Official Obliterate the Orange Game Thread | Page 37 | The Boneyard

Official Obliterate the Orange Game Thread

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
More by the fact that they were in MSG than the team they were playing, IMO.
Sure there's the mystique of "the Garden" but it really is a neutral court of UConn/'Cuse in my opinion.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The team battled hard against the Cuse. Just don’t have enough talent to go up against the P5 level boys. We have lunch pale guys and need to find a way to grit-grind out victories. Most teams we are going to play will have more talented players than UConn. UConn needs to really slow the game down, drag it into the mud and try to win a rock fight. Trying to run and gun will be a recipe for disaster. We might be able to run with the big boys, but it’s the gunning we will struggle with.

What is this 1986?

SwingDog

Reaction Score
In fairness - this game felt a lot less on Ollie and a lot more on sloppy play and missed opportunities. They gave us every opportunity to pull within 3-5 during that stretch.
Yup. Missed free throws killed us there along with turnovers. The opportunities were definitely there to cut the lead down to two possessions and give a real possibility of winning. There was that sense but it was quickly fleeting.

Reaction Score
Well that is what it is going to take for us to win this year. Do you really see anybody else who can score on their own? Honestly. I had hope for TL but that is fading fast.
Nope and I agree that should have always been the case. It’s the role of a UConn leader at guard. Take the shots in volume. Never rest. Be questioned junior year. Come back with a retired jersey or close to that. Adams. Boat. Bazz. Kemba. Aj. .... all the leading scorers and hoisted the most shots, and when it was there turn, take the blame and be called selfish or concerned about the next level. We’ve been here before. 2010 stinks worse than this rut. 4 or 5 pros. 3 that at least sniffed the nba. Folks coming complaining that this team has no identity. 2010 sure did and our most beloved Kemba was not ready for the spotlight. This team has no identity because they have not gone through anything yet( 11 new guys for what it’s worth) They may be right now. But a UConn identity is forged by adversity and growth. It’s not handed to any one team.

Reaction Score
Carlton isn't ready for this type of game yet as a freshman, but we found out that Cobb is.

Diarra is ready to expand his role if he develops his offensive side around the rim and at the line.

We don't have a point guard, so Jalen needs to become that guard and value the ball.

Vital needs to become that 2-guard that he showed for about 15 minutes tonight.

I'm still on record as saying we'll make the tourney. This is a tough one to swallow, but we're closer to knowing who needs to be where now that we believe we won't have Alterique anymore...
Always appreciate your optimism. I think with excellent coaching focused on execution, fundamentals and real in-game accountability, we could squeeze more out of this group. Missed FTs, bad shots, bad passes, missed fast break opportunities, missed lay-ups and put backs, busted D, cheap fouls, no rebounding all speak to poorly coached teams. It's just so sad to watch this, but what other choice is there except hope for improvement.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Always appreciate your optimism. I think with excellent coaching focused on execution, fundamentals and real in-game accountability, we could squeeze more out of this group. Missed FTs, bad shots, bad passes, missed fast break opportunities, missed lay-ups and put backs, busted D, cheap fouls, no rebounding all speak to poorly coached teams. It's just so sad to watch this, but what other choice is there except hope for improvement.

I just highlighted in bold all of the things that the players have to own responsibility for.

Not understanding the D or not understanding what a good shot is? Absolutely on the head coach. But a player misses a friggin' layup? Or a player tries a no-look pass and sends it out of bounds? Or a player lazily reaches his hand in on a swipe and gets a cheap foul?

The players have to own some things sometimes too...

Reaction Score
Nope and I agree that should have always been the case. It’s the role of a UConn leader at guard. Take the shots in volume. Never rest. Be questioned junior year. Come back with a retired jersey or close to that. Adams. Boat. Bazz. Kemba. Aj. .... all the leading scorers and hoisted the most shots, and when it was there turn, take the blame and be called selfish or concerned about the next level. We’ve been here before. 2010 stinks worse than this rut. 4 or 5 pros. 3 that at least sniffed the nba. Folks coming complaining that this team has no identity. 2010 sure did and our most beloved Kemba was not ready for the spotlight. This team has no identity because they have not gone through anything yet( 11 new guys for what it’s worth) They may be right now. But a UConn identity is forged by adversity and growth. It’s not handed to any one team.
Yeah RB tried his best on a team that wasn't very talented and almost willed us to tourney after losing to SMU in the AAC championship. Jalen would have to match that if we are going to have a shot. He certainly isn't doing that presently unless it is end of the game against sub par teams.

SwingDog

Reaction Score
Good points. I think it's important to remember as disappointing as their performance has been this team has not reached its ceiling...Huskies haven't gelled yet. I think the best has yet to come for this team as they figure things out but there really is no good excuse for not playing sound fundamental basketball.

Reaction Score
I just highlighted in bold all of the things that the players have to own responsibility for.

Not understanding the D or not understanding what a good shot is? Absolutely on the head coach. But a player misses a friggin' layup? Or a player tries a no-look pass and sends it out of bounds? Or a player lazily reaches his hand in on a swipe and gets a cheap foul?

The players have to own some things sometimes too...
Very True. But JC wouldn't tolerate it. He was a quick hook guy and players learned there was a price for not playing to the level he wanted. You either adapted and learned or you lost minutes. KO is not an alpha coach looking at the big picture of player development skill wise or game execution wise.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Very True. But JC wouldn't tolerate it. He was a quick hook guy and players learned there was a price for not playing to the level he wanted. You either adapted and learned or you lost minutes. KO is not an alpha coach looking at the big picture of player development skill wise or game execution wise.

JC would have a quick hook. Agreed. And who would he put in for the "hooked" player?

THAT'S the major issue right now! And people either aren't accepting it or aren't aware of it. If you yank Jalen, who do you go to? Anderson, I guess, if he's not on the court. If you yank Larrier, who do you go to? Polley, a freshman who has never played at this speed or this level? If you yank Diarra, who do you go to? Carlton has some raw talent, but again, it's raw as hell. He's a freshman. So is Whaley. Williams hasn't played at this level yet. DO isn't capable of being more than a 5 minute role player.

That's it in a nutshell. We need the freshman to do some quick growing up, and fast. They'll be better in a month or two. But that's the issue with "the hook"...

Reaction Score
Postgame from Ollie: "We basically got beat by two freshman"

I just can't.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01