Ollie 7-3 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ollie 7-3

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
As a fan of the UConn men's basketball program I'll always root for that program to
be successful even during rough times. When that program decides to make changes, eventually I'll root for and support those changes because I'm a fan of the UConn men's basketball program.

Reaction Score
Yep. They won't cover the full cost of the buyout but at least a portion of it.
"Portion of the buyout" won't be enough. He is owed 10 million after the year. Unless that is fully covered he won't be let go.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Got 10mil per for the next few years?
Did anyone have 3.5 mil to get rid of Diaco last year? I said we'd can him even with the buyout problem. We have a problem. Ollie sucks in a mid-major league. He's not sticking around. UConn will find out a way to pay him off.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
"Portion of the buyout" won't be enough. He is owed 10 million after the year. Unless that is fully covered he won't be let go.
The rest will be covered by the school just like Diaco's was.

Reaction Score
Providence torched us.
Michigan State torched us.
Arkansas torched us.
Syracuse torched us.
If that’s not enough we’re hanging on for dear life with nobodies.
So in 11 games we have 1 game to be proud of, and I should be happy with so called 7-3?
At this point just being competitive in the next 3 games would be like a victory.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
No it won't. School can't afford to buy him out. And school didn't buy Diaco out. Booster did.
That last part isn't actually true...

Reaction Score
I hope they can somehow pull out 1 of the next 3, but that will require Alterique Gilbert.
I know you mean well, but you realize what you are hoping for has never been a hope uttered in the last 25 years...talk about readjusted expectations. Don't settle.

Reaction Score
If the hints people here have been dropping are at all valid, then this is as good as done. It has the look and the feel of a team that knows their coach is going to get fired. By the sound of it, that might come as a relief to all involved. I'm not sure his heart is in it and I'm not sure the players don't know that.

It doesn't mean he won't re-surface as a successful coach down the road, but what appears to be happening right now is unfortunate.

Reaction Score
Did anyone have 3.5 mil to get rid of Diaco last year? I said we'd can him even with the buyout problem. We have a problem. Ollie sucks in a mid-major league. He's not sticking around. UConn will find out a way to pay him off.

The timing couldn't be worse. Herbst has a major black hole in university finances to deal with. She will be hacking away at reputable and productive programs, essentially cutting off healthy limbs in order to save the torso (even though that makes no sense). The optics of a $10 million buyout during a time when the university is undergoing major upheaval? I think you're kidding yourself.

It's gotta to be donor money. If not, Ollie returns.

Reaction Score
Georgetown is 8-0, and they beat Coppin St by 16...........schedule sucks but they are easily beating inferior competition....unlike another team.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Is it stupid and naive to want Ollie here next year just so we keep our 2018 class, esp. Akinjo?

I hate the "wait 'til next year" narrative every season, but assuming no one significant transfers....

Akinjo, Gilbert, Vital backcourt
Sid Wilson, Emmitt Matthews, Polley
Cobb, Diarra, Carlton, Whaley, Kisunas

And maybe we will get VERY lucky and 1 of Adams/Larrier come back.
I was on the Ollie train, then it started to teeter after Arkansas blowout+back to back OT games. But now I'm thinking it's more the players than Ollie (which, yes, Ollie is accountable for). Maybe he just needs the right guys to fit his system, and part of me still wants to give him the benefit of the doubt.

On the other hand, if we have another bad season and a mass exodus, then it will be very hard to defend his survival another year.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Georgetown is 8-0, and they beat Coppin St by 16......schedule sucks but they are easily beating inferior competition....unlike another team.
They haven’t played any games that ‘mattered’ yet. They are 0-0

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
If Ollie was let go, anybody think he gets a P5 gig elsewhere? Imagine how exciting this place will be if we find him showing that 2014 magic with Akinjo/Matthews lighting up a league we can't get invited too. You think it's bad now, imagine that while we start at ground zero.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Is it stupid and naive to want Ollie here next year just so we keep our 2018 class, esp. Akinjo?

I hate the "wait 'til next year" narrative every season, but assuming no one significant transfers....

Is it stupid? Nah.

Personally, I’m really, really pissed that Ollie let this all happen - and he did - but I don’t see him getting fired this year for millions ($) of reasons, so I gotta hope for the best and hope that those kids coming in are better than we think.

pj

Reaction Score

I was on the Ollie train, then it started to teeter after Arkansas blowout+back to back OT games. But now I'm thinking it's more the players than Ollie (which, yes, Ollie is accountable for). Maybe he just needs the right guys to fit his system, and part of me still wants to give him the benefit of the doubt.

On the other hand, if we have another bad season and a mass exodus, then it will be very hard to defend his survival another year.

As long as he has a good class coming in -- and he has Alterique Gilbert, Sid Wilson, James Akinjo, and Emmitt Matthews coming in, all quality players -- you have to give him another year.

If Alterique is out, this team is going to be lousy because it has no point guard. But it can still be a good year for Kevin Ollie if he develops his players and keeps them competitive.

Reaction Score
Georgetown is 8-0, and they beat Coppin St by 16......schedule sucks but they are easily beating inferior competition....unlike another team.

Really?

You think there's value in pointing out G'town beat them by 16 whereas UConn only won by 12?

Both teams should have won by 30.

But the difference between 16 and 12 in such a game is nothing more than a fart.

Reaction Score
Remember Ollie is 7-3 this yr. Ed Cooley is 7-3 and Dan Hurley is 5-3. Between these 2 jokers. They have 2 NCAA wins in 18 yrs as head coach. Ollie and an improving team is the answer for the next 2 yrs. Not some coach whose ceiling is the round of 32
I don’t know if you’re post/thread is merely to provoke or you’re serious. But, have you looked at the attendance numbers recently? They had to literally give away free tickets today and there was still barely 3000 in Gampel. While you may have not noticed sharp attendance dexline, Athletic director DB certainly has. 2 more years of this and there will be no one left at all. Citing wins vs. losses without context is meaningless. Georgetown is also undefeated. All but 1 of our wins were against teams ranked 100-346, including today’s win against 0-10 Coppin State team ranked 346th our of 351 division one teams. We struggled in back to back overtime games to another couple low ranked mid-majors. Look at the schedule, and you will see based on our current trajectory, we will have more losses than wins, another record will be set midway through conference play.

By the way, Providence and Rhode Island are ranked roughly 45–50 Uconn is ranked 97th and falling.

Again, based on every reliable metric and predictive forecasting model, by years end, Kevin Ollie will have achieved 1 tournament appearance in 4 seasons. You really think they’re going to keep him for two more years?

Reaction Score

Are we still at the point where we're assuming Adams and Larrier are not coming back? I mean, I get that they're older prospects who want to start making money, but they're really far away from being NBA players, I would think the default position of anybody on the team right now should be to come back. I mean, look at it this way, nobody other than UConn fans are going to be wondering whether those two are returning to school because they'll assume they will.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom