, and that we'll find an identity and improve our shooting. But right now it looks like the Coaches haven't settled on anything except Jalen playing 40. Guys must be getting confused.

No matter the opinion of job status, there are no fluke NC.

Reaction Score
You've answered part of your own question.

We've had to import our senior leadership, partly due to the probation. Yes, part was also due to the departures and to Hamilton leaving early. But we've been in a multi-year situation where the seniors were transfers or grad transfer 1-year players (Gibbs, Miller, Purvis, Anderson, Onuorah, etc.).

In terms of home-grown players that know his system and have been in it for 3 or 4 years, the only one we have right now that fits that description is Adams.

That's what has happened. Does Ollie need to own the recruiting misses that also led to this? Sure he does. TSam, Cassell, the folks that left this year, etc. But you are looking at a team that is either brutally young or had only been with Ollie for a couple of months, or both...

And who created that situation?

Reaction Score
Is it stupid? Nah.

Personally, I’m really, really pissed that Ollie let this all happen - and he did - but I don’t see him getting fired this year for millions ($) of reasons, so I gotta hope for the best and hope that those kids coming in are better than we think.
I get the buyout issue, but what happens if we do nothing? We are watching a once proud brand spiral into oblivion; our options for future players, conference affiliations, attendance, marketing, etc., diminish. What is the cost of recovery - if even possible - then? Get creative and find the guy a mid-major job somewhere to mitigate the buyout exposure. He needs a change of scenery and we need to salvage what was UCONN basketball.

We are going to get creamed in conference play due to a large part to ineffective, ill-prepared, rudderless, curiously bad leadership.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Monmouth and Stony Brook are both good enough to win their conferences; that means 20 wins. Their record through 5 weeks is not indicative of how good they are. So ... throwing that murderers row list is fairly meaningless to where their KenPom will be in March.

There's no significant UConn boosters to pay Ollie to leave. He can get 14 suits at Mitchell's or a car. He has a ready seat at a bunch of NBA towns if he wants. I don't think we buy him out. So ... he needs to get great improvements from this bunch and hope for next year.

I can't speak for other fans, but for myself, I was hoping for more than eking out wins over the potential champs of the Mid-Atlantic and America East Conferences, no matter what their final records might be.

I've resorted to replaying the UConn-Michigan State Elite 8 game from 2014 that's still on our DVR. Now that was a close win worth cheering for.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom