Oklahoma post game thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Oklahoma post game thread

Reaction Score
So I was at the game today with pretty good center court seats only 6 rows up and what I noticed in both sets of warmups was Crystal has the highest arc on her shots, Meg is second, Molly, Kyla, Christyn and then Anna has the lowest arc of all of them. I am a moderate shot analyst but have read enough to know most analytics show higher arcs (including Taylor Robinson’s shot) have a better chance of going in. I look to our colleagues to hear their thoughts. Again, I am no basketball shot guru by any stretch so I am curious to hear others views.
Those analytics are correct. As soon as they can understand, kids should be taught to shoot OVER the front rim not AT it. Kaleena Mosqueda Lewis has just about the perfect launch angle and arc, that's why she might be the best shooter in WBB. And this kid Robertson of Oklahoma has it too.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So I was at the game today with pretty good center court seats only 6 rows up and what I noticed in both sets of warmups was Crystal has the highest arc on her shots, Meg is second, Molly, Kyla, Christyn and then Anna has the lowest arc of all of them. I am a moderate shot analyst but have read enough to know most analytics show higher arcs (including Taylor Robinson’s shot) have a better chance of going in. I look to our colleagues to hear their thoughts. Again, I am no basketball shot guru by any stretch so I am curious to hear others views.
Come watch Azzi with me. She'll gladly demonstrate. ;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I thought OK gave up altogether in the last 3-4 minutes. They chucked up shots on offense and played zero defense. But those who thought UConn scored more in the last minute than was necessary may have a point.

In Liv's post game, she said the OK team seemed tired and that pushed them to move and cut even more. That was even more true on defense,

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Very interesting comments on Aubrey. She basically confirms that in the last 3 minutes or so, the team went a bit rouge and Aubrey was one of the major felons. They were supposed to run more offense but opportunities and opening were just so glaring, she took them so early but she is a freshman.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Something else about Liv that no one has mentioned. She’s been staying out of foul trouble since the Seton Hall game. It would appear that someone talked to her, and she’s learned that lesson. That is a huge milestone in her ongoing growth and development.

In her post game, she was basically saying the main thing she is doing better is listening and focusing on what the coaches are saying,. Apparently, they know what they are doing.

Reaction Score
Wow! I just checked the boxscore on ESPN. Aubrey had 14 points, 5 boards, 2 assists and 3 steals! In 13 minutes!!

I thought she looked good while watching, but man o' man talk about efficiency!
I said early in the season that Aubrey could 'turn it on' but I was not taken seriously .. even tho I had seen her play while others hadn't .. they seemed to know better than me without ever having seen her play .. I said she was a 'scoring machine' and still believe i m correct in that regard. And yes, she does have a pull-up jumper, but they're not running any stuff for her, eh? She has to make it up on the fly...

Reaction Score
Well, this game sort of went differently from most, in that UConn kept building steam after a relatively slow start. 1Q wasn't pretty, but they got better and better until they were almost freight train like by the end of the 4Q. LOL, CD wasn't even able to slow them down which they normally would have done by the last few minutes.

Megan Walker had her usual highly productive game, and this wasn't even the best of her today. ONO's output speaks for itself. Teams without a lot of interior size are going to have big trouble with her.

I've been trying to characterize what Griffin seems to be at this point - she does some things impressively enough to make my eyeball twitch. What I've settled on for the moment is this: she's like (collegiate) Diamond DeShields with a different mindset. She's basically Diamond's height, length, and athleticism, but instead of having Diamond's particular set of strengths and weaknesses on court, Aubrey seems to be most comfortable in a more utilitarian role. Tenacious on-ball defense and pass disruption, a strong instinct and desire to rebound, etc. Not really a defensive or offensive scheme player yet, but someone who can sweep over the other team like a natural disaster in the right situations. Pat Summitt (may she RIP) would have drooled over the possibility of having even the current version of her.

But that's just an early-freshman assessment. I expect the variety of her offense in particular to change as the years go on, so who knows what she'll look like as an upperclassman.

Reaction Score
I said early in the season that Aubrey could 'turn it on' but I was not taken seriously .. even tho I had seen her play while others hadn't .. they seemed to know better than me without ever having seen her play .. I said she was a 'scoring machine' and still believe i m correct in that regard. And yes, she does have a pull-up jumper, but they're not running any stuff for her, eh? She has to make it up on the fly...

What some of us did not take you seriously on was not the fact you now are saying, "Aubrey could "turn it on" or a "scoring machine", but you said she will be high scorer on team "this year", eh?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If you shoot the ball in the dead center of the basket all the time, then the arc doesn’t really matter. However, if you’re slightly off center, like most shooters, than the arc you put on a shot matters greatly. The basket is roughly the width of 2 basketballs, so the higher the arc, the more likely the surface area that is exposed to the basket is circular providing a greater margin for error that will still allow the ball to go through the hoop.

Flatter shots, which is the way Megan used to shoot at times last season, create a greater, elliptical surface area at the basket and a much greater possibility of catching some portion of the rim and ending up as a rebound rather than a bucket.

In addition, a high arcing shot, even if it catches the rim has a much greater chance to bounce straight up and then through the hoop, providing the proverbial shooter’s bounce. Flat shots that hit the rim tend to come off hard as rebounds on the opposite side of the rim.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I watched Aubrey play in HS on 4 occasions. Clearly she had the ability to score. What I did not see from Aubrey in HS was sustained effort on the defensive side of the ball, which I and others felt would limit her PT at UConn. But Aubrey’s defense has been an absolute revelation at UConn and it’s the primary reason she gets the PT she does.

In addition, Aubrey had the ball in her hands much of the time in HS, so her primary role was to score or facilitate the offense. At UConn, Aubrey plays off the ball much more, allowing her to crash the boards relentlessly.

Credit to Aubrey for embracing this new role. She will only get better and, eventually, start to knock down jump shots as well.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
CD finally met her match with Aubrey.

In her post game interview, CD says when you are not happy about something she did and you want to yell at her, she is such a nice kid and just has such a sweet smile, you forget why you are mad at her. :)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
We don’t know you - you’re just some guy on the Internet who came to the board without any credibility. And, no offense, but we’ve had some obnoxious Ossining fans here in the past that have made some pretty bold declarations about players from that area. So, no, we didn’t believe what you said.

Reaction Score

Griffin is averaging 7pts/game, I guess your definition of "scoring machine" is a lot different than mine? Griffin has played well so far, but the same limitations of her game still exist. She only scores off drives/fast breaks, or put backs, she is still very one dimensional at this point.

Reaction Score
Last game, I said who was that UConn team that showed up in the second half. This time, who was that UConn team that showed up in the first half. 25 points in the first half when it is common to see high 40's or 50's. However, almost 75 points in the second half seems like they had the fire and fury in them to score that amount and defend against OK.

I am impressed at the way they bounce back. In the last seconds of the game, correct me if I am wrong, Chrystin scored a layout running the court. This goes to show you that when that motor is running hot straight and normal, it is difficult to turn it out. I could see CD yell "no" don't score in the last seconds.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
what the hell are they doing whoever runs that place? This is a major event and the post game is part of it. So they put them at a construction site?

Sherri Coale in her post game presser was smirking at that. ' This is an interesting place'

Reaction Score
She has a shot, just needs to shoot in practice and have Geno give her the green light.
When the team needed rebounds, Anna got 11. When the team needed assists in early games, Anna got them. When the team needed a defensive burst, Anna was there (look at the games and try to remember when someone she was guarding scored, other than after a disputed block called a foul), if the time comes when the others have an off scoring game, want to bet Geno turns to her and says, “Less passes. More shots.”

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
When the team needed rebounds, Anna got 11. When the team needed assists in early games, Anna got them. When the team needed a defensive burst, Anna was there (look at the games and try to remember when someone she was guarding scored, other than after a disputed block called a foul), if the time comes when the others have an off scoring game, want to bet Geno turns to her and says, “Less passes. More shots.”

Anna is doing fine and will get alot better once she gets just a little bit less hard headed and set in her ways.

Not sure what game you are referring to with 11 rebounds?? She had 5. Her rebounding is goodd for a guard but her game yesterday was pedestrian which is fine when Liv plays all world

1577107515535.png

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the OK game:
  • Well Geno may not like it, but tomorrow when the new polls come out, UConn will likely be the #1 team in WBB yet again. I know it doesn’t feel like the Huskies should be the #1 team in the nation, but I guess just about every other top team could say the same.
  • Robertson is one scary 3-pt shooter with a really quick release.
  • Liv had a monster game today. When she plays like that it's almost impossible to beat the Huskies.
  • I think we’ve all been waiting to see UConn come out of the locker room at the half and take control of a game. Today that’s exactly what we saw.
  • Excellent defensive effort by the Huskies. The Sooners average 82 pts per game. Through 3 qtrs. UConn held them to just 35 pts and 53 for the game. With the clock winding down in the 3rd qtr, was there any doubt that Liv was going to reject Oklahoma’s last second shot?
  • I love how active Aubrey is whenever she’s on the floor. She just hunts rebounds and attacks the glass.
  • Finally, to BY’ers everywhere, HAVE A SAFE AND JOYOUS HOLIDAY SEASON!
As noted, there were a number of significant personal and team improvements in this game. This team is starting to remind me of the 2017 team that in beginning of year many thought was not talented enough to be top team (i.e. few trusted KLS and Collier to lead team). Still too early to predict where this year's relatively untested team will finish but like the progression.

Reaction Score
Few people know just how far Geno and Sharri go back. I read somewhere a while back that he recommended Coale for the OU head coach position when she was a candidate.
Never understood while Sharri has not been able to develop many Top 20 teams. View her as a not great, but solid coach with enough personality to recruit. You would think she could poach enough Texas kids to compliment what the entire state of Ok could bring.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
UConn won
UConn scored 97 points
UConn scored 62 points in the paint
UConn only took 3 FT's (only went 1 for 3 on the FT's so UConn scored 96 points from fg's, is that a record?)
Oklahoma had no match up for any UConn player that went into the paint. Not only that, I dont think they tried to match up. If they did someone would have a body on them or been fouled.
UConn won a game that helped with the stats, but IMO, did nothing to help them down the road when they will face teams that can match up. That isnt UConns fault, it is just they played an opponent that wasnt prepared or did not try that hard. UConn hit 62% of their 2 point shots, seems very high, but if you are not defended seems about right.
Not being a Holiday downer, just trying to be realistic from what I saw.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
UConn won
UConn scored 97 points
UConn scored 62 points in the paint
UConn only took 3 FT's (only went 1 for 3 on the FT's so UConn scored 96 points from fg's, is that a record?)
Oklahoma had no match up for any UConn player that went into the paint. Not only that, I dont think they tried to match up. If they did someone would have a body on them or been fouled.
UConn won a game that helped with the stats, but IMO, did nothing to help them down the road when they will face teams that can match up. That isnt UConns fault, it is just they played an opponent that wasnt prepared or did not try that hard. UConn hit 62% of their 2 point shots, seems very high, but if you are not defended seems about right.
Not being a Holiday downer, just trying to be realistic from what I saw.
Well my fine West Coast colleague, On this post we must part ways. I was at this game and the OK team was extremely physical inside with #3, #25 and #21 all mauling Liv every chance they could. It was actually frustrating the heck out of us fans many of whom were yelling at the Refs. #22 fouled out with her aggressive tactics but more should of. On the flip side, Liv became more aggressive as well and fouls were not called that could or should have been.
The first half was UConn not sure how to handle the physical play, the second half was run more, cut more, pass more and push back more.
Oklahoma was trying to push the pace more in the 4th Quarter due to being down for so much so that tempo led to our tempo of fast breaks and fast shots that CD alluded to and which while I understand CD, as a fan at the game it was more exciting to see up and down action than “stall tactics”.
This game was more than “stats” as their defensive pressure on the perimeter was awesome to watch. And I have to give props to @MilfordHusky who told me before the game about #30 Taylor Johnson Robertson (thanks @meyers7) and her shooting skills to which I was dubious. However UConn did try to front her all the time, worked hard on her but that’s kid can shoot-quick release, high arc and quiet but confident demeanor. She looks so unassuming but man can she play and shoot. THis type of player was good for UConn to go against. Didi Richards of Baylor will have her hands full.
You missed your mark today my friend. Good thing the game I still posted if you want to rewatch. ;)

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Anna is doing fine and will get alot better once she gets just a little bit less hard headed and set in her ways.

Not sure what game you are referring to with 11 rebounds?? She had 5. Her rebounding is goodd for a guard but her game yesterday was pedestrian which is fine when Liv plays all world

I believe Dokey was referring to Seton Hall. She had 11.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This game was more than “stats” as their defensive pressure on the perimeter was awesome to watch. And I have to give props to @MilfordHusky who told me before the game about #30 Taylor Johnson and her shooting skills to which I was dubious.
Taylor Robertson. (don't listen to everything Milford says :rolleyes: :D) And she's only a Sophomore. :eek:

Reaction Score
In Liv's post game, she said the OK team seemed tired and that pushed them to move and cut even more. That was even more true on defense,

Oklahoma certainly didn't look like a particularly athletic team to begin with...............

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom