OC Requirements/Job Posting | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OC Requirements/Job Posting

Reaction Score
Prince was a OC/QB coach at Portland State.
Prince bounced around a LOT for multiple short stays, but he's held the following roles and others listed in the attached Detroit Lions' bio: Boise St OC 2011-13, Passing Coordinator 2003, Colorado Pass Game Coordinator 2010, the aforementioned Portland St OC/QB 1999-2000, Japanese X League OC 96-97, Fort Lewis College OC/QB 94-95, etc.

Reaction Score
As long as the guy coming in can develop and call game plans, develops the young QB’s on this roster, is a good recruiter like Rhatt was, and runs a similar offense to what Lashlee brought here I don’t care who it is. I would much rather see a younger guy than retread though.

Reaction Score
Anyone else think Dave Benedict has a say in this hire?! Or is this solely an Edsall hire?
DB is RE’s boss. Of course he’ll have a say in who is hired. He’s the safety net to protect against a WTF guy. RE will have to sell his choice to DB. If DB isn’t buying, he won’t be hired.

Reaction Score
I think Toledo guy is a good fit. Was hearing Yale OC but unless he has previous FBS/NFL experience he’s out.

Rich Rod
I don't think Rich Rod would pass the ethics portion of the process

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I don't think Rich Rod would pass the ethics portion of the process
35BD0A69-1923-4A43-B398-8300904F29CD.gif

Reaction Score
I would expect it to work the same way as in industry. After a preliminary phone interview the candidate visits Storrs. The interviewee talks for half an hour to an hour with a number of people including RE2.0, DB, the other two coordinators, assistants on the offense side, couple other people in the athletic department. You are looking for fit, folks. RE does the first slot in the morning, the lunch, and the wrap-up in the evening which might also include dinner. Who else is invited is pretty much up to him. A meeting is held the next day where views are made known. Decision to proceed to the next step (the short list) is made by RE with input from DB. Nothing unusual.

Reaction Score
I would expect it to work the same way as in industry. After a preliminary phone interview the candidate visits Storrs. The interviewee talks for half an hour to an hour with a number of people including RE2.0, DB, the other two coordinators, assistants on the offense side, couple other people in the athletic department. You are looking for fit, folks. RE does the first slot in the morning, the lunch, and the wrap-up in the evening which might also include dinner. Who else is invited is pretty much up to him. A meeting is held the next day where views are made known. Decision to proceed to the next step (the short list) is made by RE with input from DB. Nothing unusual.

Likely not going to be that complex from my experience in a several of these searches. Posting is pulled on January 12 @ 12:01am based on posting. Contacts/candidates. are likely already being "screened"/"interviewed"; might not even be a campus visit if candidate is familiar to RE & the decision-makers are satisfied. Would not be surprised if if hire is announced within couple days after posting is pulled. Sometimes the contract negotiation takes longer than the selection process; don't be surprised if the initial confirmation is a memorandum of agreement with contract to be finalized later.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm touching up my resume this week for a potential internal promotion at work.
I'll submit mine for this job too. It should allow me to use these two job opportunities as leverage to get a better package from the job I end up choosing.
And, by applying for the OC job, should I not get selected, it allows me full reign to complain against whichever dubious candidate they do choose.
Plus you can add "Candidate for Offensive Coordinator at FBS School" to your resume.

Reaction Score
Likely not going to be that complex from my experience in a several of these searches. Posting is pulled on January 12 @ 12:01am based on posting. Contacts/candidates. are likely already being "screened"/"interviewed"; might not even be a campus visit if candidate is familiar to RE & the decision-makers are satisfied. Would not be surprised if if hire is announced within couple days after posting is pulled. Sometimes the contract negotiation takes longer than the selection process; don't be surprised if the initial confirmation is a memorandum of agreement with contract to be finalized later.
Well, if RE is the sole decision maker that could happen. This position is too important for that. The AD and others are gonna want the full dog and pony.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I hope this isn't such a cold hire that candidates need to be brought in for face to face.

Reaction Score
Well, if RE is the sole decision maker that could happen. This position is too important for that. The AD and others are gonna want the full dog and pony.

I'm sure RE & DB are hand in hand on this one; others are involved. It's a fluid process that moves pretty seamlessly. My experience is that it is not uncommon for "informal" shortlists to be kept for key positions on the staff - the OC would be one of those positions.

Reaction Score
For the Boneyard's über alles gridiron gurus and legitimate OC candidates alike, roughly 55 hours remain to submit your resumes. Hurry up!

Reaction Score
Locksley is an awful coach. I want nothing to do with him
He would immediately become the best recruiter on the staff.

The old saying goes, the johnny's and joe's are more important than the x's and o's.

Reaction Score
He would immediately become the best recruiter on the staff.

The old saying goes, the johnny's and joe's are more important than the x's and o's.
He's failed everywhere he's been outside of being an analyst at Alabama

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I've decided that I prefer a guy with recruiting ties to Ohio. I think we are under represented in an area that produces a lot of QB's for the MAC that are consistently better than what we bring in. Other positions as well but, there always seem to be QB's in that league that should be playing at a higher level.

Really, I just want a guy who can coach this squad into the endzone and don't really care where he is from. But, I think the Ohio thing is a good idea.

Reaction Score
Well I'm glad we've got someone. When do they usually announce it? The Monday after the posting period closes?

The NFL experience has me a little worried. I hope we aren't going back to a pro-style offense
Unless it's a New England pro style offense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom