Ohio State Game Thread | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Ohio State Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Stewart took the same pounding. I don't remember her being taken out of big games for such concerns. That's how she got tougher. She got her rest against weaker opponents as most likely the current starters will get their rest also.
Wrong! No way, Jose! Stewart rarely played more than 32 minutes. A couple of minute breather two or three times a game is everything to a player and makes a big difference. If the core 4 players played strictly 25 to 30 minutes, that would be amazing. Those are the kind of minutes that Stewart typically played most of her UConn career. I'm hopeful that eventually we get Bent and Kyla getting some decent minutes both to help make them better but also to save the core guys from burnout.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If the others aren't averaging 35 points, they're pretty close. Are you suggesting that there's no problem with this group playing the minutes they are???? If so, count yourself as in a very miniscule minority!
We really don't have to guess how many minutes are being played by each player. They are actually published here:
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2016-2017/teamcume.html#TEAM.IND
There is no problem and I never mind being in a correct very miniscule minority. UCONN committed to a very good schedule in the first 10 games of the season. The minutes played by the starters thus far is mainly a function of that schedule and the inability of some bench players to contribute meaningful minutes THIS EARLY IN THE SEASON. Besides you declaring yourself "The Major" what baffles me is how much you fail to comprehend this simple point-Geno is not going to play players until he thinks they are ready-They are not ready. A more complex issue is the impact on team chemistry, efficiency, & results when even when 1 "unready" player is put on the floor with 4 players that are ready.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm a little confused here. Geno says his team need to get it's collective ass beat, and soon and we all nod our heads in agreement. Has a certain coach-y logic to it. Yet earlier today we hear that his dazzling freshmen (and I know you all remember the praise heaped onto them by no less than Geno himself) can't play until he has absolute trust in them - which sounds a whole lot like someone who is more interested in the win column than not. Something isn't in alignment here. I hear about how these games don't matter until tournament time rolls around..but we can't risk resting the 'stars' because the rest of the team can't be trusted?
Don't forget Geno is from Philly, meaning a certain amount of translation might be required for the masses.
The sentence immediately before the one you are hung up on was where he said " I hope these ranked teams are as good as everyone says they are because .... ass beat.
Guess what? These team aren't as good as everyone says they are =UCONN is not going to get their asses beat! Did you see the way Geno strutted into South Bend. Did you see him sweating at halftime of OSU or was he smiling like the cat that just ate the canary. Did a 6 Point lead justify that smile against the # 12 team in the country. Trust he going to walk into MD game same way. He knows what the rest of us haven't figured out yet but since we can't just FF to March he has to keep us entertained.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Don't forget Geno is from Philly, meaning a certain amount of translation might be required for the masses.
The sentence immediately before the one you are hung up on was where he said " I hope these ranked teams are as good as everyone says they are because .... ass beat.
Guess what? These team aren't as good as everyone says they are =UCONN is not going to get their asses beat! Did you see the way Geno strutted into South Bend. Did you see him sweating at halftime of OSU or was he smiling like the cat that just ate the canary. Did a 6 Point lead justify that smile against the # 12 team in the country. Trust he going to walk into MD game same way. He knows what the rest of us haven't figured out yet but since we can't just FF to March he has to keep us entertained.

cd269d3a2da4d02b7daeaf9994ec8f4f.jpg

Don't look now NCAA, but there's something called a Geno behind you.

Reaction Score
How often did Stewie take that pounding for 35-40 minutes? How many games in a row? How often was Stewie taken off the the big 5 and placed on the smaller 4 or 3 while Dolson or Tuck took the big 5? Not an option for Geno this time around.

You keep saying they can't keep taking the pounding, yet they do and they keep winning. And soon we'll have the AAC. And if we lose a game or two during the reg season, is the season over? Fact is, the style they play has been tremendous success and they'll have few games left before the NCAA's in which they are really challenged. So I don't agree with your overall "fear."

Nor do I think those are right for criticizing Geno's overall strategy this year. You look at the history of what he's done, and see what he is doing this year, then there is criticism he should be doing something different when he is telling us that players like Molly and Kyla aren't ready? We're supposed to know how he is overall looking at the game is wrong when in fact we haven't lost a game for 85 straight? He's making history and yet his overall view of the game and minute distribution is wrong? Huh??????????????????? All because we watched a few minutes of Klya Irwin play? Huh???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I may be in the minuscule minority but I expect starters to play big (30+) minutes in competitive games (e.g., UMd, SC, USF, etc.) and fewer (>25) against weaker opposition (most of the AAC). Between games (and travel) rigorous 2+ hour practices will continue to be the norm.

Players' health and fitness will be constantly monitored by coaches, trainers, and medical staff. Injuries may still occur despite every precaution. We hope for none, of course.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If the others aren't averaging 35 points, they're pretty close. Are you suggesting that there's no problem with this group playing the minutes they are???? If so, count yourself as in a very miniscule minority!

I don't think coco is in a minority at all. I think you are. Because if you think those minutes are going to maintain once we are in the AAC I want what you're smoking. Therefore the overall minutes will go down.

Reaction Score
We really don't have to guess how many minutes are being played by each player. They are actually published here:
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2016-2017/teamcume.html#TEAM.IND
There is no problem and I never mind being in a correct very miniscule minority. UCONN committed to a very good schedule in the first 10 games of the season. The minutes played by the starters thus far is mainly a function of that schedule and the inability of some bench players to contribute meaningful minutes THIS EARLY IN THE SEASON. Besides you declaring yourself "The Major" what baffles me is how much you fail to comprehend this simple point-Geno is not going to play players until he thinks they are ready-They are not ready. A more complex issue is the impact on team chemistry, efficiency, & results when even when 1 "unready" player is put on the floor with 4 players that are ready.

I agree 100%- you and Kib - I'm with ya here.

Remember with Stewie we had to hear even beyond her freshman year that there was "fear" she'd get "beat up" by power forwards, as result there was a crowd that suggested she should be used as mostly a small forward.

JordyG

Reaction Score
You keep saying they can't keep taking the pounding, yet they do and they keep winning. And soon we'll have the AAC. And fi we lsoe a game or two during the reg season, is the season over. Fact is, the style they play has been tremendous success and they'll have few games left before the NCAA's in which they are really challenged. SO I don't agree with your overall "fear."

Nor do I think those are right for criticizing Geno's overall strategy this year. You look at the history of what he's done, and see what he is doing this year, then there is criticism he should be doing something different when he is telling us that players like Molly and Kyla aren't ready? We're supposed to know how he is overall looking at the game is wrong when in fact we haven't lost a game for 85 straight? He's making history and yet his overall view of the game and minute distribution is wrong? Huh??????????????????? All because we watched a few minutes of Klya Irwin play? Huh???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You keep saying they can't keep taking the pounding, yet they do and they keep winning. And soon we'll have the AAC. And fi we lsoe a game or two during the reg season, is the season over. Fact is, the style they play has been tremendous success and they'll have few games left before the NCAA's in which they are really challenged. SO I don't agree with your overall "fear."

Ten games does not even half a season make. Keep your enthusiasm and your good karma. And who is questioning Geno's strategy? This is the team he has, and in reality he has no choice. As I've said before, it is my hope that Kyla and Molly step up, not for the team to take a step down.
I may be in the minuscule minority but I expect starters to play big (30+) minutes in competitive games (e.g., UMd, SC, USF, etc.) and fewer (>25) against weaker opposition (most of the AAC). Between games (and travel) rigorous 2+ hour practices will be the norm.
Players' health and fitness will be constantly monitored by coaches, trainers, and medical staff. Injuries may still occur despite every precaution. We hope for none, of course.
Yes, during the big games and during the NCAA's, but not every game during the regular season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm a worrier by nature, so no surprise that I'd say this. I agree with those who think these young women cannot play 35 minutes a game, day in and day out. Yes, the Chong problem is causing some of it, but even with her, it's still not a deep rotation at all. I'd feel better if one of the other freshmen (besides Crystal, I mean) could play some minutes here and there. Not likely to happen, but still....

I disagree with the BYer above who suggested the team is "scary good." Last year's team was scary good. This year's is better than most of us thought it would be, granted, but is seriously flawed by a lack of depth and somewhat flawed by a lack of first-team height. Most nights those things won't matter, but let's see how they do against Maryland and later, SC, as well as (as one BYer above mentioned) South Florida. I worry about the conference tournament and especially the Big Dance. Will they have enough left in the tank to carry them through? Sure hope so.
By beating ND and Baylor this team has already proven more than they can possibly prove by beating MD and SC-a simple look at the rankings would tell you that.
South Florida??? Really ???? You are right, you do worry a lot/ too much perhaps.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I agree 100%- you and Kib - I'm with ya here.

Remember with Stewie we had to hear even beyond her freshman year that there was "fear" she'd get "beat up" by power forwards, as result there was a crowd that suggested she should be used as mostly a small forward.
Another specious argument. And how many minutes did Stewie average during her career? Year after year she averaged about 20 minutes a game. These girls are averaging close to 80% more than that.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Another specious argument. And how many minutes did Stewie average during her career? Year after year she averaged about 20 minutes a game. These girls are averaging close to 80% more than that.
No. No and Hell No.
Stewie Mins per game.

15-16 Season 29.1 Mins
14-15 Season 28.3
13-14 Season 30.5
12-13 Season 23.7

JordyG

Reaction Score
No. No and Hell No.
Stewie Mins per game.

15-16 Season 29.1 Mins
14-15 Season 28.3
13-14 Season 30.5
12-13 Season 23.7
Yes clearly here you are right and I am wrong. I however stand by my argument about these players on this team at this time are playing more minutes and are under greater risk. Again, during her first three years she avoided the pounding big 5/s would hand her because of Dolson and occasionally Stokes. The last season she was older and her body was more mature. Still, when there was a big 5 that job would often go to Tuck and/or they would switch off. Where is that luxury this year? Stewie would average far less during games against teams like Chattanooga or LSU and Geno would play her during games against ND skewing that average. Geno hasn't that advantage this year.

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score
No. No and Hell No.
Stewie Mins per game.

15-16 Season 29.1 Mins
14-15 Season 28.3
13-14 Season 30.5
12-13 Season 23.7
Another advantage that Stewie had was the ability to avoid the fray, stand behind the players and the banging and simply leap over her opponent. Although Gabby is a great leaper that was no advantage against K-State, Florida State, Baylor and Texas.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes clearly here you are right and I am wrong. I however stand by my argument about these players on this team at this time are playing more minutes and are under greater risk. Again, during her first three years she avoided the pounding big 5/s would hand her because of Dolson and occasionally Stokes. The last season she was older and her body was more mature. Still, when there was a big 5 that job would often go to Tuck and/or they would switch off. Where is that luxury this year? Stewie would average far less during games against teams like Chattanooga or LSU and Geno would play her during games against ND skewing that average. Geno hasn't that advantage this year.

That luxury ( if you want to call it that) is named Natalie Butler. Since you brought up Kiah Stokes, Kiah averaged 18.3 Mins/game during her senior year.
Just so I'm not doing all the research for both of us, how many minutes per game is Natalie averaging so far this year?

JordyG

Reaction Score
That luxury ( if you want to call it that) is named Natalie Butler. Since you brought up Kiah Stokes, Kiah averaged 18.3 Mins/game during her senior year.
Just so I'm not doing all the research for both of us, how many minutes per game is Natalie averaging so far this year?
Actually the debate is not whether Natalie is getting enough minutes, its whether the big 3 are getting too much. For the record that's 16.5. About right for a big three all of which are averaging close to 30.

Reaction Score
Ten games does not even half a season make. Keep your enthusiasm and your good karma. And who is questioning Geno's strategy? This is the team he has, and in reality he has not choice. As I've said before, it is my hope that Kyla and Molly step up, not for the team to take a step down.

Yes, during the big games and during the NCAA's, but not every game during the regular season.

Please read all the posts below from this thread alone not to mention (but I will) the many other threads in which posters say fro example - "molly should be playing more" or "We should work more of the offense into Butler." They questioned Geno's strategy in these cases him (and the people that liked the posts). Now I have to say buzzyboy is being super-respectful to Geno overall. And very complimentary as well and to all the players. ANd his 8:54 post is showing that he understands Geno not playing them. At least it seems that way. But then at 9:07 - his post is clearly "urging" Geno to play other players for the good of the team. THAT is questioning his strategy as are the others. Titeltown was definitely by all but saying Geno was blowing it because he isn't subbing.. One of your posts on this thread skirts the line hen you say Kyla and Molly must get significant minutes. I won't put it into the classification of criticizing Geno's strategy because "significant minutes" could mean 3 minutes in a big game. Or the next game vs Nebraksa we could blwo them out by 40-50 points and they play quite a bit. Or once we get into the AAC - they will play more. But anyhow here are the posts that you asked for questioning Geno's strategy - other than buzzyboy's 8:54 post which almost contradicts his 9:07 post - I don't understand why he felt a need urge Geno to play players in which he has been told that Geno simply doesn't trust them yet. He acknowledged the understanding of that point yet he urges Geno to still play them. You don't classify that (and other posts below) as questioning Geno's strategy? And you don't think others have questioned Geno's strategy this year on this site as well? My post that you responded to was also questioning more than just the one game.

From titletown at 7:46 PM Don't call a TO Geno whatever you do. Give them another 11-0 run in the last minute because we are tired.

From buzzyboy at 7:59 PM I can't imagine that Bent wouldn't be a bit of an asset to just give Dangerfield or Nurse a breather. I can't imagine her doing any worse than what happened in the last two minutes of the half where we were outscored 8-0

From buzzyboy at 8:37 pm. The poster warbler 13 likes this comment: I'm thinking maybe the entire team has got tired legs. Bringing in Bent or someone else to give these kids a breather sure wouldn't hurt.

From buzzyboy 8:54: The new girls (other than Dangerfield) must really be practicing horribly for Geno not to have any faith in them in this kind of circumstance. It's obvious based on the sloppy play and bad shooting that the team is affected by the amount of minutes they're playing. Pretty frustrating.

From buzzyboy at 9:07 pm. NOI33 and Kaizen liked the post: I respect that UConn is wonderfully conditioned but they can't continue to play 38 to 40 minutes a night and not have it have some impact on them. Come on, Geno, give the other kids a chance in game conditions. How bad must they be playing in practice not to give them some opportunities to play, particularly in the latter part of the fourth quarter????

JordyG

Reaction Score
Please read all the posts below from this thread alone not to mention (but I will) the many other threads in which posters say fro example - "molly should be playing more" or "We should work more of the offense into Butler." They questioned Geno's strategy in these cases him (and the people that liked the posts). Now I have to say buzzyboy is being super-respectful to Geno overall. And very complimentary as well and to all the players. ANd his 8:54 post is showing that he understands Geno not playing them. At least it seems that way. But then at 9:07 - his post is clearly "urging" Geno to play other players for the good of the team. THAT is questioning his strategy as are the others. Titeltown was definitely by all but saying Geno was blowing it because he isn't subbing.. One of your posts on this thread skirts the line hen you say Kyla and Molly must get significant minutes. I won't put it into the classification of criticizing Geno's strategy because "significant minutes" could mean 3 minutes in a big game. Or the next game vs Nebraksa we could blwo them out by 40-50 points and they play quite a bit. Or once we get into the AAC - they will play more. But anyhow here are the posts that you asked for questioning Geno's strategy - other than buzzyboy's 8:54 post which almost contradicts his 9:07 post - I don't understand why he felt a need urge Geno to play players in which he has been told that Geno simply doesn't trust them yet. He acknowledged the understanding of that point yet he urges Geno to still play them. You don't classify that (and other posts below) as questioning Geno's strategy? And you don't think others have questioned Geno's strategy this year on this site as well? My post that you responded to was also questioning more than just the one game.

From titletown at 7:46 PM Don't call a TO Geno whatever you do. Give them another 11-0 run in the last minute because we are tired.

From buzzyboy at 7:59 PM I can't imagine that Bent wouldn't be a bit of an asset to just give Dangerfield or Nurse a breather. I can't imagine her doing any worse than what happened in the last two minutes of the half where we were outscored 8-0

From buzzyboy at 8:37 pm. The poster warbler 13 likes this comment: I'm thinking maybe the entire team has got tired legs. Bringing in Bent or someone else to give these kids a breather sure wouldn't hurt.

From buzzyboy 8:54: The new girls (other than Dangerfield) must really be practicing horribly for Geno not to have any faith in them in this kind of circumstance. It's obvious based on the sloppy play and bad shooting that the team is affected by the amount of minutes they're playing. Pretty frustrating.

From buzzyboy at 9:07 pm. NOI33 and Kaizen liked the post: I respect that UConn is wonderfully conditioned but they can't continue to play 38 to 40 minutes a night and not have it have some impact on them. Come on, Geno, give the other kids a chance in game conditions. How bad must they be playing in practice not to give them some opportunities to play, particularly in the latter part of the fourth quarter????
When I said "who" I meant I'm not questioning his strategy. I'm not a coach and I don't see the players every day, nor am I intimate with what they can or cannot do.

Reaction Score

I disagree

Please look at the links below: Steiw's frosh year 23.4 minutes. Then 30.5, then 28.3, then 29.1.

When KML played with Stewie, KML was the sf. She didn't guard posts. Also when Lou played with Steiw, Lou wasn't guarding the low posts. And while the situation isn't exactly the same, STeiw predominantly played the power forwards in which we would hear often in her early years "she'll get beat up by the power forwards so she should be used more as a small forward." While she did play some wing, the points some would make on here that that should be her #1 position because of getting beat up so much imo was way over-exaggerated.

This team no doubt has more risk of wearing down -- but you must realize after two more games, they won't need to be playing the 35-40 minutes per game that you were so worried about on this thread. Si when you KNOW this, you KNOW our conference will not be much - why are you so worried they'll wear down? There minutes will decrease overall. Heck-- Geno BENCHED TUCK AND STEWIE. He could bench a star player here or there too if he benched them. Or is it that you're scared we might lose vs Md or SC? Sure we might lose but we could just as easily lose by not playing well. We're not supposed to be going on these insane streaks. This is HISTORY.

******an off-subject post -- for those that get nervous and don't enjoy being nervous this year. I can't understand that. You know we are going to be amazing next year. Enjoy the moment now!!! What a great great great performance these great ball players are giving us!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the other teams that have the pressure. Every rebound from Nat I love. Every assist from Gabby - and it goes on-and-on.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2012-2013/teamcume.html

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2013-2014/teamcume.html

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2014-2015/teamcume.html

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2015-2016/teamcume.html

JordyG

Reaction Score
I disagree

Please look at the links below: Steiw's frosh year 23.4 minutes. Then 30.5, then 28.3, then 29.1.

When KML played with Stewie, KML was the sf. She didn't guard posts. Also when Lou played with Steiw, Lou wasn't guarding the low posts. And while the situation isn't exactly the same, STeiw predominantly played the power forwards in which we would hear often in her early years "she'll get beat up by the power forwards so she should be used more as a small forward." While she did play some wing, the points some would make on here that that should be her #1 position because of getting beat up so much imo was way over-exaggerated.

This team no doubt has more risk of wearing down -- but you must realize after two more games, they won't need to be playing the 35-40 minutes per game that you were so worried about on this thread. Si when you KNOW this, you KNOW our conference will not be much - why are you so worried they'll wear down? There minutes will decrease overall. Heck-- Geno BENCHED TUCK AND STEWIE. He could bench a star player here or there too if he benched them. Or is it that you're scared we might lose vs Md or SC? Sure we might lose but we could just as easily lose by not playing well. We're not supposed to be going on these insane streaks. This is HISTORY.

******an off-subject post -- for those that get nervous and don't enjoy being nervous this year. I can't understand that. You know we are going to be amazing next year. Enjoy the moment now!!! What a great great great performance these great ball players are giving us!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the other teams that have the pressure. Every rebound from Nat I love. Every assist from Gabby - and it goes on-and-on.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2012-2013/teamcume.html

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2013-2014/teamcume.html

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2014-2015/teamcume.html

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2015-2016/teamcume.html
Unfortunately you're already too late to reprimand me on this point. However I stand by my other arguments dealing with those minutes and the minutes the big 3 are getting. See my response above. Yes, I also hope those minutes will decrease. But who knows?

Reaction Score
I'm a worrier by nature, so no surprise that I'd say this. I agree with those who think these young women cannot play 35 minutes a game, day in and day out. Yes, the Chong problem is causing some of it, but even with her, it's still not a deep rotation at all. I'd feel better if one of the other freshmen (besides Crystal, I mean) could play some minutes here and there. Not likely to happen, but still....

I disagree with the BYer above who suggested the team is "scary good." Last year's team was scary good. This year's is better than most of us thought it would be, granted, but is seriously flawed by a lack of depth and somewhat flawed by a lack of first-team height. Most nights those things won't matter, but let's see how they do against Maryland and later, SC, as well as (as one BYer above mentioned) South Florida. I worry about the conference tournament and especially the Big Dance. Will they have enough left in the tank to carry them through? Sure hope so.

We just have issues of what the words "scary good" mean. A team that has beaten 9 out of 10 opponents by 10 or more and played without a doubt the toughest schedule in all of wcbb is "scary good." They could lose and still be "scary good." IMO one of the greatest college teams of all-time was Phi Slamma Jamma. Jim Valvano's Wolfpack knocked them off but that Houston team was "Scary good." Or when Duke beat The Runnin Rebs. Or When the UCONN Men beat Duke for their 1st title. Duke was "scary good." If you lose - you still can be "Scary good."

When we won the titles a few years while ND was right there with us, - ND was "scary good" weren't they? This team is a threat to win a title. THAT makes them SCARY GOOD imo.

So you don't think the player's minutes drop quite a bit overall once they enter the AAC?

Reaction Score

It will be tougher no doubt yes I agree -- we don't have the superstar combined with experience of those other teams too. But again - we are in a soft conference. So you do acknowledge Stewie not playing big minutes vs the weaker teams, why don't you also acknowledge this will happen in the AAC?

Right now we have the toughest sched in wcbb. It will drop during the season after we play MD, won't it? We'll have one tough game vs SC and then maybe one or two games in our conference someone gives us a scare or two. Our players will improve enough that we will be the without a doubt the best team in the conference, right? SO why not look at things the same way in terms of Geno playing Stewie in big games skews the average, then why not say the same thing after the MD game?

Reaction Score
Unfortunately you're already too late to reprimand me on this point. However I stand by my other arguments dealing with those minutes and the minutes the big 3 are getting. See my response above. Yes, I also hope those minutes will decrease. But who knows?

Barring injury ---I do. I just don't think you can predict injuries beucase of minutes. I recall Mel Thomas just turning her leg / coming to a quick stop etc.

What more can I say? -- I'm 100% confident their minutes will decrease in the AAC.

So if I'm 100% confident -- how should I express that to those that aren't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom