Ogwumike is the WNBA POY | The Boneyard

Ogwumike is the WNBA POY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
WNBA ‏@WNBA 39m39 minutes ago
.@TinaCharles31 named Eastern Conference Player of the Month after averaging 23.5ppg & 11rpg for Sept. #WatchMeWork

Cs0ctKFWAAAS8N2.jpg

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
@MooreMaya named Western Conference Player of the Month after averaging 21.6ppg, 4.9rpg & 3.9apg. #WatchMeWork

Cs0cpM-WYAAR17k.jpg

Uh, most of the people in that picture are doing everything but watch Maya work!

Back to business: Nneka is extraordinary, but I think Tina should be MVP. Then we get into the whole regular season vs what's next thing.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That's nuts. Tina leads the league in points scored and rebounds, and takes a clearly less-talented team to the playoffs, but Ogwumike is player of the year?!? You've got to be kidding me!
I think Tina was quoted as saying she voted for Neka. Head bang

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That's nuts. Tina leads the league in points scored and rebounds, and takes a clearly less-talented team to the playoffs, but Ogwumike is player of the year?!? You've got to be kidding me!
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's nuts, but Nneka has the highest FG% in the history of the WNBA AND the NBA (I think). I can see where she would win that award. For your argument, I would say Tina should probably win the MVP award - as you said, took a less talented team to the playoffs. That's what the MVP does. Still, I think Nneka wins the MVP of the league as well.

Either way she's a great "kid" and a class act. I hope she continues her stellar play into the future as I'd love to see her on the US National team...

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's nuts, but Nneka has the highest FG% in the history of the WNBA AND the NBA (I think). I can see where she would win that award. For your argument, I would say Tina should probably win the MVP award - as you said, took a less talented team to the playoffs. That's what the MVP does. Still, I think Nneka wins the MVP of the league as well.

Either way she's a great "kid" and a class act. I hope she continues her stellar play into the future as I'd love to see her on the US National team...

I'm really on the fence on whether to be miffed that Tina didn't get it. Nneka's FG% percentage was not only unprecedented, it was just off the charts! She redefined what is possible in terms of individual offensive efficiency. Add to that her amazing consistency: we'd be hard-pressed to identify a "bad game" for her this season. In fact, for her a "bad game" is one where she'd "only" shoot around 50%.

However, part of me is just galled that someone can lead the league in points and rebounds and still not get MVP. That just doesn't seem right.

I know it's a weak Solomonic solution, but I would've loved to see Nneka and Tina as co-MVPs. I'd even give Nneka the #1 designation as long as Tina can be #1A.

Reaction Score

For me, FG% is a minor statistic. The fact that Tina's FG% was lower certainly had something to do with the fact that there was virtually no one else that needed to be defended much of the game. So Tina always had two, sometimes three, players hanging all over her. Yet she STILL managed to lead the league in scoring and rebounding.

Nneka's numbers have to be seen in light of the fact that LA had an awesome front court, and she could escape extra attention in almost every game.

No way this is fair! Tina reacted with grace and aplomb, but she got robbed!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
For me, FG% is a minor statistic. The fact that Tina's FG% was lower certainly had something to do with the fact that there was virtually no one else that needed to be defended much of the game. So Tina always had two, sometimes three, players hanging all over her. Yet she STILL managed to lead the league in scoring and rebounding. Nneka's numbers have to be seen in light of the fact that LA had an awesome front court, and she could escape extra attention in almost every game. No way this is fair! Tina reacted with grace and aplomb, but she got robbed!
If you believe FG% to be a minor stat then advanced stats like player efficiency would surely blow your mind.
Here is the thing: Tina led the league in scoring this year- we know because you keep reminding us. Neka was not far behind 1.8 PPG less. Neka shot the ball 367. Tina shot the ball 622 times. That is why Neka is the league MVP. If you can't understand this then your basketball IQ card would seriously be at risk. You do have an official current and authorized BB IQ card right?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Well deserved. She really works hard and her shooting percentage this year has been phenomenal. She would get my vote if I had one, although Charles would have also been very deserving. That FG% probably put Nneka over the top for most voters.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
For me, FG% is a minor statistic. The fact that Tina's FG% was lower certainly had something to do with the fact that there was virtually no one else that needed to be defended much of the game. So Tina always had two, sometimes three, players hanging all over her. Yet she STILL managed to lead the league in scoring and rebounding.

Nneka's numbers have to be seen in light of the fact that LA had an awesome front court, and she could escape extra attention in almost every game.

Sometimes a classy "congratulations" is all that needs to be said. Nobody was "robbed." Nneka had a tremendous year and was deserving of this award.

Reaction Score
Both were deserving, and Maya would have had a great case in most years. Nneka's shooting numbers were off the charts, and even though she didn't take a lot of 3's, she did hit 16 of 25 (which is spectacular), and she shot 86% of her FT. Nneka guards the opponents best front court player (even though undersized, she guards Griner, Fowles, etc even with 6'4-6'5 Candace Parker), and then if they go big with Lavender, she's guards the 3 instead of Parker.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If you believe FG% to be a minor stat then advanced stats like player efficiency would surely blow your mind.
Here is the thing: Tina led the league in scoring this year- we know because you keep reminding us. Neka was not far behind 1.8 PPG less. Neka shot the ball 367. Tina shot the ball 622 times. That is why Neka is the league MVP. If you can't understand this then your basketball IQ card would seriously be at risk. You do have an official current and authorized BB IQ card right?

I haven't taken another BBIQ test since the concussions.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sometimes a classy "congratulations" is all that needs to be said. Nobody was "robbed." Nneka had a tremendous year and was deserving of this award.
Yup. "Game recognize Game" That class part is definitely Tina's UCONN pedigree!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Touche' Well said ET. :)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

That sour grape cannot be very tasty. Go on, spit it out.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Congrats to Nneka, well deserved. She deserves to win the overall MVP in my opinion.

Her numbers are very similar to Tina's excluding FG%:
Nneka: 19.7 ppg, 9.1 rpg, 3.1 apg, 1.3 spg, 1.2 bpg, 2.1 TO, .665 FG, .615 3pt, .867 Ft
Tina: 21.5 ppg, 9.9 rpg, 3.8 apg, 0.8 spg, 0.8 bpg, 2.0 TO, .439 FG, .347 3pt, .812 FT

Pretty darn similar in most categories until you get to the FG%. Slight edge in PPG and RPG to Tina, but overall I'd give Nneka the edge in statistical output due to her efficiency.

Team success: big edge to Nneka here. You can argue she has more talented teammates, but her team had zero Olympians and was picked 7th in the preseason power rankings and finished 2nd in the league with an outstanding 26-8 record. New York was picked to finish 5th and comfortably finished in 3rd with a 21-13 record. Both teams exceeded expectations, but the edge is still with Nneka when you look at team success, especially when you factor in where LA was predicted to finish. Team success is usually a pretty major factor when choosing MVP.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Nneka, well deserved. She deserves to win the overall MVP in my opinion.

Her numbers are very similar to Tina's excluding FG%:
Nneka: 19.7 ppg, 9.1 rpg, 3.1 apg, 1.3 spg, 1.2 bpg, 2.1 TO, .665 FG, .615 3pt, .867 Ft
Tina: 21.5 ppg, 9.9 rpg, 3.8 apg, 0.8 spg, 0.8 bpg, 2.0 TO, .439 FG, .347 3pt, .812 FT

Pretty darn similar in most categories until you get to the FG%. Slight edge in PPG and RPG to Tina, but overall I'd give Nneka the edge in statistical output due to her efficiency.

Team success: big edge to Nneka here. You can argue she has more talented teammates, but her team had zero Olympians and was picked 7th in the preseason power rankings and finished 2nd in the league with an outstanding 26-8 record. New York was picked to finish 5th and comfortably finished in 3rd with a 21-13 record. Both teams exceeded expectations, but the edge is still with Nneka when you look at team success, especially when you factor in where LA was predicted to finish. Team success is usually a pretty major factor when choosing MVP.
SMH Tina have to take way more shots than Nneka does. Look that stat up, Tina took more shots. Her team is less takented but good enough to beat any team in the WNBA. And while Tina was Consistent all year Nneka started off slow and came on mid season. Tina got ROBBED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom