OG/C Alex Mateas | The Boneyard

OG/C Alex Mateas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hey guys... Thanks for the add here. Just to give a short preface about myself, I am a Canadian with tons of family ties to PSU. I've known Alex well before he chose PSU and it was a complete coincidence at that time that he chose PSU. He was offered at the last second by Jay Paterno and was committed to UConn before signing with PSU.

He left PSU on good terms. I've heard people say he failed drug tests, which were completely untrue. He was an Olympic lifter and switching to PSU's HIT program gave him extreme back issues. Unfortunately Joe and his OL coach at the time were not willing to help with his rehab and wanted him to play through the pain, despite him being the backup LG on the team. He finally requested a transfer last summer, and joined UConn in the fall (even though he wasn't on the roster officially). Had he stuck around for this year, he would be entering spring as the starting LG for Penn State.

Anyways, I'll be checking in here time to time to find updates on him. From the sounds of things, he's been working at center with some time also at the guard positions. How is your depth chart on the OL? Have you guys heard anything good about him?

Reaction Score
How is your depth chart on the OL? Have you guys heard anything good about him?

Depth chart on OL is wide open as far as we know. You have provided the best update on Alex to date. Hope he finds success here.

What is an HIT program?

Reaction Score
I really believe there will be open competition at every OL spot, with a real free for all at the guard spots.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Friend, Masters and Green will all, barring injury, still be starters.

I think they have a leg up but none of them solidified themselves last year as a sure bet. If anyone is the surest bet it would be Master at guard, where he seems to be a natural at.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Thanks for the post. He's got a great opportunity at center with Moe Petrus graduating after being a four-year starter at that position. We'll know a little more about how the line is shaping up in the next 6 weeks, but with almost 6 months until opening day there is plenty of time for guys to impress.

Reaction Score
IMO, there is only one freshman or redshirt freshman that will sniff the two deep in the interior of the OL. He is Kyle Bocheloh (6-3, 282). He is listed as an OC but also has experience at OG. The only other OC on the roster, besides Mateas, is Bryan Paull (6-3, 298) who is a redshirt sophomore with little playing time. Paull has been exclusively at center since arriving in Storrs.

Guards that will compete for the two deep are Steve Green (6-5, 309) Tyler Bullock (6-4, 302) are both juniors that have played well at times. Gus Cruz (6-2, 306) a redshirt soph who has had a little buzz.

Redshirt senior, Adam Masters (6-4, 298) and Kevin Friend (6-6, 295) redshirt junior, are both offensive tackles but are capable of moving inside. Masters probably ends up at OT. Many of us are hoping that Jimmy Bennett (6-9, 309) a redshirt senior who has fought injuries fro four years can achieve his potential this year and gain a starting OT position.

Coach P. spoke very highly of Alex Mateas in his recruiting press conference. There is a good chance for him to step immediately into the two deep. With the graduation of Petrus and Mike Ryan, I expect some movement and, perhaps, some surprises on the starting offensive line. There are some other posters who pay a little more attention to the line, the may see it differently.

Reaction Score
With Deleone taking over the offensive line from Foley, the competition is likely wide open.

Reaction Score
With Deleone taking over the offensive line from Foley, the competition is likely wide open.
I forgot but where did coach Foley go? I loved his work with the OL guys. He'll be missed?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Still here. Tight ends coach

Reaction Score
Depth chart on OL is wide open as far as we know. You have provided the best update on Alex to date. Hope he finds success here.

What is an HIT program?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_intensity_training

essentially a lot of machine work, high reps, low weight... we were the last program in division 1 football to still be on it

finally made the switch to olympic this offseason after the passing of joe

Reaction Score
IMO, there is only one freshman or redshirt freshman that will sniff the two deep in the interior of the OL. He is Kyle Bocheloh (6-3, 282). He is listed as an OC but also has experience at OG. The only other OC on the roster, besides Mateas, is Bryan Paull (6-3, 298) who is a redshirt sophomore with little playing time. Paull has been exclusively at center since arriving in Storrs.

Guards that will compete for the two deep are Steve Green (6-5, 309) Tyler Bullock (6-4, 302) are both juniors that have played well at times. Gus Cruz (6-2, 306) a redshirt soph who has had a little buzz.

Redshirt senior, Adam Masters (6-4, 298) and Kevin Friend (6-6, 295) redshirt junior, are both offensive tackles but are capable of moving inside. Masters probably ends up at OT. Many of us are hoping that Jimmy Bennett (6-9, 309) a redshirt senior who has fought injuries fro four years can achieve his potential this year and gain a starting OT position.

Coach P. spoke very highly of Alex Mateas in his recruiting press conference. There is a good chance for him to step immediately into the two deep. With the graduation of Petrus and Mike Ryan, I expect some movement and, perhaps, some surprises on the starting offensive line. There are some other posters who pay a little more attention to the line, the may see it differently.

1. Tyler Bullock has played Center at times, and is absolutely a possibility there.

2. i give Bockeloh a better chance than any other true frosh to play on the OL, but I'd still be surprised. Especially at C, which takes more learning than Guard or Tackle.

3. From all I've heard, the staff last year was not pleased with Paull's progress learning the new way of doing things.

If I'm guessing today who takes the first snap at C next season, I'd be guessing (1) Mateas, whom if he doesn't start at C I expect to start at G, with Friend and Masters at T, (2) Bullock, and (3) Paull, in that order.

Reaction Score
1. Tyler Bullock has played Center at times, and is absolutely a possibility there.

2. i give Bockeloh a better chance than any other true frosh to play on the OL, but I'd still be surprised. Especially at C, which takes more learning than Guard or Tackle.

3. From all I've heard, the staff last year was not pleased with Paull's progress learning the new way of doing things.

If I'm guessing today who takes the first snap at C next season, I'd be guessing (1) Mateas, whom if he doesn't start at C I expect to start at G, with Friend and Masters at T, (2) Bullock, and (3) Paull, in that order.

Left to right, Masters, Bullock, Mateas, Green, Friend? Is that your guess?

Reaction Score
I would be surprised to see the staff move Masters back to OT. They seemed quite clear about the move last year. Obviously, the challenge is to find someone to step in at OT.

Reaction Score
Left to right, Masters, Bullock, Mateas, Green, Friend? Is that your guess?

I keep a depth chart -- much of it guesswork -- posted on a corkboard next to my computer. After signing day, I wrote down, left to right, Masters, Greene, Bullock, Mateas, Friend. The two most likely things to change it are (i) Jimmy Bennett being back to 100% on opening day, in which case he is the LT and Masters moves back to Guard, or (ii) Cruz being better then Bullock, in which case Mateas plays C and Cruz RG.

For those who think any of Friend, Masters or Greene might not start, I don't think we're close to having another Tackle better than Friend or Masters next fall (absent Bennett being healthy)? The walk-on Brown? An undersized RS frosh? We are rebuilding that position's depth but it takes time. Bullock is the only returnee I could see competing, and if he wins a job I still think we'd keep masters and Friend outside and start Bullock inside.

As an aside, the OL is as this this year as it's been since we moved to the Rent. Plenty of young 'uns who may develop in time, but we will have very few backups who I'd be comfortable with coming in after an injury. That's why I'd really, really like to see Jimmy Bennett back (but because he didn't get hurt early in the year I have trouble seeing how that's the answer).

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Bullock will either start at LT or C. If another center emerges, Tyler will be a tackle.

Reaction Score
The C position is going to be crucial to our success as an entire offense this year. I like the competition for that position that I'm seeing getting lined up and ready to go earn the job in the spring.

Reaction Score
personally, I was very disappointed last year in the OL.
I expected more.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I think it goes from right to left with Friend RT, Cruz RG, Mateas C, Master RG and Bennett at LT. Bennett is a hope he is finally healthy for his last season at Storrs.

Moe Petrus is the one who said Cruz would be a starter soon when I talked to him.

Reaction Score
I will be shocked if Greene isn't starting at one OF spot going into Fall Practice.

Reaction Score
I don't think Steve Greene played especially well this past year. I recall several times where the quarterback was on the ground and he was standing over him watching the guy he was supposed to block get a sack.

My best guess from the limited information we've got is as follows:
LT- Bullock, LG- Cruz, C- Mateas, RG- Masters, RT- Friend.

Reaction Score
I keep a depth chart -- much of it guesswork -- posted on a corkboard next to my computer. After signing day, I wrote down, left to right, Masters, Greene, Bullock, Mateas, Friend. The two most likely things to change it are (i) Jimmy Bennett being back to 100% on opening day, in which case he is the LT and Masters moves back to Guard, or (ii) Cruz being better then Bullock, in which case Mateas plays C and Cruz RG.

For those who think any of Friend, Masters or Greene might not start, I don't think we're close to having another Tackle better than Friend or Masters next fall (absent Bennett being healthy)? The walk-on Brown? An undersized RS frosh? We are rebuilding that position's depth but it takes time. Bullock is the only returnee I could see competing, and if he wins a job I still think we'd keep masters and Friend outside and start Bullock inside.

As an aside, the OL is as this this year as it's been since we moved to the Rent. Plenty of young 'uns who may develop in time, but we will have very few backups who I'd be comfortable with coming in after an injury. That's why I'd really, really like to see Jimmy Bennett back (but because he didn't get hurt early in the year I have trouble seeing how that's the answer).

Very solid assessment of the line situation. If Bockeloh gets meaningful time next year, we are going to be in serious, serious trouble. The jump from high school to college is huge for an O Lineman. That one year to build up their body and strength is so important.

Depth is very concerning to em as well, at this time. We do have versatility amongst the potential starters, but a lot of questions beyond that.

Reaction Score
I don't think Steve Greene played especially well this past year. I recall several times where the quarterback was on the ground and he was standing over him watching the guy he was supposed to block get a sack.

My best guess from the limited information we've got is as follows:
LT- Bullock, LG- Cruz, C- Mateas, RG- Masters, RT- Friend.

Greene had growing pains, but also displayed monster potential, especially in the run game. His pass blocking was inconsistent to say the least, and I think he might be better suited at RT. I still see him as a starter, though.

Reaction Score
personally, I was very disappointed last year in the OL.
I expected more.

I know this board can't stand the word execute, but that was the main problem with the line - Executing consistently. One player would have an awesome block, while the guy next to him blew an assignment. Happened too much, and that is what happens when a line doesn't have a ton of experience playing together. Pass blocking wasn't as good as prior years, but definitely not as bad as it seemed. The quarterback had zero pocket presence, was petrified of taking a hit, and had zero trust that his blockers would pick up a blitz (which they often did). That resulted in happy feet, and scrambling (poorly), out of the pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom