Official 2023 bracket thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Official 2023 bracket thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I believe Triad’s post inferred that Iowa was the best team UConn beat this year and Duke was the 2nd best. My argument is simply that Villanova, a team that UConn beat 3 times, is better than Duke.

Villanova is a good Big East team. I'm not convinced that Villanova would finish above 7th if they played in the ACC. Maybe 9th..

Reaction Score
I think UConn, Stanford and SC are the best three today. As a SC fan, I think you got the perfect bracket. Really don’t see a loss for you until the championship game if that. SC has MD, ND, and UCLA in its side of the bracket….tough outs. Then if we hold serve, we play Stanford in the semis which I think we match up with the worst. I would prefer UConn’s bracket but in Greenville.

I saw many on here hoping for the bracket you got. Should be a fun ride.
I concede UConn is in a favorable bracket but think you are way overstating the “tough out” potential of SC’s bracket. First, one of Maryland or ND will be out anyway. Maryland has traditionally crumpled like a wet paper bag against teams that play tough, physical defense. Not only that, but they have absolutely no answer for SC’s stable of bigs! Notre Dame might have had a puncher’s chance with Mabrey and Miles healthy, but virtually none now. It doesn’t seem likely Miles will play at all and even if she does, she’s unlikely to be at anywhere near 100%.
As for UCLA, notwithstanding an upset in the Pac12 tournament in which UCLA’s freshman PG was the game’s high scorer and made 12-13 free throws, they do not inspire me with any confidence that they have the wherewithal to compete against SC’s defense and dominant bigs! Stanford essentially lost that game on the free throw line and I doubt lightning will strike twice. They (UCLA) simply don’t imo, have the horses to compete with SC. They’re just not outstanding in any aspect of the game. With MD or ND, you can at least see a remote possibility of a great offensive night or (if healthy) a dominant performance by a legitimate star (Miles) coupled with an off night by SC, but UCLA? Let’s face it, their secondary initials could easily be BLAH! Their “star” player is a career 37% and 32% volume shooter and while much ballyhooed, their freshman, Kiki Rice, only manages 40% and 19%! I don’t think Dawn is exactly shaking!
I won’t say SC is an absolute lock for the NC game but I seriously doubt any of those three teams will be anything more than a splat on SC’s windshield!

Reaction Score
Villanova is a good Big East team. I'm not convinced that Villanova would finish above 7th if they played in the ACC. Maybe 9th..
We shall see how that plays out in the ncaa tournament. I see Nova is n the sweet 16. Don’t see 7-9 Acc teams getting there. Maybe 3.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Essentially the same thing Ivey said before the ACC tournament: she's being evaluated and is day to day.

Reaction Score
Honestly appears to be the best case scenario for Uconn. We can argue that our resume warranted a one seed, but we were given a gift by the committee. Had we snagged the last number one, we’d likely have to face either Iowa or Stanford in the elite 8, and SC in the national semis.

We can only potentially face one of these teams (South Carolina, Stanford, Iowa) the three teams I was more nervous about.

Ohio State is definitely a tricky matchup, they have shown they are never out of a game, can shoot the ball, run a press. It will be an intriguing matchup.

I’m interested to watch the ACC perform. I’ve felt they have been overrated this season, and VA Tech seemed to capitalize on that to get a one seed.

Overall, if Uconn plays to potential, they have as good of a shot as anyone. And seem to have a favorable draw on paper. But we play the games for a reason.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
We shall see how that plays out in the ncaa tournament. I see Nova is n the sweet 16. Don’t see 7-9 Acc teams getting there. Maybe 3.

Well three ACC teams are hosting, and I would bet all three will advance. 3 face an uphill battle. Miami would have to beat Indiana, FSU vs Iowa, and State vs Utah. Louisville has a chance vs Texas, and Chapel Hill has a real shot vs Ohio State.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Good Night GIF by filmeditor
Ha ha....Christmas (n March) came early for UConn this year. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
All it means to me, is that all who face uconn have no chance. I can't believe they snubbed us on the tournament reveal show. No camera in Connecticut. And also changed to the next reveal real quick. But that's OK. They do all thier talking on the court. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
All it means to me, is that all who face uconn have no chance. I can't believe they snubbed us on the tournament reveal show. No camera in Connecticut. And also changed to the next reveal real quick. But that's OK. They do all thier talking on the court. Go Huskies.

Do you remember the last time there was a camera in Connecticut? I think that's Geno's decision.

Reaction Score
UConn's best hope might be for a Stanford or Iowa to beat SC in the Semis. Stanford has the size and experience to match-up well, and with Iowa, you never know. I dont think SC will be beat before then - maybe Maryland can test them but I doubt it. UConn matches up much better with Stanford (or anyone else really) than SC. As Geno said, you need some "luck" to win a Title.

Reaction Score
I want to congratulate the selection committee for their excellent work in picking the teams, seeding them, and setting up the brackets. The relative lack of mournful howls is a testament to a job well done.

The only team with a justifiable gripe is Virginia Tech.

Reaction Score
Lobo is taking the same stance as I imagine the UConn team is doing. Let it show on the court and shut everyone else up. No need to talk now.

Reaction Score
Question; The NCAA says you can play three games and still claim a redshirt year so do we see Paige and Ice in the EE? Just throwing that out there.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I can assure you that Duke would put up at least 47 points on Iowa. :mad:

If Duke and Iowa meet, aint no way that Iowa is reaching their ppg average. I'm pretty sure no team has done that this season vs Duke. Other than i guess Indiana.. Who else in the Big 10 plays intense woman to woman defense?
I think it's possible that Duke can outscore Caitlin

Reaction Score
I tip my hat to you! :):cool:
Lobo is taking the same stance as I imagine the UConn team is doing. Let it show on the court and shut everyone else up. No need to talk now.
True Lobo is a professional and acts accordingly
However if you look very closely I think that when Caitlin (I hope) is POY over Boston Rebecca will have a small completely professional smile on her face for her coworker Peck

Reaction Score
Question; The NCAA says you can play three games and still claim a redshirt year so do we see Paige and Ice in the EE? Just throwing that out there.
If you play even a single minute bye bye redshirt season.

Reaction Score
Do you remember the last time there was a camera in Connecticut? I think that's Geno's decision.
I think pre-Stewie years? It's been a while, but UConn used to be one of the schools they'd always show.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I'm old enough to remember UConn shown celebrating..
I remember them being shown, but the celebration was very subdued to the point that no one even stood up and clapped. The commentator said UConn is all business.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I remember them being shown, but the celebration was very subdued to the point that no one even stood up and clapped. The commentator said UConn is all business.
Not sure Geno is a fan of that stuff - tourney reactions, cameras in locker room at halftime, being mic-ed up, etc.

Reaction Score
Just the contrast in styles. UGA would no doubt get Clark flustered and frustrated
I can assure you that Duke would put up at least 47 points on Iowa. :mad:

If Duke and Iowa meet, aint no way that Iowa is reaching their ppg average. I'm pretty sure no team has done that this season vs Duke. Other than i guess Indiana.. Who else in the Big 10 plays intense woman to woman defense?
Probably, regarding Clark vs. Georgia. But to wish that matchup on anybody is women's college basketball's version of sadism. If they do meet, I'd expect Iowa to win, just hoping they'd come out of it physically intact.

As for the Hawkeyes scoring their average vs. the Duke, should they meet, I'd be shocked if they did. I wholly respect Duke's team and its defensive style, sort of akin to how Tony Bennett has carved out a perennial powerhouse just to your north.

Yet I still believe Iowa has a fairly healthy margin for error. If it gets to the 60s, I'd be pretty sure the Hawkeyes would win, and that's all that matters. By the way, I hope they do meet. It would be a really interesting contrast in style, and the Blue Devils limit teams without brutalizing them as Georgia tends to do. And, one of them would be on to the Elite Eight, and fully capable of advancing to the Final Four.

Cheers, Triad. Here's hoping your teams fare well in both tournaments.:cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member