Reaction Score
Key points from tonight:

85th win in a row

Lowest score this season for OSU

Lou and Pheeea now averaging 20 ppg

Gabby did everything

No injuries

Free WINGS!
Gabby's stat sheet was very, very impressive!

Reaction Score
If the reason we miss Chong is she can be trusted to give the others a rest without screwing up too badly, then shouldn't that be her role - just go ahead and start Crystal Dangerfield from here on out?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
If Geno were to give Gabby 30 minutes or so against one of the AAC teams, she just might notch a quad-double.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I used to think she was anti UConn but have come to realize Antonelli just wants the rest of WCB to catch up to UConn and is frustrated that it ain't happening. She appreciates UConn for their excellence but also sees them as blocking her dream of parity lol. She does sound desperate at times for someone, anyone to beat UConn and, of course, that ain't gonna go over too well with UConn fans.

During her broadcast work yesterday (at Auburn) she spoke at some length about this very thing, and she even acknowledged those who accuse her of being a "Connecticut hater"; but she said something like "Shame on all the rest of us" for not raising their level of play to match UConn.

She's a very vocal advocate for improved execution (particularly on the offensive end) and, ever the marketer, she's constantly soapboxing for the need for WBB to put out a higher-quality product on the court.

Reaction Score
If the reason we miss Chong is she can be trusted to give the others a rest without screwing up too badly, then shouldn't that be her role - just go ahead and start Crystal Dangerfield from here on out?
I would like to see all the bench players get some more time. I hope once we're into AAC play the starters can go 20 minutes then let the bench take over. Maybe some of the players that seem tentative can actually get better if they get minutes in real games?

Reaction Score
I would like to see all the bench players get some more time. I hope once we're into AAC play the starters can go 20 minutes then let the bench take over. Maybe some of the players that seem tentative can actually get better if they get minutes in real games?
That will happen. Just because Geno may not be able to trust Molly against ranked teams doesn't mean he can't trust her against East Carolina. There's a plan.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Gabby's stat sheet was very, very impressive!
It is. Unfortunately.... she does not stand out in the one category that most people relate to which is scoring. Gabby is leading the #1 team in the country in Rebounds, Steals & assist. The rebounds and steals will get her DPOY consideration but not likely to get her AA consideration. On the other hand if KLS and Napheesa finish the season averaging 20PPG, they will be virtual locks for AA honors.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Nothing surprising. Gabby filled her sheet brilliantly; sophs were incredibly productive.
But Crystal: played 33 minutes with only 2 turnovers. Given how many minutes she'll be playing, that is a wonderful number. Not to mention her defense and her scoring efficiency. That to me is the understated promising takeaway from this game.

Bags, you stole my thunder. I was going to say that. First a question, then a statement.........................WHO DAT???? :eek: And then there were two (Maryland & South Carolina). I'm not so sure either of these teams (they were both watching this game) are real confident going in that they have any better chance of defeating UConn than any of the other top 10 teams that have tried. Even with an extremely short bench, Geno was able to vanquish Ohio State with 6 players. The Husky starters have proven that they can go the distance if needed. Tonight, they were needed.

Several observations tonight -
I thought Dangerfield played very well. I know Geno was concerned about her potential to turn the ball over, but tonight, she only had 2. I thought she played extremely well against a top 12 team.
2. Collier and Samuelson brought their hard hats and lunch pales to work this evening. Another double-double for Collier, what else is new. That's starting to become S.O.P. for her.
Gabby was Gabby tonight, playing 34 minutes and staying out of foul (2) trouble. That's a BIG time adjust for her. It appears that she's turned the corner on adjusting her play to avoid fouling.
3. Kudos also to Kia and Butler. Butler came in and provided the starter with a blow. Kia mean while played 39 minutes and anchored the back court to perfection.
4. Ohio State was only 6 of 23 beyond the arc, and 3 of 9 from the stripe. UConn was able to defend the Buckeyes without fouling them, while UConn was 18 for 23, that was huge.
5. That shot Mitchell hit from way downtown that she stared at to close out the half was awesome. :eek: UConn made some serious adjustments at the half. Mitchell had 19 points after 2 quarters, but finished with only 23. When she's in rhythm and on a roll, you can't stop her. I figured she'd score more that 8 points this time around. All you can hope to do is slow her down.
6. UConn slowly pulled away in the 3rd quarter like they usually do.
7. I would guess that 90% of the doubters that thought UConn would be vulnerable this season, and lose a few games, have all gone home. This team looks scary good right now, and they're getting better as the season progresses.
8. By no means should Chong rush to get back on the court, but........................! :rolleyes:
9. Looking ahead just a bit, UConn plays USF on the 10th of January at the XL Center. I would not over look THIS team by any means. They suffered their first lost to an unranked Long Beach State (8-4) team this afternoon in the "Play 4 Kay" shootout tournament in Las Vegas. USF is just the kind of team that will sneak up on you and "thrill" you. You know how bad they want to beat UConn, especially on the Huskies' home court.
10. Geno is coaching his a** off this year!!
11. It sure is fun being a UConn women's basketball fan - heh heh heh. ;)
12. 10-0/85 in a row, and rolling down hill. There is no doubt about it, it's the most wonder time of the year. :)

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Thanks! Being in Florida, I don't get to read the Connecticut papers. I sure hope that trust happens soon because I don't think it's healthy keeping these girls playing those minutes because it surely increases the possibility of injury. That could be disastrous.
I post daily news links to articles on the team. The post is tacked to the top of the board.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I've said it before and I'm going to keep saying it. UConn cannot continue to run these girls 35-40 mins. a game. They'll either get injured or be legless by the time the Dance starts. Kyla, Molly and Crystal Dangerfield must get significant minutes from here on in. Re-watch the game and take a look at the pounding Collier and Lou are taking.

Reaction Score
I just got home from the game - it wasn't exactly the prettiest game we've seen, but a win is a win and I'll gladly take this.

My main concern with this team is simply mental and physical fatigue. They look run down, and some of them have taken quite the beating against some of these teams - I don't at all blame them and applaud them for coming this far given the circumstances. Their resilience and ability to push forward when they look like they want to collapse is what makes me so proud to be a fan of this team. They're truly playing team ball and are constantly pushing and encouraging each other to keep going and get better. KLS has played 39 or 40 minutes over the last 3 games. Kia has played 38 to 40 over the last 4, if I remember correctly. The fact that they're still standing after this is a feat in itself. Overall, it wasn't the prettiest game, but I can't help but be pleased and impressed every time this team takes the court just because they're... the embodiment of 'fighters' this season.

I wish Chong the best recovery! She's definitely missed, and I can't wait to see her back around. I would say that things are definitely smoother when she's in the game. But alas, I'd rather her be completely healthy than rushing to get back. Their health and wellbeing - mental and physical - is more important than the game.

Reaction Score
OSU has to be the most undisciplined, unfocused, poorly coached team that is somehow in the top 15 that I've seen in a long time. I'd have to say the highlight of their half baked AAU offense came with them down 18 with a few minutes left when 4 players stood around and watched their superstar dribble about 20 feet with her head down and forearm out and run over her defender. A lot of talent being wasted out there.

Reaction Score
Ohio St had their chances to make a comeback in the 4th quarter. UConn players were gassed, but OSU couldn't take advantage. Kelsey Mitchell can keep you in a game, but also take you out of a game. It seems OSU doesn't know how to run offense without Kelsey taking a shot. They don't look for other players except late in the shot clock. If I was OSU, the ball would have gone into Mavunga on every possession and then pass it out to Kelsey if Mavunga wasn't in a position to score. They could have owned the low post.

If that's not what they've been all year how can you expect it would be successful vs the number 1 ranked team? If that was their offense - then they'd double her more and get more turnovers because she doesn't look like she can pass. Leading into this game she had 6 assists and 19 turnovers. She made a few post moves and you're assuming that the team could change it's entire structure and she could also be a facilitator and beta the number 1 team on their home court? No way.

Reaction Score
I've said it before and I'm going to keep saying it. UConn cannot continue to run these girls 35-40 mins. a game. They'll either get injured or be legless by the time the Dance starts. Kyla, Molly and Crystal Dangerfield must get significant minutes from here on in. Re-watch the game and take a look at the pounding Collier and Lou are taking.
Yep especially Lou who also has a knack for stepping on and getting stepped on by other players. Plus one of our other starters has knees like Tuck and a recurring hamstring issue.

Reaction Score
Loved the 3rd quarter but it sure seemed like outside of Pheesa, no one had any legs in that last quarter and UConn's shooting percentage was horrid. I respect that UConn is wonderfully conditioned but they can't continue to play 38 to 40 minutes a night and not have it have some impact on them. Come on, Geno, give the other kids a chance in game conditions. How bad must they be playing in practice not to give them some opportunities to play, particularly in the latter part of the fourth quarter????

They don't have to. The AAC is coming up.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't lose any sleep over this. Outside of MD and SC the schedule gets soft enough to play some of the cheerleaders.

Reaction Score
How bad must it be playing with Kelsey Mitchell. When the game is close no one else shoots. When the game is decided she gives up the ball and doesn't even try.

Good observation. She is a great shooter, but there is a lot of standing around by the other 4 players while she dribbles around looking for her shot. Crystal Dangerfield really frustrated her in the third quarter.

Reaction Score

They should be playing more than 20 minutes together. Not 35 for sure - but definitely not 20.

Reaction Score
i got tired of listening to the announcers talk about how Mitchell looks to pass the ball..blah blah blah...if that's lookin to pass, I hate see what they consider a ball hog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom