OG/C Alex Mateas | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OG/C Alex Mateas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Very solid assessment of the line situation. If Bockeloh gets meaningful time next year, we are going to be in serious, serious trouble. The jump from high school to college is huge for an O Lineman. That one year to build up their body and strength is so important.

Depth is very concerning to em as well, at this time. We do have versatility amongst the potential starters, but a lot of questions beyond that.

There are kids that make the jump from high school to college lineman every year. It depends how fast their bodies mature. And Kyle graduated spring 2011. So he will be more like a redshirt freshman than a true freshman.

Reaction Score
There are kids that make the jump from high school to college lineman every year. It depends how fast their bodies mature. And Kyle graduated spring 2011. So he will be more like a redshirt freshman than a true freshman.

There are, absolutely, and they struggle for the most part. Do you disagree that it would be bad news if a true frosh is getting significant time at O Line?

Reaction Score
There are, absolutely, and they struggle for the most part. Do you disagree that it would be bad news if a true frosh is getting significant time at O Line?

Looking at depth chart databases, its uncommon for 1st year players to make the two-deep on the OL
in major college football.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Looking at depth chart databases, its uncommon for 1st year players to make the two-deep on the OL
Definitely uncommon, but it happens. It should have happened to us in 2005. Joe Akers was at least on the 2-deep and potentially the starting center as an early-enrollee freshman until he had a career-ending injury.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I know this board can't stand the word execute, but that was the main problem with the line - Executing consistently. One player would have an awesome block, while the guy next to him blew an assignment.

Is that why we have a new OL coach?

Reaction Score
I think replacing Foley as the line coach was one of the dumbest moves of the coaching staff. Can't think of many better line coaches in the nation.

If UConn was replacing him with a totally new coach and new system I would agree, but he is being replaced by DeLeone. According to his bio, DeLeone has coached offensive line for 28 of his 40 years of coaching, including time in the NFL. I have no problem with the move. To me it is a "buck stope here" move by DeLeone as his success as offensive coordinator will be tied directly to his offensive line success.

Reaction Score
If UConn was replacing him with a totally new coach and new system I would agree, but he is being replaced by DeLeone. According to his bio, DeLeone has coached offensive line for 28 of his 40 years of coaching, including time in the NFL. I have no problem with the move. To me it is a "buck stope here" move by DeLeone as his success as offensive coordinator will be tied directly to his offensive line success.

And I fear that because he was pushed to the side, Foley will be gone after this season.

Reaction Score
And I fear that because he was pushed to the side, Foley will be gone after this season.

How do we know he was pushed to the side? For all we know, maybe he requested to work with the TEs.
Just playing the advocate here. I really hope you are wrong and that he sticks around for a long time. But we relly have no clue what goes on in the inner circle.

Reaction Score

I agree. I think moreso for a guy like Deleone. I think that for DeLeone to start a rookie in the offensive system on the line, would be a hell of an accomplishment for any first year kid in the program to achieve, and with that in mind, the kid being discussed here has been around since last fall. We'll see.

I think the interior OL, and specifically the C, is going to be crucial to our offensive success this year. Moreso than the QB position. That point of attack needs to get anchored down, and we need guys in there that are going to be doing it a little different than what was done in the past.

I like the way the competition on the field is looking for the OL this year.

The concept of beating the crap out of the guys lined up across from you doesn't change, it's how you go about doing it, and how that interior line is goign to adjust the blocking schemes and protections as they line up for each snap.

I don't believe that' we've got a QB that can stand in there under center and read an entire defense and account for that...... yet. So the C, and the interior OL is going to be key in making that happen, and getting it communicated out to the tackles and into the backfield if necessary.

Reaction Score
There is technique and assignment. I thought that we blew the assignment more often than we had bad technique. I thought that there were times that the guy was on the QB so fast that we really had no clue as to who was doing what. It's DeLeone's system let him show the way - no slight to Foley.

Reaction Score
On the oft mentioned, and ill-fated, 3rd down pass play against Vandy last year, a Vandy defensive lineman rushed the QB by coming into the backfield untouched through a parting of the Red Sea at scrimmage. Assignment and technique. Two things. Yup.

New offensive system, new players last season. We'll see how they all do this year with a year in the fire under their belts.

Reaction Score
There is technique and assignment. I thought that we blew the assignment more often than we had bad technique. I thought that there were times that the guy was on the QB so fast that we really had no clue as to who was doing what. It's DeLeone's system let him show the way - no slight to Foley.

I don't agree. I think there were several issues with the line, the least of which was blown assignments. I think the lack of continuity hurt. But I also think some of the players just need more experience on the field and in the weight room. A prime example is Kevin Friend. He knows what he is doing on the field, but he needs more strength. Out of all of the lineman, I expect a huge leap from him this year. He has the technique, he just needs more strength. Steve Greene was hit or miss in pass blocking, and it wasn't because of not knowing the blocking scheme. He often times was slow out of his stance and does not move his feet in pass protection. You get a quick DT on him, and it is not good. I think he would be better served at RT than at guard. Masters just needs a little more consistency, but he is progressing nicely.

I think Friend and Masters are the only locks to start at this point. Greene has so much potential, there are times when it seems like he would block an entire defense on run plays. But he has to get markedly better in pass pro.

And your comment about Deleone is a slight to Foley. He knows how to coach an offensive line. If we lose him after the season I will be peeved.

Reaction Score
How do we know he was pushed to the side? For all we know, maybe he requested to work with the TEs.
Just playing the advocate here. I really hope you are wrong and that he sticks around for a long time. But we relly have no clue what goes on in the inner circle.

You really think he requested to work with the tight ends? It is a demotion, and I have too much respect for Coach Foley to think he requested a demotion.

Reaction Score
Here's part of the official release from UConn. For what it's worth.

With the departure of Petrus, redshirt sophomore Bryan Paull and mid-year enrollee Kyle Bockeloh will be looking for a shot. In addition, players currently at guard and tackle could also get a chance at the center spot.

The Huskies return two veterans at guard in redshirt senior Adam Masters and redshirt junior Steve Greene. Masters started all 13 games at right guard last year while Greene started at left guard for the final eight games of the year. Masters has started 23 games over the last two seasons. Also starting spring drills at guard are redshirt junior Tyler Bullock, redshirt sophomores Gus Cruz and Alex Mateas (a transfer from Penn State) and Joseph Danielson and mid-year enrollee Drew Ghio.

Redshirt junior Kevin Friend leads the tackles after starting nine games last year at right tackle. There is a whole on the left side with the departure of Ryan. Redshirt senior Jimmy Bennett will look to stay healthy and compete for that spot after making two starts last year. Also in the mix are redshirt junior Stephen Brown and redshirt freshmen Dalton Gifford, Xavier Hemmingway and Paul Nwokeji.

Reaction Score
If Bennett cannot stay healthy we are going to have some real problems at tackle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom