Oklahoma post game thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Oklahoma post game thread

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As noted, there were a number of significant personal and team improvements in this game. This team is starting to remind me of the 2017 team that in beginning of year many thought was not talented enough to be top team (i.e. few trusted KLS and Collier to lead team). Still too early to predict where this year's relatively untested team will finish but like the progression.

You'll like Mike Anthony's take on the game:

"Here are the numbers more relevant to reaching another Final Four, maybe winning a 12th national title, any lofty postseason aspirations or expectations: 37 minutes, 27 points, 15 rebounds, seven blocks.

Those are the numbers posted by Olivia Nelson-Ododa against the Sooners.

Those numbers matter so much more than whatever the AP’s collection of votes from across the country spits out after another little shakeup at the top of the national snow globe picture."

Reaction Score
This may be sacrilege, but at this point in her career, Liv is a much better shot blocker than Stewie. Now if she could only knock down her 3’s....:cool:

you know ONO has a nice mid range game which I hope we see more of as the season progresses in addition to the continued aggressiveness inside.............she certainly hit some threes in high school....................if she can add that to the arsenal on a somewhat consistent basis then the sky's the limit.......

Reaction Score

"Here are the numbers more relevant to reaching another Final Four, maybe winning a 12th national title, any lofty postseason aspirations or expectations: 37 minutes, 27 points, 15 rebounds, seven blocks.

Those numbers matter so much more than whatever the AP’s collection of votes from across the country spits out after another little shakeup at the top of the national snow globe picture."

Some on the BY have been saying: As Olivia Nelson Ododa goes so goes UConn. I.E. All championships, this year, goes through ONO.

Reaction Score

the question is at this point in her young career can she dominate or even just hold her own against the likes of Baylor, Oregon and South Carolina...............she is certainly capable of doing that but only time will tell

Reaction Score
you know ONO has a nice mid range game which I hope we see more of as the season progresses in addition to the continued aggressiveness inside.............she certainly hit some threes in high school....................if she can add that to the arsenal on a somewhat consistent basis then the sky's the limit.......
And she has knocked down some 3's for UConn, not many, but why should she shoot from 17 when she is deadly from 12 ft inward. Any time she can take a "BIG" 12 ft from the basket is a good thing.

Reaction Score
the question is at this point in her young career can she dominate or even just hold her own against the likes of Baylor, Oregon and South Carolina...............she is certainly capable of doing that but only time will tell
Good question! To go along with that, although she has gained muscle and experience does she have enough of either to take on those you mention??? That said, she is light years away from the ONO we saw at this time last year, talent, experience, determination, she now looks like and plays like a champion.

Reaction Score
Never understood while Sharri has not been able to develop many Top 20 teams. View her as a not great, but solid coach with enough personality to recruit. You would think she could poach enough Texas kids to compliment what the entire state of Ok could bring.
was surprised at the (lack of) conditioning of the OK team. they were gassed

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Did UConn unnecessrily run up the score at the end?
Sherri didn't look too happy on the handshake line.
Chris was perhaps over-exuberant near the end.
Geno might have lightened up on the running.
Remember, they're supposed to be friends.
As a rule with a big lead and the shot clock off you don't take a shot. One of our kids did (I don't remember who.) Dailey yelled no at the time and said "I'm sorry about that" in the handshake line. Not a huge deal, but we shouldn't have done it.

CL82

Reaction Score
Live potential is really really really high...
Though she's got a lot more muscle than last year, she's can put a lot more her frame, which will let bump more with bigger players. She's playing well now but she's not close to her ceiling yet.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

I have no doubt she can hold her own on talent. There is no Tierra McCowan / Kalani Brown out there that is just so physically dominant imho and while Aliyah may be that in future, she is just a Frosh.

The only issue in my mind is our depth at the Post. If she get shackled with fouls, all bets are off.

CL82

Reaction Score
Few people know just how far Geno and Sharri go back. I read somewhere a while back that he recommended Coale for the OU head coach position when she was a candidate.
She tells a great story about Geno coming to practice to see a recruit when she was high school coach. She says something to effect that the it's middle of winter in Okla and Geno comes in like a rock star with loafers and no socks. It's funnier than that but that is the part that stuck in my mind.

CL82

Reaction Score
Very interesting comments on Aubrey. She basically confirms that in the last 3 minutes or so, the team went a bit rouge and Aubrey was one of the major felons. They were supposed to run more offense but opportunities and opening were just so glaring, she took them so early but she is a freshman.
Good presser. It strikes me as funny that when our HOF coach is out sick we can replace him with our other HOF coach. I think I get why some programs' fans don't like us.

Reaction Score
I said early in the season that Aubrey could 'turn it on' but I was not taken seriously .. even tho I had seen her play while others hadn't .. they seemed to know better than me without ever having seen her play .. I said she was a 'scoring machine' and still believe i m correct in that regard. And yes, she does have a pull-up jumper, but they're not running any stuff for her, eh? She has to make it up on the fly...

Waaayyyy too early for a victory lap. And she's still not on track to lead the team in scoring. And probably never will (given the other scorers she will be playing with).

Reaction Score
I said early in the season that Aubrey could 'turn it on' but I was not taken seriously .. even tho I had seen her play while others hadn't .. they seemed to know better than me without ever having seen her play .. I said she was a 'scoring machine' and still believe i m correct in that regard. And yes, she does have a pull-up jumper, but they're not running any stuff for her, eh? She has to make it up on the fly...
Oh please! First, although you have watched her more often, you are not the only person on the board who saw Aubrey play in high school. Second, from day one there has been general agreement that Aubrey is unusually gifted and will be a special player. While we might not have taken your word for it, we have taken Geno's. Third, most of the blow back you have received wasn't about whether Aubrey could "turn it on" or has a good jumper. It was about your claim that she would lead the team in scoring. I suppose that could still happen, but I have my doubts.

And before you make the old "she would lead the team if she played as many minutes as Megan" argument, the same could be said about Molly, based on her stats against Oklahoma. (And no, I am not comparing Aubrey and Molly. I am just making a point about the perils of extrapolation).

Does your arm ever get tired from patting yourself on the back?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
When Geno visited Norman to see Stacy Hansmeyer practice under the tutelage of Sherri he watched for a while and then went up to Sherri and asked her 'do you know how good you are?' Referring to her coaching ability not the quality of her team. He did in fact recommend to the Oklahoma AD that he hire Sherri...straight out of high school...and he did. I believe they were very close to dumping the women's basketball team at that point.

Sherri brought them to a high level but not the apex and it does seem they have fallen off somewhat in latter years. I don't believe OU has ever beaten UConn though they have played many times.

Highlight was 2002 NC game...UConn over OU 82-70 [maybe?]. An olde fashioned three point play by Dee sealed it with a minute or so to go.

Bar trivia question: how many treys did UConn hit in that game?

I think the answer is zero....with many attempts. Hit a normal percentage and the game would have been a blowout....uhhh...like the semi-final win over LadyVol Herself...by around 25 or 30...with Geno letting up in the second half

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Fun article by Carl Ademac with a little bit of everything.

Funniest story of the night has to be this

As Chris Dailey made her way back to the UConn women’s basketball team’s locker room following the No. 2 Huskies’ 97-53 win over Oklahoma Sunday at Mohegan Sun Arena, she took a moment to check her cell phone.
Geno Auriemma, who missed the game as he recovers from surgery, had checked in with his associate head coach.

“I got a text that said, ‘Call me,’ and I was like, ‘Oh God,’ ” Dailey said. “It’s like the principal is calling you. I went to Catholic school so my first thought was, ‘Oh God, what did I do wrong?’ ”

Also, I did not appreciate how well Megan has been rebounding and moving up the double double charts.

I suppose a season 20/10 average is within reach following Pheesa. Meg could not even allow Pheesa's contribution to last more than a year. ;)

Reaction Score

Yup

Reaction Score
Good presser. It strikes me as funny that when our HOF coach is out sick we can replace him with our other HOF coach. I think I get why some programs' fans don't like us.
Hey, rouge I can take. What’s your favorite shade.

Reaction Score
I see great things for Aubrey once she gets into the UConn rhythm but for now I will accept the spark she can provide in limited minutes. That’s valuable. Hopefully, sitting on the bench she is watching team play and figuring out how she can work herself into it. I saw a flash or two...well, maybe only one...in OK game. And realistically four of her points came when Chris was shouting at them not to score when OK had basically thrown in the towel. This is no doubt why Geno limits her minutes. He doesn’t want to scare her off by having to shout at her for freshman mistakes made in longer court time.

Reaction Score
The key individuals in any game against top opponents will be the officials. If ONO stays on the floor for 35 minutes, we stand a good chance against anyone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom