Oh dear, Tiffany | The Boneyard

Oh dear, Tiffany

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Forward Tiffany Clarke, who led the Commodores with 16 points against the Hawks, was named to the All-SEC first team. The senior averages 16.7 points per game and will have to face the Husky front court.

"Being that a lot of the teams in the SEC are top 25, we play teams like UConn," Clarke said. "I think playing in the SEC is going to prepare us for what we're going to face. I don't think we'll see anything that we haven't seen before."

I think Syracuse said something like that before a game once....

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What is she supposed to say going into a big game? We have no chance? It was a nice dance, but the music stops tomorrow night?
I would hope she believes what she says but I don't see that there's a great wisdom in providing bulletin board material. Usually seniors are a bit more tactful. See Jasmine Lister's response to the same question:

"I love to take the opportunity that's placed in front of me, but once again, it's just another game, just another way to get our name out there, for us to win to advance," Lister said. "I don't see [UConn's pressure] as a huge obstacle, but [Bria Hartley's] a great player and their whole team are great players, but I think that I'm ready and well-prepared."

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Bingo, Nan, all bulletin board material.

JS

Reaction Score
What is she supposed to say going into a big game? We have no chance? It was a nice dance, but the music stops tomorrow night?
Well, that's theoretically a choice. Just not in the real world.

Other choices:

1. Talk up the opponent: "UConn's a great team. We'll have to play our very best and see what happens."

2. Talk up both teams: "UConn's obviously outstanding, and we think we're pretty good too. Looking forward to a great game."

3. Talk down the opponent. "UConn's nothing special. We play teams like them all the time in our wonderful SEC."

Choice 3 has several disadvantages, including that a) it's untrue, b) it sounds like hubris, c) it'll make you look bad if [when] the worst happens, and d) it's bulletin board material.

Other than that, it's great.

Famous example of 3c, and of a type with the instant remarks: "We signed six Nykesha Saleses.''

And after Nykesha Sales broke school and Big East records with a marvelous 46-point performance . . . Sunday, Tara's words were ripe to be hurled back at her like warm oranges left in the Florida sun. -- Jeff Jacobs

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Why do you assume that Kelly will be guarding Tiffany Clark? That seems suboptimal to me. I would expect Kelly to have Jasmine Lister (their best perimeter scorer) while Stef has Clark. If Stef can deal effectively with Chiney Ogwumike, I would expect her to have few problems with Clark (who is, by the way, foul-prone).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes, it was a mistake, but not one that will change the outcome. It's not like UConn was going to sleepwalk through this until she posted this. Keep in mind that these kids likely have less time in front of the press then the kids from the major programs and also keep in mind that their coach has been feeding them a study diet of "We can do this and here's how." It's always interesting to compare these to humble pie quotes after the game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She could have expressed confidence using better wording.

The SEC has a handful of good teams, but probably no very good teams.

Vandy has not seen a center with Stef's versatility, Kelly's defense, Kaleena's shooting, Moriah's speed, etc. They will not be prepared for the blitz.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I think that fans place a lot more importance on the effect of "bulletin board material" than coaches do. Easy for me to say, of course, since I don't have access to team bulletin boards. Or, for that matter, game plans, practices, or coach/player interactions.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This evening for Big Dance on the NCAA Red Carpet Miss Clarke will be wearing a Faris design. It is a gown providing complete coverage and little breathing room.
The post of the week. After 10,000 posts, Ice has a good one. ;)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The post of the week. After 10,000 posts, Ice has a good one. ;)
My posting is like my singing. I come from the shotgun school of singing, loud and scattered. My choir director is amazed by my ability to hit all pitches simultaneously; or did she say miss all pitches simultaneously.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

Other choices:

1. Talk up the opponent: "UConn's a great team. We'll have to play our very best and see what happens."

2. Talk up both teams: "UConn's obviously outstanding, and we think we're pretty good too. Looking forward to a great game."

3. Talk down the opponent. "UConn's nothing special. We play teams like them all the time in our wonderful SEC."

Choice 3 has several disadvantages, including that a) it's untrue, b) it sounds like hubris, c) it'll make you look bad if [when] the worst happens, and d) it's bulletin board material.

Famous example of 3c, and of a type with the instant remarks: "We signed six Nykesha Saleses.''

And after Nykesha Sales broke school and Big East records with a marvelous 46-point performance . . . Sunday, Tara's words were ripe to be hurled back at her like warm oranges left in the Florida sun. -- Jeff Jacobs

JS: This post you put together should be copied by coaching staffs and placed into the hands of all players as required reading! Perfectly put.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think that fans place a lot more importance on the effect of "bulletin board material" than coaches do. Easy for me to say, of course, since I don't have access to team bulletin boards.
I doubt they even use bulletin boards anymore. Emails, tweets, IM's, whiteboards, but not bulletin boards. ;)

Reaction Score
I doubt they even use bulletin boards anymore. Emails, tweets, IM's, whiteboards, but not bulletin boards. ;)

Yeah, you need to stay after school and clap erasers for that one, JS...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Forward Tiffany Clarke, who led the Commodores with 16 points against the Hawks, was named to the All-SEC first team. The senior averages 16.7 points per game and will have to face the Husky front court.

"Being that a lot of the teams in the SEC are top 25, we play teams like UConn," Clarke said. "I think playing in the SEC is going to prepare us for what we're going to face. I don't think we'll see anything that we haven't seen before."

She's going to be in for one rude awakening! Just ask the team who won the SEC - aTm - how dominating UCONN can be. I seriously hope we bury them. By 40.

Reaction Score

I had a good laugh when I first saw that statement from Tiffany. No Tiffany you have never played a team like UCONN.

Reaction Score
I'm from the Lou Holtz school, every opponent has Bo, Knute, RGIII, Deacon, LT and their friends and we are lucky to get a chance to play them.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I'm from the Lou Holtz school, every opponent has Bo, Knute, RGIII, Deacon, LT and their friends and we are lucky to get a chance to play them.

I'll bet that Melanie Balcomb is thinking parallel thoughts and warning her team about that legendary UConn coach and his extraordinary guard. Some kid named Bria Hartley.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Miss Clarke is about to have a very long night.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score

Other choices:

And the Winner is.........3c!

We are Godzilla Miss Clark, you are Japan!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

I was actually thinking of the Syracuse player that said "anyone" on her team could guard Maya Moore. That was the night that Maya made 10 three pointers on her way to a 40 point night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom