Ogwumike is the WNBA POY | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ogwumike is the WNBA POY

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
SMH Tina have to take way more shots than Nneka does. Look that stat up, Tina took more shots. Her team is less takented but good enough to beat any team in the WNBA. And while Tina was Consistent all year Nneka started off slow and came on mid season. Tina got ROBBED

On the flipside of that, the offense runs through Tina so she gets a lot more opportunity to score and get assists, yet Nneka has almost matched her in both categories. In the pros, Tina has always been a volume shooter. It has been the role NY needs from her. This year she led the league in FGA by a wide margin (she averaged taking almost 4 shots per game more than anyone else) which was a big reason why she was able to score 21.5 ppg. That's a valid reason for a lower field goal percentage, but that doesn't take away the fact that Nneka has been amazingly efficient this year. 66% FG for a player who will take and make mid range jumpers and 3 pointers (she made 16 on the year and shot 61.5% doing so). She is probably getting cleaner looks, but to her credit she has capitalized on this at an incredibly high rate, so that's a major reason why she'll likely win the MVP.

Also, Nneka's first 2 games she only put up 12 and 10. After that she put up games of 25, 19, 11, 21, 9, 18, 32 and 27 so I wouldn't quantify 2 games as a slow start. The first ten games of the year she averaged 18.4 ppg, not far off her overall average of 19.7, so I don't think that is a very strong argument.

Reaction Score
Uh, most of the people in that picture are doing everything but watch Maya work! .

Let's give the fans the benefit of the doubt here. Considering that there are fans visible in the courtside seats suggests that Maya is outside of scoring range and the fans' eyes are looking toward the basket in anticipation of a great play initiated by Maya. After all, this is the Lynx's home floor. These are Maya's fans. :)

Reaction Score
If you believe FG% to be a minor stat then advanced stats like player efficiency would surely blow your mind.
Here is the thing: Tina led the league in scoring this year- we know because you keep reminding us. Neka was not far behind 1.8 PPG less. Neka shot the ball 367. Tina shot the ball 622 times. That is why Neka is the league MVP. If you can't understand this then your basketball IQ card would seriously be at risk. You do have an official current and authorized BB IQ card right?

You know, your remarks are increasingly insulting Questioning someone's IQ is offensive, and if you have to indulge in comments like that, then you shouldn't be permitted to comment here.

Clean up your act.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
200_s.gif

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I would have voted for Tina. In the past her top numbers would have been what won the award. These advanced stats that have been promoted are good for tracking certain things but I don't think it's a reflection of the MVP. Nneka is surrounded by a lot more talent. Tina carried her team more than Nneka had to. But that being said, Nneka worked hard and congratulations to her on the award. I hope in the future proper weight is given to ALL factors in the voting of the MVP and it's not lobbied for in the media before all the votes are in.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Nneka set the WNBA record. She was flirting with Wilt's NBA record of about 72%, but that's ridiculously high.

Reaction Score
How many Vols/Irish fans going to blame Coach Geno for AP naming all those UConn Players dominating the All-Pro teams?
All of them right after they screw in their lightbulbs, lol.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with Nneka getting the MVP. If she took as many shots as Tina, with that FG%, she'd have scored over 30 pts a game. You can definitely have made a case for either of them winning, so I'm ok with it as it is.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
SMH Tina have to take way more shots than Nneka does. Look that stat up, Tina took more shots. Her team is less takented but good enough to beat any team in the WNBA. And while Tina was Consistent all year Nneka started off slow and came on mid season. Tina got ROBBED

Tina being robbed is a big story. Was it at gunpoint?

Reaction Score
If you set the stats aside for now and consider hussle plays and leadership and making the biggest shots of the game, then Maya is the one. These factors that aren't considered here are what will win another trophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom