Officiating During Texas NC St Game | The Boneyard

Officiating During Texas NC St Game

Reaction Score
This was among the worst I have ever seen. Everyone's going to be talking about the nonsense call on Miah Spencer to foul her out, and the horrible charge call on the Joyner Holmes flop (against a player half her size going for a tear drop), but it's not the one that stands out to me. In the first half, there was a point where the offensive player was wide open when the shot went up, the defensive player crashed the glass from the three point line and went over her back, and the offensive player was called for a foul.

I have no vested interest in this game (if anything, I think Texas winning is good for us, because I think they have the best chance of knocking out ND), but it's tremendously frustrating, as a proponent of WCBB, that a nationally televised second round game (that ESPN chose to focus on during the wrap around) features terrible officiating. Something has to be done about the officiating in WCBB.

Reaction Score
4 NC St players fouled out ...LOL
NC St should win the game but the last TO and refs cost them the game.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Yeah...I watched the game and I have to include my voice with those who think NC State got a home job. Game was in Austin... 52 fouls called...7 players with 4 fouls each (4 for NC state and 3 for Texas) but ironically the 3 players who eventually fouled out were all from NC State. 2 of the 3 were controversial calls within the last 1 minute of play... My advice to the referees: If you can't call the game fairly...swallow the whistle!!!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Any team with significant depth who goes against UConn would be wise to come out of the gates playing uber-physical to get the refs whistle-happy.

In this game, I believe 10 fouls were called in roughly the first 6 minutes. The result: Five players fouled out (three of them all-conference performers), and the team with the better depth won.

Reaction Score
52 FOULS CALLED??? Texas is going to win the NC this year---they brought their own REFS with them..
Disgusting ---terrible ref ing. Way too many calls for no call situations--bad calls galore.

I can hardly spell NC State---but this was not a game the lost---it's a game stolen from them.

Terrible. Announcers including Connecticuts own Lobo--questioned the calls in the last minute or so---calls that created a situation for Tx to win. When in doubt let the players play and decide who wins.

I always believed that at this time of the year the officials were the best---so far this year that has not been the case--they are really bad
too many want their 30 minutes of air time per game..

Reaction Score
Yeah...I watched the game and I have to include my voice with those who think NC State got a home job. Game was in Austin... 52 fouls called...7 players with 4 fouls each (4 for NC state and 3 for Texas) but ironically the 3 players who eventually fouled out were all from NC State. 2 of the 3 were controversial calls within the last 1 minute of play... My advice to the referees: If you can't call the game fairly...swallow the whistle!!!
This is one of the things that I think happens better on the men's side (and isn't necessarily a function of officiating talent); in the end of a tight game, the official should err on the side of a no call, especially in an off ball situation.

Plebe

Reaction Score
This is one of the things that I think happens better on the men's side (and isn't necessarily a function of officiating talent); in the end of a tight game, the official should err on the side of a no call, especially in an off ball situation.
They swallowed their whistle at the end of the FGCU-Miami game yesterday, and it was hardly fair to FGCU.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Fouls were 27 to 25, yes there were some bad calls, there always are. What I did not see was a player on either team making and an adjustment to how closely this game was being called. Hard to pin that on the referees.

Reaction Score
Just like Miami game yesterday. We need alot more reviews and the coaches need to call for them. Yeah that means stop the game.
Remember it's the same guys who made the bad call to review their bad call work--hmmm??

As I said Texas will win it all they brought their own refs with them---I agree with the Miami game--it looked like Miami had a shot at winning until --they unfriendlies took over.

Reaction Score
A charge is a call. But I'm sure it came as a shock since they'd been getting those calls all game.

Reaction Score
In the final 5 mins, I wonder what was the discrepancy in fouls called for Texas and NC State?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
This was among the worst I have ever seen. Everyone's going to be talking about the nonsense call on Miah Spencer to foul her out, and the horrible charge call on the Joyner Holmes flop (against a player half her size going for a tear drop), but it's not the one that stands out to me. In the first half, there was a point where the offensive player was wide open when the shot went up, the defensive player crashed the glass from the three point line and went over her back, and the offensive player was called for a foul.

I have no vested interest in this game (if anything, I think Texas winning is good for us, because I think they have the best chance of knocking out ND), but it's tremendously frustrating, as a proponent of WCBB, that a nationally televised second round game (that ESPN chose to focus on during the wrap around) features terrible officiating. Something has to be done about the officiating in WCBB.
I agree with you and cferraro on the Spencer call--don't call it. But I disagree with the Holmes call. Looked like a charge live and on two replays.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
If you didn't watch the entire game, then picking just one or two foul calls which you think were incorrect is a very small sample.

Alecia Sutton was called for a flagrant against an NC State player who was driving for a layup, but it sure looked her hand touched the ball in an attempt to block.

And, early in the first quarter, this set of officials called Texas for four charging calls. Throughout the entire game, they called the charge/block call in favor of the defender just about every time. So, calling a block on Joyner in those final seconds would have been completely inconsistent with how they called charges throughout the game.

NC State's Spencer was wrapping her arms around Brooke McCarty; as McCarty moved without the ball, she and Spencer got tangled up because there two other Texas players were holding their position in close proximity. Spencer put herself in that position and gambled and lost. What should have the call been? A no-call? No, she was impeding Brooke's movement.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This was among the worst I have ever seen. Everyone's going to be talking about the nonsense call on Miah Spencer to foul her out, and the horrible charge call on the Joyner Holmes flop (against a player half her size going for a tear drop), but it's not the one that stands out to me. In the first half, there was a point where the offensive player was wide open when the shot went up, the defensive player crashed the glass from the three point line and went over her back, and the offensive player was called for a foul..

I'm glad I wasn't the only one utterly confused by that call! Despite the tainted ending, it was one of the best games I have ever watched! Hats off to the NC State seniors who left EVERYTHING on the floor. I felt their heartbreak, but feel nothing but admiration for them!

Plebe

Reaction Score
In the final 5 mins, I wonder what was the discrepancy in fouls called for Texas and NC State?
The bad calls went both ways in this game. They went more against NC State in the final 2-3 minutes.

Not counting the intentional foul by Mathurin with 0:07 left, the last 5 minutes had 6 fouls on NC State, 4 fouls on Texas.

But we should remember the completely inexplicable flagrant foul call on Sutton earlier in the 4th quarter, and the terrible call on Atkins that fouled her out as well. I'm not saying that NC State didn't get the worst of it, but it was hardly one-sided.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Seems like a higher power wants Baylor and Texas to meet in the FF :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Fouls were 27 to 25, yes there were some bad calls, there always are. What I did not see was a player on either team making and an adjustment to how closely this game was being called. Hard to pin that on the referees.
It's not about the equality in number--that sometimes makes a difference in inequality--this was about making ANY call at times and making bad calls that immediately impacted the games outcome. That to me is totally on the REFs---the game is supposed to be determined by the players--when and where the calls were made in this game --to me--determined the outcome-- it is wrong to call---fouls that in regular season would not have been called--normally. If there was overt physicality and some anger shown by either side--yep--the refs have an obligation to be whistle happy--that didn't happen in the tx NCstate game.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
52 FOULS CALLED??? Texas is going to win the NC this year---they brought their own REFS with them..
Disgusting ---terrible ref ing. Way too many calls for no call situations--bad calls galore.

I can hardly spell NC State---but this was not a game the lost---it's a game stolen from them.

Terrible. Announcers including Connecticuts own Lobo--questioned the calls in the last minute or so---calls that created a situation for Tx to win.
27 fouls called against NC State; 25 against Texas. 29 free throws attempted by NC State. 23 free throws attempted by Texas.

But, don't let the facts get in the way of being a drama queen.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
darn t-sips :mad:

They swallowed their whistle at the end of the FGCU-Miami game yesterday, and it was hardly fair to FGCU.

Guess it was a case of giving to an ACC team... taketh away from another ACC team :oops:

Plebe

Reaction Score
darn t-sips :mad:

Guess it was a case of giving to an ACC team... taketh away from another ACC team :oops:
The lords giveth and taketh away.

NC State was way more deserving than Miami of both (a) hosting, and (b) a Sweet 16 berth.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Went over to the NC State board and on twitter....... those refs might want to avoid going anywhere near the Research Triangle area

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
OK just completed re-watching the replay of this game to verify that @southie said:
"Throughout the entire game, they called the charge/block call in favor of the defender just about every time. So, calling a block on Joyner in those final seconds would have been completely inconsistent with how they called charges throughout the game."
@southie is not correct: It was not "just about every time". It was everytime!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom